Pigeon choke

Matt Gould

Depends on your shot accuracy mate , only you can answer that question really , if your confident that you can crack them with the full load of shot leave it as it is , i recently changed to quarter and half over the rape stubble, so as there decoying there pretty still and taking all the shot , but if you have variation in your shot and your not always going to have birds in the decoys and your going to attempt a few long range passing birds then a quarter is not going to reach them unless your called MR GEORGE DIGWEED !

1/4 is perfect.1/2 is perfect...........so either!! Of all the variables with a shotgun I'd put choke near the bottom of what is important.No doubt you will try one then the other and form an opinion based upon which day you shoot best.....my conclusion is the choke bit is almost irrelevant but you will find the 1 you prefer!.....

As Ditchman say's , its Horses for courses. Distance and how much lead your putting in the air. Say, 21 Gram at 35 yards on a Cylinder choke, you could fly an Air Bus through the pattern, without a scratch.

Your 'choke' determines the diameter of shot pattern at a given distance. As a guideline the further away, the tighter the choke required, to cut down on the gaps between each tiny ball. Try Some decorators backing paper between two stakes , at a set range (decoy - hide distance ) , Draw a nine inch circle in it and fire a shell at it, then count how many holes are in the circle.(Obviously making sure there is a safe backstop and safely within a controlled area). Change paper, and choke ,and see what differs until you get the most holes in the nine inch circle. Remember though ,You want to bring the pigeon down humanely , not shred it.

I know you old hands all know this , but a beginner may not.

Edited by Longbower

I know most of this but what i was trying to ask is because i am now having ago with a 20 would i need to go up choke size up to get the same kill as my 12 whats runnin a quater, dont think i explained myself well.

Why complicate things? Just use the choke you are happiest with and get on out there. I use 32 grm 6's through Full for all my corvid and pigeon decoying, regardless of whether I'm under a flightline or they're floating in to decoys, but that's my personal choice and it works well for me. It is entirely up to you and what you prefer.

If you're running 1/4 through your 12 and it works for you, then do the same through your 20; I doubt either you or the birds will notice the difference. Trying to find the equivalent choke pattern through your 20 as you achieve through your 12 is a pointless exercise in my opinion. People get so bogged down in choke choice. I have lost count of the number of people who start questioning their choke choice when they miss birds .If you miss, it wont be down to the choke, not unless you're shooting at 75 yard birds with skeet anyhow.

Slap 1/4 in, get out there, and enjoy yourself.

Why complicate things? Just use the choke you are happiest with and get on out there. I use 32 grm 6's through Full for all my corvid and pigeon decoying, regardless of whether I'm under a flightline or they're floating in to decoys, but that's my personal choice and it works well for me. It is entirely up to you and what you prefer.

If you're running 1/4 through your 12 and it works for you, then do the same through your 20; I doubt either you or the birds will notice the difference. Trying to find the equivalent choke pattern through your 20 as you achieve through your 12 is a pointless exercise in my opinion. People get so bogged down in choke choice. I have lost count of the number of people who start questioning their choke choice when they miss birds .If you miss, it wont be down to the choke, not unless you're shooting at 75 yard birds with skeet anyhow.

Never has a truer word been spoken as Mr Nike once said just do it

Why complicate things? Just use the choke you are happiest with and get on out there.

I use 32 grm 6's through Full for all my corvid and pigeon decoying, regardless of whether I'm under a flightline or they're floating in to decoys, but that's my personal choice and it works well for me. It is entirely up to you and what you prefer.

If you're running 1/4 through your 12 and it works for you, then do the same through your 20; I doubt either you or the birds will notice the difference. Trying to find the equivalent choke pattern through your 20 as you achieve through your 12 is a pointless exercise in my opinion.

People get so bogged down in choke choice.

I have lost count of the number of people who start questioning their choke choice when they miss birds .

If you miss, it wont be down to the choke, not unless you're shooting at 75 yard birds with skeet anyhow.

The above should be affixed to the top of this forum for all to see, especially the red bits!

• 2 weeks later...