Strange conditions on new FAC

Wb123

My FAC just dropped onto the mat, I've been shooting air rifle on and off for about ten years with bits of rim fire here and there, and held a shotgun certificate for about 18 months before moving to northern ireland. I then transferred my shotgun certificate over and put in for a rimfire at the same time. There is no shotgun certificate in this part of the world, everything goes on a FAC. My FEO had no issues at all re experience and remarked that I really should have put in for larger calibres.

I have been given a certificate which simply says "use of

1. is restricted to sporting purposes and vermin control on lands for which the holder has lawful authority to shoot over. The holder must ensure the land is suitable for this type and calibre of firearm and the use of this firearm on the land presents no danger to public safety."

In practice this appears to be an open ticket to use ones judgement sensibly.

The same section is related exactly listing my air rifle and .22, but with the added approval of zeroing on such lands or on approved ranges if access to such ranges is lawful.

Again in practice this appears to be an 'open' ticket. I have also been authorised 1000 '.22' in the ammunition section. It is unclear if this is 1000 rimfire or a combination of 1000 .22lr and air .22 rifle pellets.

The final condition however has surprised me. It reads as follows: "Whilst the [all my firearms and air rifle] is in use the holder is required to be supervised for six months by a person who has attained the age of 21 years and held a firearm certificate for a firearm of that type for at least three years".

Having been shooting clays by myself at my local club and having also been asked to sort out some vermin with no other FAC holder available it looks like now I have to be supervised on the clays and to have someone follow me round, whilst the bunnies get a reprieve.

Is it fair to email them and ask for clarification given this looks like a paradox of open certificate but with close supervision, suggesting perhaps the supervision order is a default addition to new grants in this province? It is also somewhat puzzling as I was able to shoot unsupervised for the last four months on my mainland papers, but now need to find supervision.

Edited by Wb123

As it's an all different ballpark over there, the only sensible course of action is to get in touch with your FEO. From what you've said, it seems that you can't shoot clays as I read it. I do think though that the 1000 just refers to rimfire ammo which is the normal limit for the expanding version here. The wording that you have doubts about seems like it could apply to a youngster.

I live in N.Ireland and the 6 months is for new certs issued as said before they didn't take ur experience into it. I wouldn't worry about that and the mentoring thing is never looked at so your grand! I have an air rifle you can buy as much pellets as you want you don't need a cert to buy them just to own the firearm.. As for the 1000 rounds ur limited too I could go in today an buy 1000 for my shotguns in tomorrow an buy another 1000 for my Rimfie and head back the next day an buy another 1000 for the shotgun again no problem. Just head on an shoot away!

This is how much it means.. ..get yourself a gun for first time cert says mentor you leave in cabinet for 6mths thats your mentoring done....pointless....its standard here to begin with..ammo means nowt if your going to go thru 1000 in a day youve found ground the rest of us no nothing about so in reality you will never be short...you can shoot anywhere its your judgement if the land is suitable so yea its open.....basically get out and enjoy.. .

Edited by millrace