Wheels!

Craigyboy21

Just bought a 56 plate Mitsubushi Shogun Sport 2.5td, it's got 41k on the clock & is good order. It's a Trojan so has got 16" wheels (the Warrior has 18") I'm thinking about adding 18" wheels as they look better, will this add or detract from off road performance?

I'll be using the vehicle 95% on road use but occasionally across fields & tracks etc.

Also what are good all terrain tyres to use, the front 2 only have 2mm on them so need changed soon & I was thinking of putting some all terrain boots on it but not sure what ones.

Any advice appreciated.

Agreed with the last 2 posts.

Also ...

Bigger wheels = less flex in the tyre sidewall, so even with A/T tyres on, it'll probably get stuck before an identical vehicle with 16" wheels.

Bigger wheels = more expensive tyres

Bigger wheels = more road noise

Bigger wheels = more crashiness with potholes, etc. Leading to more wear and tear on wheels, suspension, your back

The way that I see it if at any time you want to go over a road curbstone it will be a whole lot better having several inches of tyre to flex before damaging the alloy wheel I had a friend who had a VW van with big wheels and the tyres was little more that 2".5 bigger than the wheels and I said just that to him if he had a plumbing job on a narrow road and needed to park on the path then it would not be a good idea to try and do it was not long before he ditched the fancy alloys and went back to the normal ones.

We've just put a set of 4 Hankook ATs on our '07 Shogun Sport.

Had it on the fields at the shoot this weekend, though it's so dry I think it could have coped on road tyres.

Thread here with where I got them from, very reasonably priced too, imo.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/294309-bf-goodrich-tyres-at/

Post 5 on the thread

Edited by robbiep

Stick with 16" as it's a popular Size,just put some cooper at3's on my disco and they are extremely good on the road wet and dry and also extremely good off road. Standard size on the disco was 205 80 16 which I changed to 265 75 16 witch have now given me more ground clearance between the floor and diff and amazing traction off road,I wouldn't say they where noisy on the road but my exhaust only has a back box.

Not sure either of these will concern you but If you are increasing the overall diameter the gearing will rise slightly which will also result in your speedo not being wrong

but you can decrease the sidewall depth, as long as the overall diameter is the same he should be ok, but not on a 4x4, that just looks lame, the only off roading he'll be doing is parking up on the pavement :lol: