Building stalking experience

fieldwanderer

I'm looking to upgrade to a larger calibre rifle sometime over the next year or so because I'd like to get into stalking - I have Roe on my permissions and permission to shoot them.

When I put in for my current c/f for fox, the f.l.o agreed everything (.22/250 + aolq & open ticket) and while I was waiting for it to come through, the farmer asked me to thin the deer out :oops: when I asked to up the variation to .243, the firearms people started dragging their heels - so I left it alone, stupidly.

There was talk of Dsc1 and land inspections but, frankly, I think it was more about avoiding paperwork :/

So, the plan is to do my Dsc1 in the next few months and a couple of paid stalks over the year in the hope that it'll make everything run nice and smooth. I know there's no written rules that force me to do such things but, in my case, I think it'd probably make sense whilst also playing their game.

However, I have to admit I'm very new to the stalking scene and wondered if any of you could help in any way? Does the above sound like a good plan or can you think of a better way? Can you suggest any ways of building experience whilst keeping costs down a bit?

This is exactly what I had to do, Gloucestershire Firearms insisted on the DSC1 as I had little experience of shooting deer. I'm glad I did it as its led onto doing my DSC2 which opened a few doors to more stalking and I'm now an accredited witness for the DSC2. Recently I have heard that the same force will now give the choice of dsc1 or alternatively a mentoring condition. The DSC1 does give some important information on deer, law, safety and shot placement but does not give any hands on experience in stalking and the grallock. It is a certainly a steep learning curve when you have grassed your first fallow and your standing there with your knife wondering were to start so if you can go out with someone to show you the ropes it will help immensely. Being shown how to skin and butcher will also save you a lot of time in experimentation though there are some excellent footage on youtube to help you on the way.

Ah, I'm a little ahead of you in that respect mate, having gralloched two roe, butchering the second. Amazing what you can learn online.

That said, like I said earlier; I've no problems with doing the course or building up a little experience first to prove my "good reason". What I'm after is advice on how to best get that experience without spending too much.

Out of curiosity, would it be possible to do a deal with someone with the relevant rifle and conditions to come with me on my permission with them shooting first and then me using their rifle on another outing and they write some sort of statement to say they've stalked with me and found me to be up to the job (assuming they did of course)?

IMO the quickest solution would be find a trustworthy, experienced local stalker and have come onto your land with you as you have suggested.

I would have thought most would jump at the chance, they can write to your FEO to say they have mentored you for a reasonable period of time and are happy you can shot unaccompanied.

It may cost you a few beers & breakfasts, but in the grand scheme of things its nothing.

If I were you I would do the DSC1 anyway even if it just for your own education, you will learn a lot doing so.

IMO the quickest solution would be find a trustworthy, experienced local stalker and have come onto your land with you as you have suggested.

I would have thought most would jump at the chance, they can write to your FEO to say they have mentored you for a reasonable period of time and are happy you can shot unaccompanied.

It may cost you a few beers & breakfasts, but in the grand scheme of things its nothing.

If I were you I would do the DSC1 anyway even if it just for your own education, you will learn a lot doing so.

Spot on. That's pretty much what I did, I was mentored by someone with their DSC2 who then wrote a letter to the FLO stating I had been on x stalks and he considered me safe and experienced enough to go it alone. Off the back of that I was granted a .308 slot on my first license application with no attempt at adding conditions.

Hope that helps

Thank you all very much, sounds like I'm on the right track then.

As a related question, I'd like to start revising now to give myself a little head start. I nearly bought two books earlier that both looked to be good for what I'm after but I'm wondering if the ultimate deer data cd would be a better idea (though a bit more expensive than both books put together). Any thoughts/opinions?

Ah, I'm a little ahead of you in that respect mate, having gralloched two roe, butchering the second. Amazing what you can learn online.

That said, like I said earlier; I've no problems with doing the course or building up a little experience first to prove my "good reason". What I'm after is advice on how to best get that experience without spending too much.

Out of curiosity, would it be possible to do a deal with someone with the relevant rifle and conditions to come with me on my permission with them shooting first and then me using their rifle on another outing and they write some sort of statement to say they've stalked with me and found me to be up to the job (assuming they did of course)?

Not sure of the legalities of you using someone else's rifle on your ground, using someone else's rifle on their ground were they hold the stalking rights is another thing. I have recently been asked to mentor someone for 308 as they have the odd porker running onto their farm land, my force specified that the person in question has to apply for the calibre stating the reason to possess and if granted it would have a condition on it stating that he would only be able to go out with that calibre with his mentor for a period of 3 months. That said most forces have their own rules on such.

• 2 weeks later...

Get the ultimate deer data cd as it's a parrot q and a

Re you have, 'I'm a little ahead of you in that respect mate, having gralloched two roe, butchering the second. Amazing what you can learn online' We presume you knew what to look for before you entered it into the human food chain if you did so that is.... get yourself on thestalkingdirectory

Edited by kimh

Get the ultimate deer data cd as it's a parrot q and a

Re you have, 'I'm a little ahead of you in that respect mate, having gralloched two roe, butchering the second. Amazing what you can learn online' We presume you knew what to look for before you entered it into the human food chain if you did so that is.... get yourself on thestalkingdirectory

I've got U.D.D now. And yes, I did a fair bit of reading up first but it (the venison) only went as far as home so no problems legally at least.

Here's a question though regarding the ultimate deer data disc. In the deer I. D. Slides,there's two pictures that I'm convinced are roe does in winter coat, both have the tassle on their bum (sorry, can't remember the term) and both have the characteristic nose like the toe of a boot (broad, black and shiny (ish). Yet it says incorrect when I select female roe. Is it a known mistake or am I missing something?

Here's a question though regarding the ultimate deer data disc. In the deer I. D. Slides,there's two pictures that I'm convinced are roe does in winter coat, both have the tassle on their bum (sorry, can't remember the term) and both have the characteristic nose like the toe of a boot (broad, black and shiny (ish). Yet it says incorrect when I select female roe. Is it a known mistake or am I missing something?

Can you upload the picture to here?

Take a screen shot and up load it. Chances are it`s a CWD in a winter coat, look for the larger than life fluffy ears without a dark edge.

Have you got the David Stretton training manual yet?

Edited by kimh

I have the bds training manual too (in book form) and am currently working my way through the questions, searching for the correct answer and highlighting it, I'll then use it to mark mock tests which will in turn point me at what I need to re-read.

And a piccy, sorry about the quality but hopefully it's clear enough , what's wrong here?

20150308_214532_zpsj1fhf2gs.jpg