Encouraging deer into a good place for shooting

malkiserow

Windfall apples work as an attractant, I have had good success with the trail cam using apples as bait.

Had everything from mice to fallow bucks, foxes to badgers.

How about transplanting some tasty stuff that roe like? any prunus species such as rose, fruit trees crab apple .Not sure about munties but roe are catholic in their tastes and like a bit of everything. Ive tried mollasses too but not had much success. Salt licks may only work in mineral deficient areas.

A trail cam will not only tell you whats passing through but more importantly when. Good luck! MM.

Pheasant feeder

This, or the contents of one, I have done this and seen it in action.

I have never tried apples, but tried a salt lick without a massive amount of success but from my understanding salt licks only work well when food is scarce.

Having bought a couple of blocks from Bushwear I was later told the best attractant is the stuff the spread on the roads.

Also you could give a caller a go? the biggest muntjac buck I have ever seen came into a few squeaks from a buttolo.

Pheasant feeder

:lol: There speaks the voice of experience, and apart from this I can only echo the post of Dunkield, and there again I can only speak for Roe.

We have found that Roe will empty a feeder in a couple of days and one Buck we had to pursue to bring about its demise, as it was filmed doing it was found to have no hair left on one side of its neck where it had been worn off against the wire it constantly pushed up to get to the feeder. A spring feeder when pushed to one side will allow grain to simply pour out until the feeder is empty. We now use what we call 'solids', with slits in them.

We also bought a salt lick but never had any success with it; the top of it in which the block sits is still fastened to the top of a log in the wood somewhere.

If you use a Buttolo at the right time of year they can be very effective. If you keep it in your pocket when you give it a squeeze it sounds as if it's a long way off. Gives you time to spot the incomer. :)