Hiding dog

michufc

Well I had a new one today I went for am mouch about the farm today with spot and had a shot at a pigeon that flushed and spot went and hid in the holy hedge and refused to come out so I had to clamber my way into the hedge and got scratched up to high hell to get him out.

Now I didn't tell him off just calmly removed him from there and he went straight back in. So my thoughts are he has a issue with shot all of a sudden now I would like some advise on how to go about easing his anxiety with it I have a thought of taking him out with my more experienced cocker to show him it's ok thoughts please and suggestions

ATB mikepost-18375-0-52770800-1416085069_thumb.jpg

No just on his own like he was having a diva moment.

Oh and he didn't like the fireworks either after some numpty had a massive fireworks display about 3 doors away

Try taking him to a gun club mate to get him used to the bangs then go from there.thats what im going to do with my 2 pups so it will be like every day life,they got used to the fire works so thats my next step.atb mate

I haven't really got a local clay ground as my local one sadly closed due to the owner passing away

Sounds like he's gunshy to me. Have you shot over him before? If you knew he was wary then to be honest it's a bit silly letting a shot off next to him. I wouldent take him straight to a clay ground but go out with a friend and let them shoot while you are making a fuss of the dog at some distance away and if he dog is ok with it then gradually get a bit closer. I had a gunshy dog who was not a gundog and can promise you that if you do the wrong thing now you will ruin that dog for life.

No I have shot over him before and he has been fine really don't get it but like you say back to basics it's such a shame as he is a cracking dog proving to be really good until now so I will do my best to get him back better than before.

I didn't no whether it's a good idea taking him out with my others to see if it will show that it's fun not scary your thoughts please

Try taking him back to basics for a short time. Hit a saucepan with its lid then give him a treat. Make any sudden loud noises in an enclosed area where he can,t go hide then reward him and make a big fuss of him. He will soon get the idea that loud noises are good hopefully. Once he is accepting other loud noises try the gun again at a distance. If all else fails try Mutt Muffs.

Yes I will go back to basics I took him out with my experienced cocker this morning just to let him have some reassurance that it's fun to retrieve. I put my stick in the ground and popes his lead on and stepped roughly 60 to 70 yards away sat my cocker up threw the dummy and shot the starter in my game bag and then sent my cocker as I took the shot spot sat bolt upright and didn't really show any signs of stress so lots of praise then I let him have a free run with my cocker

Yes I will take a few steps back I think and pair him up to give him the confidence again as he doesn't seem phased by anything when he is with his mate.

Now after telling my friend he said couldn't i de sensitise him by letting him have loads of retrieves with his mate and just keep firing the starter as I throw the dummy. I said I have not heard of that method

Well I started this morning by clapping my hands loudly as he was eating his breakfast and at first he was put off but but soon settled down and with plenty of fuss he was wagging his tail like a mad one and scoffing his food down so I think a gentle approach is going to be the key

It seems like the only obvious trigger (with you having shot over him before) for him suddenly becoming nervous of a loud bang is the fireworks. I wouldn't be clapping my hand and banging dishes now, he'll think you've gone nuts if you've never done it before.

It sounds like he just got a fright.

If possible, I would be building on what you have already done - sit him up and let him see you fire a shot, throw a retrieve and give it to another dog from a reasonable distance away. Then fire a shot from a distance and give him the retrieve, make it easy, and fire the shot away from him but throw the retrieve towards him. Then hunt him on open, easy ground, let him see the gun, sit him up, throw a retrieve, fire the shot, send him. Etc etc, make it obvious what your intentions are just now, rather than casting him off into a hedge and firing a shot over his backside when he least expects it.

Good luck, doesn't sound like there's too much wrong.

Edited by WGD

It seems like the only obvious trigger (with you having shot over him before) for him suddenly becoming nervous of a loud bang is the fireworks. I wouldn't be clapping my hand and banging dishes now, he'll think you've gone nuts if you've never done it before.

It sounds like he just got a fright.

I must admit that made me laugh my wife was watching me out of the window this morning and she said why was giving spot a round of applause lol

Well just a update from today I took spot out with my older cocker and the 20 bore. Well I went into the woods and they where hunting together really well and then a pigeon came over head and I took the shot but unfortunately I missed. Spot went to hide but came as soon as I gave lots of incouragement and went back into full hunting mode. I had the chance to shoot a tree rat but I thought that it would not make a good retrieve for spot.

Here are some pictures of the farm outingpost-18375-0-93226600-1416682912_thumb.jpg

post-18375-0-50008500-1416682961_thumb.jpgpost-18375-0-85741300-1416682975_thumb.jpg

Well just a update from today I took spot out on his own today up the farm and he was a bit nervous and on a go slow I had I shot at a pigeon and he went to hide in the hedge again but came out straight away with encouragement. So I popped his lead on took two or three paces in the other direction and took the lead off and it was like nothing had happened and went back to work. At least he came out this time so he hats a step in the right direction. I then took him over to the other side of the farm and there was a large cock pheasant which spot marked very well and sat without me giving a command and looked at me well it's Sunday so no shooting game anyway but I told him to get on and he flushed and sat which was ace then in the same field he must of flushed around 10 birds and sat to the birds flight so frustrating that I couldn't shoot to give him the reward but I was pleased with him anyway. Just got to crack this fear thing he has built up and I should have a fantastic working companion