Variation help

bullet1747

Hi guys

I have 22 hornet on open licence to be honest I fancy something a little bigger , question is wot and how ,I would have to sell the hornet first but I would prefer to trade it in ,he is my problem I haven't had any conformation that I would be granted an other rifle as I don't know wot to go for , I would love to be able to but an old Enfield or mossin nagant but I don't think I would be able to have this on my cert lol as I have no reason for one , as for the bullet I've shot thousands in my time before some one says experience , wot would you go for, and do you think they would swap the variation , there is some muntjak on my permission loads of foxes that's why I got the hornet

Triple for fox and AOLQ would be a logical step but would deny you the larger deer if you have any on your land.

I shoot almost exclusively Muntjac with mine and like it a lot ; nice and light, flat and very very accurate.

If you have the opportunity for Roe then something bigger as recommended.

Best of luck,

Triple for fox and AOLQ would be a logical step but would deny you the larger deer if you have any on your land.

I shoot almost exclusively Muntjac with mine and like it a lot ; nice and light, flat and very very accurate.

If you have the opportunity for Roe then something bigger as recommended.

Best of luck,

+1

I would imagine for this choice you'd have no problem. As you make no mention of anything other than muntjac, why would you need anything bigger? Playing the devil's advocate, should you go for the 243, for a start you may just hit a problem with, "where is your permission for the larger deer species?" it might even be 'closed' and possibly 'mentored'. It depends on various factors and emphasise the devil's advocate. With a 243, I'd be very reluctant to lose the 22Hornet though.

There was a time when a .243 would only be granted for deer, and you could only shoot a fox if it was on the land where you happened to be out stalking. Now, a .243 can be granted for fox control. If the OP asks for a .243, it would cover him for muntjac and larger deer, and also fox.

Assuming the land is cleared for .243 which may not always be the case.

I don't hold with bigger is always better ; personally I'd like to see triple two Roe legal here, although others may differ.

All the best,

personally I'd like to see triple two Roe legal here, although others may differ.

All the best,

+1. I have no axe to grind; simply that it does make sense. The only alternative is that it does not in Scotland.

I no longer shoot deer (roe) and never called myself a stalker - I was permitted by the estate to take two or three a year just to have some venison in the freezer - and always played by the rules. If for discussion purposes we add, the highly likely anyway, Scottish requirement of the minimum small deer velocity requirement to the English calibre requirements, I could never understand why it would be perfectly legal to shoot muntjac and CWD in England and also roe in Scotland at, say, 250 yards using the minimum required calibre levels but it would not be so when using an identical bullet delivering the same energy but doing so at 200 yards. In other words, any specification would include a minimum bullet weight and diameter but instead of a meaningless MV/ME - which in effect means any range that the shooter righty or wrongly wishes to consider - further then specifying a minimum striking energy.

Just my thoughts.

Never said bigger is better , just fancy a change

Land is cleared and I hold an open licence

Cheers guys

Adi

Yes, Adi, I wasn't quoting you as you said you were interested in something a little bigger :good:

Triple would be a logical step up for me and I guess I wouldn't miss the Hornet too much, .243 is a lot bigger than your Hornet.

If we look at the situation in Australia and NZ where there are no calibre restrictions, the shooters choice and by a long margin is .222. It will drop them all head shot upto 200m.

Wishing everyone a Peaceful Christmas.

Edited by Full Pelt