Shogun Pinin

wildfowler.250

Whats the thoughts on the shogun pinin? I quite fancied one as I'm after a small 4x4 for shooting,(i'll probably take the back seats out). Everyone seems to rate the Jimnys but I don't really like the looks of them and the pinin has a slightly larger engine?

What are the pinins like on/off road and fuel consumption? Im guessing looking for rust would be an issue?

Many thanks!

When they first came out I drove one under instruction on the West point (Exeter) off road course. Apart from impressing the hell out of me, its capability also frightened me to death. I have no idea though how long one would last given that degree of continual use. Also, I can't answer for fuel consumption. The only reason I didn't get one was as you say was the need to remove the rear seats to get any decent storage and this was impractical for a single car ownership. As many if not most won't have even been driven through much more than a puddle, you should find something to suit.

The pinin is my lamping vehicle of choice and I wouldn't be without it, I've had it about 2 years and the first thing I did was put some insa turbo tyres on the back and it really does go anywhere, 4x4 ability is awesome, climbs any slope I'm brave enough to try, good low ratio box helps, turning circle is very good for those tight farm lanes, mine does 27mpg when lamping and 30 on open road. I put the rear seat flat and I've got all the room I need, only issue I got is the lack of ground clearance, could do with a lift kit really but mine has bash plate under neath so I'm not to bothered.

Mine is a thirsty girl that I would hate to part with. The wife - who shares its use with me is only little didn't like the noise of the mud tyres it had so I have slightly quieter ones on it now,

It got me into and out of a lorra lorra mud situations while I enjoyed playing with it but I've got most of that out of my system now. So it's small and thirsty but luverly.

The 1.8 GDI engine is known to need a de-coke or deal with a lumpy idle. I tolerate it.

Edited by Dave-G

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

bought a 2002 2L gdi pinin for £350 a couple of weeks ago, i thought it might snap in half or something terrible on the way home but so far it seems ideal as my work/runabout/shooting wagon,

its comfy, warm an dry (im used to riding motorbikes 365 days a year so its total luxury !!) never fails to start and is averaging 30 mpg - happy days :)