South essex (southeast essex?) wildfowling club.

fse10

Hi anybody belong to this club, as myself & a friend are looking to join spoke to the club sec who said to come along to the club meeting on the 9th in Ongar which we did. Only to find out we needed a proposer who would take us out for the first year as probationary members .Pain in the bum as my friend use to shoot on this clubs marsh & went to some of their work party's with a mate of his who was a member but has moved to Scotland. So cheeky question are there any members on here that would be kind enough to propose myself & my friend for probationary membership i know it's a big ask but if you don't ask you don't get. Was thinking of joining KWCA but like the idea of a smaller club.

Regards Paul.

The jewel in their crown is Bridgemarsh Island on the Crouch east of North Fambridge, but I think that may be a syndicate within the club type affair.

fse10 - KWCA share ground with Leigh on Sea Wildfowlers and have some ground at Barling, N.E of Southend.

They have marshes in battlesbridge and up tollesbry way, or whatever it's called.

Was going to join but decided against. All ready belong to a club.

If you don't know anyone in the South Essex it's very difficult to get in.You are reliant on your proposer taking you out and older members seem reluctant to take this on.I was lucky in knowing one of the committee ( indeed I also became a committee member) and had no problems.They are a bit of a stick in the mud club I 'm afraid with an ageing membership .They had four areas open to general members plus you may if deemed a suitable candidate be able to join The Bridgemarsh Island Trust.This is not a cheap option and you will need a boat to access the Island.The Island was the first purchased with help from WAGBI( now BASC) in the early 1960's.If this club could ever be coaxed into joining up with say the BWA it would ideal. Several other Essex clubs ( check withBASC) will welcome you with open arms.Have you tried the Colchester or Canvey both offer wildfowling and pigeon shooting ?

The jewel in their crown is Bridgemarsh Island on the Crouch east of North Fambridge, but I think that may be a syndicate within the club type affair.

fse10 - KWCA share ground with Leigh on Sea Wildfowlers and have some ground at Barling, N.E of Southend.

It is and it's alot of money, but the amount of duck that pass over there is incredible, you can see them when you are walking on north fambridge.

Would be good if they joined the BWA, great idea.

Hi anybody belong to this club, as myself & a friend are looking to join spoke to the club sec who said to come along to the club meeting on the 9th in Ongar which we did. Only to find out we needed a proposer who would take us out for the first year as probationary members .Pain in the bum as my friend use to shoot on this clubs marsh & went to some of their work party's with a mate of his who was a member but has moved to Scotland. So cheeky question are there any members on here that would be kind enough to propose myself & my friend for probationary membership i know it's a big ask but if you don't ask you don't get. Was thinking of joining KWCA but like the idea of a smaller club.

Fse10, KWCA are a big club, but have lots of ground spread over 5 counties. Worth a second look.

Regards Paul.

That would be a superb idea. I was lucky enough to be part of the Blue House farm/Hyde Marsh syndicate within the BWA before Essex Wildlife Trust bought it in the sealed bid auction, which is the fresh marsh just to the west of Bridgemarsh and the numbers of duck had to be seen to be believed.

fse10 - The Blackwater WA (BWA) would be well worth a look at joining, with marshes and pigeon shooting within easy reach of you.

It is and it's alot of money, but the amount of duck that pass over there is incredible, you can see them when you are walking on north fambridge.

Would be good if they joined the BWA, great idea.

Edited by Penelope

Why not take it one step further the ultimate Essex club .Talking to members of various clubs over the years it's got to be BWA , Colchester and South Essex.Miles of foreshore, many marshes owned outright ,and huge financial clout.Sadly I can't see it happening but you can always dream.United we stand divided we fall?

But stay within the county.

Why not take it one step further the ultimate Essex club .Talking to members of various clubs over the years it's got to be BWA , Colchester and South Essex.Miles of foreshore, many marshes owned outright ,and huge financial clout.Sadly I can't see it happening but you can always dream.United we stand divided we fall?

