Snared rabbits

Doc Holliday

Hopefully I've put this in the right section. I wanted to know if anyone here has any experience with snaring rabbits? Reason for asking is that this is something I've thought about getting into but wanted to know from anyone one with the relevant experience as to the right way of going about it. I know the snares are best set on the runs and not on the burrow entrances.

I'd also like to know if the meat is still any good for eating if a rabbit has been in the snare for an hour or 2 (or more maybe) seeing as I've always followed the guts out asap rule, usually within the half hour or 1 hour tops.

Any advice would be most gratefully received.

Regards,

Doc.

I've used them for a while and found they work well, they should obviously be checked daily and I've never found one where the meat has spoiled etc. I don't use them any more as I prefer shooting but I've got 7 or 8 snares, tealers and pegs in the garage if you’re interested in buying them? Comes complete with instructional DVD and you can get a rubber mallet from the pound shop if you don't have one already.

Doc you should be able to "tension" the snare so if it gets knocked it should re-set it's self and yes set the snare in the runs about 6 an half inches high from the bottom of the loop , the loop it's self should be a egg shape 7.5 inch by 5.5 inch , my last snared rabbit was eaten by a fox so you will have to be quick to capture a live one :lol:

egg shaped 7.5 wide / 5.5 high :)

Edited by unclemicky

I can recommend buying snares made by the netloft,I always use them,and have found them to be very well made and cheap. :lol::) you can email him ....molecatcher@talktalk.net

made by countrymen for countrymen

You can always tell when something is well made, the maker uses them too.

If you need any advice look on youtube for videos made by huntinglife,he shows you how to set them and also the catches he has good review and results all on video.

If you need any more help and advice we are always here to help

Edited by jonevo

As above, I go out with Ian now and then and he knows his stuff. The videos by him and phil are pretty good. Mole catchers a sound bloke too.

But I think the best way to learn is by going out with someone who can show you first hand :good:

Just be responsible and check them regulary.

Also consider getting in touch with woodga ( THL ) as his dvds are really well made and easy for new-comers to understand.

Id personally go down the route of making a few as once youve got the materials you never run out.

I've used them for a while and found they work well, they should obviously be checked daily and I've never found one where the meat has spoiled etc. I don't use them any more as I prefer shooting but I've got 7 or 8 snares, tealers and pegs in the garage if you’re interested in buying them? Comes complete with instructional DVD and you can get a rubber mallet from the pound shop if you don't have one already.

Or, as you dont need/use them and they are only sat in your garage, you could post em to Doc FOC, making you feel all warm inside. :good: Be a gent, and it'll come back ten-fold.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Helpful as always :hmm:

And MM, I like the idea you subscribe to Karma (if that's the word meaning what goes around comes around). The world would be a much better place if more people did, in my humble opinion.

Its the way forward Doc. I did buy some snares, but never used em. Ill have a root this week, see if i can find them.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all the advice guys. Helpful as always :good:

And MM, I like the idea you subscribe to Karma (if that's the word meaning what goes around comes around). The world would be a much better place if more people did, in my humble opinion.

a bit late from your first posting, but if you can get yourself over to essex(5 min from the bridge) Ive got some complete with single tealers and pegs in the shed, which you can have free of charge, these snares were made by woodga from the hunting life, I bought 100, and am never going to use them all

a bit late from your first posting, but if you can get yourself over to essex(5 min from the bridge) Ive got some complete with single tealers and pegs in the shed, which you can have free of charge, these snares were made by woodga from the hunting life, I bought 100, and am never going to use them all

KARMA BABY!!! YEAH!! :good::):birthday: