Speed Cameras

subsonicnat

A Bloke was talking on the TV the other day about Covert Speed Cameras.

That is Cameras that are not shown with warning signs, Yellow Box Etc.

He Did agree the way forward was Start and End Speed checks, to check average Speed on Motorways Duel Carriage ways etc..

These are far More Potent than The ordinary Speed cameras,, As you Cannot Beat Them..

No use Speeding then slowing down you would not be able to check the average yourself, it would be impossible..

in my opinion they are really effective, But Not if your a Driver though... Ah Well.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Urban and Rural roads if there is a speed camera in place then it is an indicator that this section of road has history and to such a degree that they deemed it necessary to warn you and slow you down. In most cases this means someone has died. The next time you see a speed camera remember it is there for a reason and close by someone died due to speeding...... sobering thought.

On Urban and Rural roads if there is a speed camera in place then it is an indicator that this section of road has history and to such a degree that they deemed it necessary to warn you and slow you down. In most cases this means someone has died. The next time you see a speed camera remember it is there for a reason and close by someone died due to speeding...... sobering thought.

well said

Whilst I agree with most of the above I think it should have said "someone died due to inappropriate speed".

The criteria for placement of a speed camera used to be a group (3/4) of casualties in a 200 metre stretch - didnt have to be fatalities, ideally 'speed related'. Things have changed a bit recently as 'Safety Camera' Partnerships now seem to be a thing of the past. I wonder where the revenue goes now - probably not into casualty prevention as it used to.

Or, some idiot stepped out in front of a car doing a few miles per hour over a speed limit that was set in the days of cross ply tyres and drum brakes.

No matter how slow you drive if some cretin walks out in to the road and two and a half tons of 4x4 drives over them they're dead.

It boils down to car doing a bit over an outdated limit, one arrogant twerp or doped up crackhead stepping out expecting car to give way, one quick and easy money maker.

But I will add that sometimes (rarely?) there's a need for speed deterrents.

Or, some idiot stepped out in front of a car doing a few miles per hour over a speed limit that was set in the days of cross ply tyres and drum brakes.

No matter how slow you drive if some cretin walks out in to the road and two and a half tons of 4x4 drives over them they're dead.

It boils down to car doing a bit over an outdated limit, one arrogant twerp or doped up crackhead stepping out expecting car to give way, one quick and easy money maker.

But I will add that sometimes (rarely?) there's a need for speed deterrents.

I am sorry but it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the build of the motor vehicle. You could have a vehicle that stopped instantly, but it is a complete and utter waste of time if the person driving the damned thing has no forward vision. I live on a 30 mph road where the average speed is around 55mph. I am regularly overtaken whilst driving at the legal speed limit. I start to left indicate some 150 yards from my driveway, at the same time watching my mirror. I know by the position of the following vehicle whether or not the driver has 'registered' my indicator (in most cases NOT), I then dab my brake pedal a few times, this sometimes gets their attention, mobile phone permitting, I then start my braking. I always stop on the carriageway and then reverse onto my drive, it makes it easier to get out again. The number of idiots that stop behind me and then start honking their horn, like it was my fault for being there. In my estimation there will never be enough speed cameras' and the simple answer to keeping your licence, is to drive to the legal limit. If you do not like that, then at least shut up when you do get caught. Sorry if I sound a bit cynical, but I have spent the best part of 30 years scraping the 'victims' off the roadways and the adjoining furniture, lamp posts, trees, other vehicles etc. Oh, and do not forget that someone has to deliver the bad news to relatives too, be they, and I quote "arrogant twerps or doped up crackheads" they are still someone's relation.

Edited by Westley

I am sorry but it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the build of the motor vehicle. You could have a vehicle that stopped instantly, but it is a complete and utter waste of time if the person driving the damned thing has no forward vision.

Sorry, my mistake, I didn't realise that speed cameras miraculously gave you forward vision. I was under the impression (obviously mistakenly) that whether you drove at 30 or 35mph your observation remained the same.

Thank you for putting me right on that :rolleyes:

What I do know is that vehicles can now stop in approximately half the distance they could when the speed limits were issued.

They are yet another tax.

Exactly.

That is what I am referring to, it is a shame that you fail to see it. YES, you need to think and look further ahead the faster you are driving, be that 5 mph or 150 mph. If you had the ability to look further ahead you would probably see the camera, long before you reached it. Just the mere position of your vehicle on the road depicts how much you will see or, more to the point, fail to see. Glad you see the speed camera as a tax.................it is one tax that I will not be paying.

The thread refers to covert cameras, even you will not see them. let's be honest here, cameras were/ are only ever a tax on motorists. Drivers slow down for the camera then speed up, it's been proven they do nothing for average speeds.

If the government really wanted to slow vehicles down then speed bumps are cheaper, and passing a law that all new vehicles from xxxxx must have speed limiters fitted would cost nothing.

The technology for limiters is in place, all gps systems show the speed limit and if fitted to new vehicles the customer would have to pay.

Limiter cost to the country = zero, income to country =- zero. Cameras income £££££££££££££££££££ Work it out, it's not rocket science.

And in answer to your post, 15mph or 150mph if your not looking where you're going you're going to crash. If a vehicle now stops in half the distance they used to then you don't need to see so far ahead, so in fact a car now at 40mph will be safer than when the limit of 30mph was set, therefore road safety is getting better although cars are faster.

Yeah, Yeah, I have heard them all before, usually when they are lying upside down in a ditch, "wasn't my fault, there was oil on the road",!" my super duper brakes locked up my wheels on the loose gravel" "not my fault, the Council had not gritted the road" I have to concede that you are right, cars are a lot safer now than they were when I passed a test, it is just a shame that the idiots behind the wheel have not kept up with the progress.

Only because they site them where everyone (even little old ladies) know it's perfectly safe to exceed the limit. And if you stick to the limit you cause chaos and create perfect conditions for an accident.

Most cameras are sited purely for money, not where needed. They even moved one by us that had been up a couple of weeks, they moved it about 50 yards to just out of sight. Is that in the interests of road safety then, surely if you can see it you'll slow down?

Speed cameras do not detect and charge commercial vehicles breaking their relative speed limit on the same road. So on a national speed limit single carriageway road a private car or motorbike should not exceed 60mph. A commercial vehicle that is not a car derived van has a limit of 50mph. That van can do 60mph which is over the speed limit and not be detected or prosecuted.

No need to shout by the way!

No the current speed limits are out of date and inappropiate as are the stopping distances in the Highway Code. Speed should be in accordance with conditions and ability I believe.

What I do believe though is regulation and control should be fair which it currently is not.

No the current speed limits are out of date and inappropiate as are the stopping distances in the Highway Code. Speed should be in accordance with conditions and ability I believe.

What I do believe though is regulation and control should be fair which it currently is not.

Sorry, I was replying to westleys post, I quite agree with you