Can you shoot fox with shotgun?

Yes you can. Get it within 35m and give it the first barrel and the second one at any sign of life with 36g of 3's, 1's or BB's with a minimum 36g load.

FM :rolleyes:

As FerretMaster says, but give it both barrels whether or not it shows any signs of life.

what are the rules on doing this?is it humane?and i know this is probably a stupid question!

Some hard and fast rules for actually doing it...

The wind, windier nights are best, it masks any noise you make getting close to the fox, you should have it so that it's coming from the fox to you or going across left or right but never going from you to the fox. It also helps to blow away the smoke after the first shot, trust me this can be a real problem on a calm night if you need a second shot.

The moon, it's best done on darker nights. The less the fox gets to see the better. Also be very aware of your siluhette (spelling), basically don't walk across the brows of hill so a fox lower than you will see you against the night sky, also take into account the light from nearby towns or villages.

If you get a safe shot within 40 yards, never hesitate, shoot. If there's even a flicker of doubt, shoot again, but aim, don't just pull the trigger for the sake of it. If you go out with a shotgun and foxy decides to get the hell out of Dodge, sitting pretty at 100 yards is no good to you.

You can stalk foxes. Over time and if you go out on the same patch with an experienced person you'll find or be told about their runs. Remember them, foxes are creatures of habit and will use these runs all the time.

On using calls and callers. Best time is when they're hungry, just come out of the den and I want food! They'll come in to you like guided missiles, if you're making the right sound. BUT and this is IMPORTANT. They'll stop at a point, and decide to "wind" the call, basically they'll try to get downwind of you to smell what's making the noise. I use an electronic call, if I get a runner coming in I'll tend to drop it carefully and try to move 15-20 yards away from it. Say the wind is going right to left across you and the fox is heading right for you, then you'd go 15-20 yards to your left. I've had them come right in and I've not shot, because I know they're just going to think "Oh, ****! I need to "wind" this don't I?" and they move off again to come in broadside nicely. Broadside is always best profile to shoot them.

There are losts of tips and tricks to be honest.

36 gram BB cartridges are best I find. Like anything, if done right it's humane. If you wound a fox it'll not usually go far but it will try to hide, check well.

what are the rules on doing this?is it humane?and i know this is probably a stupid question!

The wind, windier nights are best, it masks any noise you make getting close to the fox, you should have it so that it's coming from the fox to you or going across left or right but never going from you to the fox. It also helps to blow away the smoke after the first shot, trust me this can be a real problem on a calm night if you need a second shot.

The moon, it's best done on darker nights. The less the fox gets to see the better. Also be very aware of your siluhette (spelling), basically don't walk across the brows of hill so a fox lower than you will see you against the night sky, also take into account the light from nearby towns or villages.

If you get a safe shot within 40 yards, never hesitate, shoot. If there's even a flicker of doubt, shoot again, but aim, don't just pull the trigger for the sake of it. If you go out with a shotgun and foxy decides to get the hell out of Dodge, sitting pretty at 100 yards is no good to you.

You can stalk foxes. Over time and if you go out on the same patch with an experienced person you'll find or be told about their runs. Remember them, foxes are creatures of habit and will use these runs all the time.

On using calls and callers. Best time is when they're hungry, just come out of the den and I want food! They'll come in to you like guided missiles, if you're making the right sound. BUT and this is IMPORTANT. They'll stop at a point, and decide to "wind" the call, basically they'll try to get downwind of you to smell what's making the noise. I use an electronic call, if I get a runner coming in I'll tend to drop it carefully and try to move 15-20 yards away from it. Say the wind is going right to left across you and the fox is heading right for you, then you'd go 15-20 yards to your left. I've had them come right in and I've not shot, because I know they're just going to think "Oh, ****! I need to "wind" this don't I?" and they move off again to come in broadside nicely. Broadside is always best profile to shoot them.

36 gram BB cartridges are best I find. Like anything, if done right it's humane. If you wound a fox it'll not usually go far but it will try to hide, check well.

Now that is field craft, read it and digest. Because John has just given you 5 plus years of learning in a few sentences.

Well done John. One of the best posts I have seen in a long time.

TC

i use a five shot semi

using spsg's or ssg's upto 40 yards mainly but have taken a few when a longer shot was nessecary

been known to unload all 5 on occassions as a dead fox is the best

unless you pick it you can't claim it as that is the one that comes back to bite you on the ***

Now that is field craft, read it and digest. Because John has just given you 5 plus years of learning in a few sentences.

TC

...And I've only been at it since '06 :yes: *pats self on back* my work here is done, I can go to bed now :lol:

I had an excellent teacher, he's been shooting foxes with a SBS for 15+ years :rolleyes: You don't do that and not learn a trick or three :lol:

TC

I have to agree with all that has been said here. Well done John. The only thing i would like to add is that this is where I use the horse hoof bait as opened and placed between you and the fox downwind, it will cover your scent and focus the fox on to the bait. Not many fox can resist the scent of boiled horse trimmings and frog trimming.

