Changes to General Licences...Woodpigeons etc

HW682

Following on from the parakeet thread, I thought this desrved a thread of it's own.

If I am reading the draft copy of the new licences correctly, note m) bans the selling of woodies etc for human consumption.

It won't have much effect on me - but I know some people on here sell hundreds at a time.

Therefore this could be a major change for some people. It seems to have crept in under the radar so far.

general licence

Edited by HW682

1. Why haven't cormorants been added onto this list?

2. Why are black-backed & herring gulls now only allowed to be controlled for reasons of air safety?

3. Why can't you shoot inland canada geese with lead shot now that they're a pest?

4. Who's the idiot who did not exclude woodpigeons from not being sold for human consumption?

5. Why aren't these licenses written with us in mind, dammit?

If I have just read that right as well all you guys who have a FAC shotgun will lose your valid reason to own one.

Although I would expect BASC to be on the case what about all the others? I am sure that SACS have already resolved the issues. Or maybe they are still asleep.

Morning all,

These are still in draft format, and of course BASC are speaking practically every day with the people in NE who look after all of this.

Others seem to be getting vexed about the two gulls that have been taken off for this year- but frankly there is little point in campaigning this year to get them back on – they will not be, so best to concentrate on other issues.

The bit about not selling pigeons was a bit of a cock up – someone seems to have got a bit mixed up with the legislation about not selling shot wild geese that’s all. We spoke with NE on this yesterday morning and they assured us this would be taken off, so for those that sell the odd pigeon or two you can relax.

Any more questions? Just let me know

David

Morning all,

These are still in draft format, and of course BASC are speaking practically every day with the people in NE who look after all of this.

Others seem to be getting vexed about the two gulls that have been taken off for this year- but frankly there is little point in campaigning this year to get them back on – they will not be, so best to concentrate on other issues.

The bit about not selling pigeons was a bit of a cock up – someone seems to have got a bit mixed up with the legislation about not selling shot wild geese that’s all. We spoke with NE on this yesterday morning and they assured us this would be taken off, so for those that sell the odd pigeon or two you can relax.

Any more questions? Just let me know

David

Very reassuring David, thanks for the update :hmm:

Dear all,

Just to confirm what I have posted, here is a statement from NE, just released:

NE is aware of the issue and will be working with Defra and BASC to resolve it. It will be resolved in advance of the licences coming into force on the 1st January 2010. It has never been the intention of NE to restrict the control or consumption of woodpigeons. There are a number of short term and long term options available to deal with this issue but the shooting community should be reassured that in 2010 it will be possible to sell woodpigeons for human consumption provided they were shot under the terms and conditions of the general licence.

You know where I am if you need me.

David

The issue with the two gulls that have been removed is not vexxing me in so much that it directly affects the way in which I can operate under a work environment. I am invoved in bird control on landfill sites and the main species of gull which populate these areas are Herring gulls. I do not understand the exclusion of herring gull as opposed to the lesser black back. I do see the need to exclude Greater as populations of these have decreased.

In the past NE have monitored bird populations on a local, regional and national level. As you can expect, there can be significant variances on a local level due to transient or more permanent changes in habitat for example, to a lesser extent this may be seen on a regional level, but if the population is simply shifting from area / region A to area / region B it may be of low consequence. However, changes on a national level for example are more significant.

As far as I know there are conceders on a national level with the two species removed for shooting. This may seem odd to someone who on a local level sees thousands of these birds a day of course!

There is more into on the NE site about the consultation and NE’s response / reasoning

David

Hello David,

Can you clarify Explanatory note D - Semi-automatic weapon. The first time i read it i thought they were saying shotguns with more than 2 carts in the mag were Section 5?! Then i read it to be saying you can't use Section 1 shotguns for pest control and now i'm reading it that you can use S1 guns as long as they're not full auto?! HELP!

Mark

Clumsy wording I agree - you can use a semi auto - three shot (i.e. sec 2)

Can’t use semi with a mag of three or more or a full auto

David

I remember speaking to you and your colleague about the General Licence farce last year when the licence only gave authority for a semi with 3+ magazine capacity with no authority to use non FAC autos or SS & OUs for that matter. Seems to only give authority to use non FAC semi auto this time. A direct contradiction from last year. I cannot understand it. Obviously, authority is needed to shoot pest species with traditional shotguns, semis of all descriptions, pumps and airguns, so why don't they just include these "weapons" in the notes and be done with it. Some Civil Servant (or probably ten Civil Servants) actually get paid for this! It's not really good enough in my opinion.