Barnardo's

David BASC

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To show men driving around with shotguns/rifles and then shooting at kids is, in my opinion, a very stupid thing to show. With the amount of drive - by shootings and crime on the streets increasing every year, to show this 'advert' is ridiculous.

Barnardo's should be slated over this so called 'advert' and it should be taken off air asap. I have emailed Barnardo's to air my views in no uncertain terms! :welcomeani:

I think that barnados is getting confused with what goes on in countries like Brazil, where this actually happens.

just because one plonker commented on it on a news website, doesn't mean its going on.

extremely stupid video/campaign.

Praying that a barnados person comes to the front door now, wouldn't mind discussing it with them!

BASC CALLS ON BARNADOS TO WITHDRAW CAMPAIGN FILM

BASC and all those who are active in legal shooting sports will be shocked and deeply concerned by the irresponsible portrayal of people involved in shooting in Barnardo’s latest awareness campaign. Shock advertisements such as this demean the cause of child protection.

Barnardos claims there is an unjustified and disturbing intolerance to children in modern society, and that they are demonised; yet the organisation thinks it acceptable to demonise people who lawfully shoot.

The film clearly shows sporting guns being used by the adults wearing country clothing. The style is graphic and realistic, and it makes no attempt to show the weapons are illegal. In fact it depicts extreme, Illegal and shocking behaviour which risks encouraging precisely the behaviour that Barnardo’s seeks to campaign against.

BASC Director of Communications, Christopher Graffius says:

“This film and the way it portrays people who are clearly involved in lawful sporting shooting, is totally unacceptable. BASC will be making an official complaint to Barnados and if the film is not withdrawn we will be taking this to the Charities Commission. We are also urging our members, and others who support our position to also make their feelings known to Barnados.â€

I can understand what you are all saying but i dont think this is anything against anyone who owns a gun,

The Charity said that this was comments from the public what they think should be done to younge people..

Now obviously all us SG cert holders are not going to be looked at as Young people hunters and im sure that the comments were made around thugs who are beating and killing people in this country, and not the young in general, so all not very clear but i got the picture what they were trying to get across ok.

Cheers

Ian

I don't know what the fuss is about. I have a variation for "street urchins" with .243 and sound moderator and regularly be seen with friends coursing hoodies early Sunday mornings on Southend Sea Front.

Seriously though, it is wide of the mark but it wouldn't stop me from giving Bernados my pound note. The damage has probably already been done anways.

I think the thing that is of most concern, is that the opening scene round the table is clearly intended to liken this situation to a conversation that sportsmen would have when justifying shooting rabbits, crows, pigeons, rats etc. It's not just portraying a film of blokes with guns, they've deliberately made it sound like a sportsmens discussion about vermin control.

I don't consider that that was necessary and they could have made just as much of a hard-hitting video, and a more believable one, if they'd shown a gang of blokes with baseball bats and clubs hunting the kids. Then they wouldn't have painted legitimate sportsmen in a bad light. :welcomeani:

Just spoke to the nice lady from Barnardos and she says they didn`t want to portray us in a bad light and they havn`t seen any bad comments on the BBC website, where she said it is on.............so guys, get to the website and find it and put the link here so we can all comment !!!!!!!!!