Thanks, for all the replies gents. Still undecided on which way to go, my shooting buddy has said thinks if we keep showing our face's at the pub where South Essex hold their meetings on meeting night we might get lucky & get one of the old boys to take us out. Will look at the blackwater club & may rethink Kent as have as leigh wildfowlers have gone in with them & i quite like the look of the salting's in Barling & Potton island. You would of thought these clubs would want new blood coming in instead of an ageing membership that don't get out a lot or turn up to work party's & other events. Mini rant over think i pop over my club lake as is shut at the mo to feed it would be rude not to take a gun with me. :innocent:

If you want to shoot this season I'd try one of the other clubs.While I was a member of the South Essex two guys were into their second season and still no one had taken them out.Once cleared on the individual marshes ( acompanied by a mentor ) most other clubs will allow you out on your own.The draw back with the Kent is having to book in advance for most of their marshes.If you can predict weather conditions etc all well and good.Horses for courses I suppose.Best of luck in finding a club .

Once cleared on the individual marshes ( acompanied by a mentor ) most other clubs will allow you out on your own.

As is the case with the Blackwater. Very useful to get one under your belt, then work through the others as and when. BWA is booking too, as you know, but never had an issue booking the day before or even on the day in all my time as a member.

Yes indeed the BWA have a great deal of shooting so you can phone in on the day and the chances of not being able to shoot are remote.Shooting Barling and Potton will require you to book well in advance.You will find the BWA very supportive of new members aiming to give them every assistance needed to safely shoot on the marsh.

I am a Kent member, but live north of the river.

The permit system seemed daunting at first, but I've had no issues arranging something, even at short notice. I've shot the Barling saltings a lot. There is a neighbouring fresh marsh site this season too. The online permit system has expanded to most sites this season and I find it excellent. There's no need for a mentor either; help yourself.

Potton Island is a fun outing, but does take a little more organisation to go out accompanied with the LOSWA guys. They'll see you right though. Nice chaps.

I was a Colchester member for a while and they are good guys with good ground too. It was just a little too far for me to travel regularly.

You have a fair few tempting options. Just make sure you make one before 20th Feb. Best of luck.

Edited by pob

I'm a member of Canvey Island Wildfowl and Conservation Association and they are very friendly, experienced and welcoming. Serious about safety and the reputation of the sport too which is great to see. A mate of mine got in by getting BASC to give him a recommendation letter, then he got me in. They also have pigeon shooting on a few farms which I take advantage quite a bit, and a couple of flighting ponds in addition to the foreshore. Well worth a look and we always want new members!

I'm a member of Canvey Island Wildfowl and Conservation Association and they are very friendly, experienced and welcoming. Serious about safety and the reputation of the sport too which is great to see. A mate of mine got in by getting BASC to give him a recommendation letter, then he got me in. They also have pigeon shooting on a few farms which I take advantage quite a bit, and a couple of flighting ponds in addition to the foreshore. Well worth a look and we always want new members!

Hi Zechk, any info would be good as looked on net & a lot of canveys web site says click on drop down but doesn't work. Fee's where they shot etc p.m if you prefer.

Regards FSE10.

All this talk of wildfowling in Essex has stirred up the blood and I am now in the process of rejoining the BWA . I think me and the old dog have a few more seasons in us.Hopefully will be out on the marsh in the not to distant future and who knows we may even bag a few duck.I'm lucky enough to to do a bit of game ,pigeon and general pest control shooting but there is something just a little bit special about wildfowling and I am sure the wildfowlers reading this would agree.

All this talk of wildfowling in Essex has stirred up the blood and I am now in the process of rejoining the BWA . I think me and the old dog have a few more seasons in us.Hopefully will be out on the marsh in the not to distant future and who knows we may even bag a few duck.I'm lucky enough to to do a bit of game ,pigeon and general pest control shooting but there is something just a little bit special about wildfowling and I am sure the wildfowlers reading this would agree.

Nice one, you know it makes sense :good:

If I had a dog, I'd be right behind you.

Just in case anyone reading this thread thinks I have a downer on the South Essex or the Kent I don't.They are of course free to run things within their clubs as the see fit. The Kent with five hundred members can't have them all turning up on the same day on the same marsh so shooting must be regulated.Which ever club fse10 decides to join I wish him every success .We Essex boys are indeed lucky to have so many clubs in the county and with that a much greater choice than most .

• 4 weeks later...