NTTF

Nice posts chaps, great to see a newcomer getting such good advice :hmm: . I cant add anything at all to JG's excellent comments, but will go so far as to state that I use 36g of number 1 (gamebore buffalo to be precise) through 1/2 choke out to about 25-30 yards (a matter of personal choice you understand) where charlie is concerned.

ZB

Good reply, informative and well written, well done John.

:good: D2D

i use a five shot semi

using spsg's or ssg's upto 40 yards mainly but have taken a few when a longer shot was nessecary

been known to unload all 5 on occassions as a dead fox is the best

unless you pick it you can't claim it as that is the one that comes back to bite you on the ***

I too sometimes use FAC sect1 shotties, my main concern and advice to anyone shooting Fox with a shottie is that If you shoot at it it MUST go down, never take long or risky shots using inappropriate loads, if a farmer later finds a Fox riddled with shot and gangrene you can kiss your permission goodbye at the very least.

:good: D2D

Firstly: That's all some EXCELLENT advice. This thread could easily be turned in to an invaluable fox-hunting sticky!

I'm well aware that using heavy shot is the RESPONSIBLE thing to do where foxes are concerned, but from hunting foxes for several years and knowing people who hunt foxes I know that it's not what happens. At least most of the time and at least around here.

I use 3s and 4s for foxes and it stops them dead. Usually after one shot, but as others have said; give them everything you've got to make sure! Everyone else I know, including a couple of gamekeepers, never use anything that heavy for foxes. Although obviously they tend to pack a .222-50 or similar when they're out *specifically* for a fox. However, last year there was at least one fox here killed with a .22LR and at least one killed with a welly! I kid you not.

I'd also disagree that you'd lose your shooting permission at a minimum if the land owner found a shot riddled fox... Obviously that isn't the outcome anyone wants, but when you're after a fox that's been running amok over hundreds of acres of game estate for the last few weeks then many people will justify any shot. Even if you can't still see the fox when you pull the trigger. That's another big no no that you wouldn't normally commit. Personally I'm still not comfortable with it... I know many who don't think twice (and who would still do it if they had) when it's a fox though.

If you have a fox PROBLEM. That is... you really need to get rid of them ASAP rather than getting rid of them at your leisure for sport. Then I'd recommend learning to set snares. I don't know anyone who hunts foxes that has more success shooting than snaring. Obviously it's not nice and it demands even more responsibility (and SKILL) than shooting. But it's what gamekeepers with serious problems do to keep in business. On the plus side, from my experience, you often find the fox still alive and unharmed by the snare and all it takes is a painless shot to the noggin.

If you are going to use snares though, remember: NO DRAGS. And check those things at least once a day! Although saying that... I've know a few keepers who don't even follow those rules.

PS: Regarding losing permission by wounding a fox. I actually know a keeper who banned a paying gun from shooting on the estate because he refused to take a 'risky shot' at a fox.

Edited by harpo_the_bad

Two points; One, make sure that the farmer whose land that you are on wants foxes shot, there are quite a few who believe that foxes control rabbit numbers, I know that it's **** and so do you, but we don't own the land.

Two, I would say that more foxes, shot with shotguns, are shot with 6's than any other size of shot, most foxes are shot during game shoots, and what do you have in the chambers for game? You got it! :good:

Maiden22; You kick it in a ditch and avoid the area for a week, a rotting fox is the worst smell that you can imagine.

Two points; One, make sure that the farmer whose land that you are on wants foxes shot, there are quite a few who believe that foxes control rabbit numbers, I know that it's **** and so do you, but we don't own the land.

There's maybe a grain of truth in that... a fair number of the rabbits we shoot (out of necessity) go in the snares we set for foxes!

Two, I would say that more foxes, shot with shotguns, are shot with 6's than any other size of shot, most foxes are shot during game shoots, and what do you have in the chambers for game? You got it! :lol:

I would agree with that! Although most foxes here are probably shot by us crew of half a dozen enthusiasts who go out after them every day. I load a 'fox cartridge' (a 3 or 4) in the first barrel and if I find a stationary rabbit, etc I switch over to barrel 2 which has a 6.

Maiden22; You kick it in a ditch and avoid the area for a week, a rotting fox is the worst smell that you can imagine.

:good: Too true! Although rotting muntjac comes really close... and they have an outstanding knack for getting in our fox snares :good: lucky thing the Gamekeeper wants the muntjac gone too! We learned quickly that it's a good idea to drag such things in to an area that you don't need to walk through daily.

" Too true! Although rotting muntjac comes really close... and they have an outstanding knack for getting in our fox snares lucky thing the Gamekeeper wants the muntjac gone too! We learned quickly that it's a good idea to drag such things in to an area that you don't need to walk through daily."

Can you imagine stepping in one after it's been laying there for a week? yeeeugh!!

Re original question; course you can. Certainly tested my skill but am proud to have nailed him with 36g of BB. Very clean kill. Hope to repeat it soon. Have let go fox which was not a safe or humane shot ie near railway station or too long a shot.