Advice on shotgun cleaning

smiiithy

Hi all,

I'm looking to spend up to £350 on my first O/U 12G when my SGC comes through (expected maybe December) and thinking of getting a budget .410 shortly after for up to £100. I was thinking a cleaning kit would be a good present for a family member to get me for x-mass, which I intend to buy myself and then hand it over to them so I can ensure I get something suitable. I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on this 'universal' cleaning kit which caught my eye. Also I've had a lot of experience in cleaning 5.56mm assualt rifles and a bit on a 7.62mm target rifle, but have never cleaned a shotgun. Is it the same general practice? Does anybody have any links to any recommended video tutorials etc?

Thanks,

Mike

BRAND NEW DELUXE SHOTGUN , RIFLE & PISTOL CLEANING KIT IN A PRESENTATION ALUMINIUM CASE WITH REINFORCED CORNERS AND CARRY HANDLE

£17.99+£4.99P&P

Will fit most shotguns, rifles or pistols including, 12 gauge, 20 gauge, 410 gauge, .45cal, .40cal, .357/38cal/9mm, .30cal, 270cal, .22cal and .17cal.

CONTENTS INCLUDE:

3 Solid Metal Rods for Shotguns

3 Solid Metal Rods for Rifles/Pistols

1 Universal Handle with adaptor

10 brass wire brushes

5 Mops for 12 gauge, 20 gauge, 410 gauge, .357/38cal/9mm and .22cal

2 solid brass adaptors for shotgun mops/brushes

2 plastic slotted tips

50 3" x 3" cloth swabs

Smiiithy, I have one of the kits you note, they're Ok but I also invested in something called a Tico tool (search it on Fleabay). Great bit of kit and makes them bores shine like they're new!

Without wanting to sound like I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, I basically clean the shottie as follows:

Use the rod with the brush to clear out any unburnt powder/**** first.

spray down the bores with Legia spray and allow to soak for 5 mins.

fold a sheet of kitchen roll into a round wadge and push one down each barrel with aforementioned rod minus the brush attachment

insert tico tool and do the five finger shuffle like billio

insert 'cloth swab' impregnated with a little gun oil using rod and associated plastic slotted tip (NOTE: Do NOT use a lot of oil!!!!!)

peer down bore to see shiny clean and oiled bores

voila!

Edited by Sinistercr0c

They clean about as good as ******* down it :lol:

Would have to disagree. Have used the universsal cleaner, rods kitchen rolletc spray with bore cleaner gun oil etc. Loads of faffing about. Bore snake quick squirt of cleaner on it bobs ur uncle and fannys ur aunt all done in a few mintes.

Obviously this is just for cleaning inside the barrels you still need to look after the rest of the gun.

I have never used a bore snake because I do not like the idea of using something which is already soiled with the residue from umpteen previous cleans . I also have serious reservations about a bore snakes ability to remove plastic . Nothing beats the good old phosphor bronze brush and a bit of elbow.

I have never used a bore snake because I do not like the idea of using something which is already soiled with the residue from umpteen previous cleans . I also have serious reservations about a bore snakes ability to remove plastic . Nothing beats the good old phosphor bronze brush and a bit of elbow.

Manton when you say remove plastic, do you mean those plastic looking streaks at the beginning of the forcing tube , are those marks not streaks of lead residue :blink:

Stick the boresnake in a little cloth bag and stick it in the washing machine and you wont be using soiled anything.

As you havent used one you dont know what your missing.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes you get lead streaks but they come out easily enough with a phosphor bronze brush. To be honest all I do with my shotgun is give each barrel a spray with WD40 and a couple of patches to wipe out any residue. repeat a second time if they need it and then wipe over the exterior with the last clean patch.

A quick once over with and old toothbrush round the extractors and put it away.

I've been doing that for years. With chrome plated bores thats all you need if its used regularly.

All these "witches brews" they sell in the gunshops are there to take your money. If I was going to put the gun away for any length of time I clean it and oil it properly of course. I use the same procedure for my .22 rifle but give it a good scrub every few times it goes out to remove any leading and the build up round the breech gets a going over with an old make up brush.

Spent under £35 and my cleaning set-up now includes:

From forum members...

1x Browing 12B Barrel Weasel Boresnake

Bisley Shotgun Cleaning Kit, including:

1 x Plastic Case

1 x 3piece Rosewood Cleaning Rod

1 x Phosphor Bronze Cleaning Brush

1 x Wool Mop

1 x Plastic Jag

1 x Bore Cleaner

1 x Gun Oil

2 x Shotgun Patches (25)