Dog run panels

fenboy

As some of you may know after a earlier thread I am planning a new double kennel this year.

My intention is that I will be adding a Labrador bitch

For obvious reasons they are not going to be kenneled together , but is a solid dividing panel between the two runs needed ? is a "accident " likely to happen if it was just bar or mesh ?

Obviousley a solid panel would give me a 100% guarentee that a unwanted mating would take place but I must say I dislike the look of them.

So for those of you who keep both dogs and bitches , how do you have your kennel set up ?

Some will say otherwise BUT when the bitch comes in season the dog will more than likely be no good either as it will have other things on his mind kennelled so close to a distraction. Also make sure if you go ahead the internal wall is solid I've seen kennels chewed through so the dogs can get together.

I have my mini pinscher because the breeder had new kennels with bars. The stud dog went on hunger strike and when thin enough slipped through the bars on his run and mated a mini pinscher bitch by getting through the bars on her run. He also mated the in season pomeranian in the run next door too as some pom/pinscher crosses were available at the same time. The bars then had to be meshed at the bottom.

Good job gundogs are too big to do this, but as Jdog will affirm they will still go off there food.

No experience, but is there any way you could have a temporary solid panel for when the bitch is in season, that clips to the bars or zip ties or something 10 months of the year you can have the looks of an open looking run and 2 months the solid?

You could drill some holes in the solid panel and use a nut and bolt in conjunction with a large washer or flat bar on the mesh side to hold it in place.

Go on dogrunpanels.co.uk the 5cm bar fronts are down to £39 a panel I've just built a block of 5 indoor runs with solid middles up to 4ft high then the last 2ft is solid trellis or mesh when I get round to put them in.ive used solid melamine boards for the middles and beds so they can't chew anything.

Edited by lurchers

Last time i looked there was little price difference between 5 and 8 bars so i just got 5cm as then ur kennels are good for any pups/dogs without worrying which dog goes where.

There is a surprising number of 'unplanned' litters every year but i doubt many are concieved throu the bars, most will be carelessness with dates when excercising/training/walking either thinking its past or not in yet.

WGD makes a very good point about an in season bitch next to a dog, but even if ur dog was furtheraway it will always be close enough to smell it and be upset by it. But plenty of folk will keep both sexes so must be possible.

Why do u want a bitch? U are making ur life a lot more complicated and even when ur bitch is in season ur dog will either not be concentrating on work or possibly have the 'bitchy' smell about him so getting pestered by other dogs.

I'm guessing (possibly wrongly) u would like to breed the 2 together?

While i understand why people want to keep parts of their old dogs, in most cases ur far better just buying a decent pup of decen lines u like or using ur dog for a stud if it is good enough.

The chances of u buying a pup at 8 weeks and it being an ideal compliments/match to ur dog is slim really

No I am not wanting a bitch for breeding with my dog.

The main reason to be honest is that my current dog has been a total pain to train almost from day one , I have always had dogs with no bother but it's put me off having another .

I am hoping a bitch will mature sooner and all round be a easier dog to train

Nae bother, i can understand that.

In the past i'd prob say u would be right but with modern labs the differences between bitches and dog's is less than wot it used to be and dogs tend not to be jst as pig headed as some were in the past.

But every dog is different.

Just shows u shouldnae assume anything :whistling: I'm always amazed the people i meet/read on here planning prospective litters with dogs they either arenae even born yet or are not even trained and experienced and proven to be worth bredding from in the future

Dunno wot age ur dog is, only thing i'd possibly advice is get a 1 to 1 lesson of a decent trainer or even a few different ones until u find a stlye of trainer that suits ur dog.

Or mibee it wil just cick some day