Reducing pain from recoil

swedish chef

Hi guys, new to the site, this is only my second post but thought i'd start as i mean to go on... with a question! New to shotguns, been shooting years but got myself a lovely new Browning medalist last week. went pigeon decoying last week for the first time and got myself a couple of birds, first ones with a shotgun as well! I fired about 30 cartridges, mainly 28gr kent velocity, mainly at onions and potatoes :good: but went away with a rather sore shoulder and a bruise on my arm, probably from holding the gun wrongly as I was shooting from a sitting position in a trench in the field, but even in the crux of my shoulder it was tender. Thinking of getting a recoil pad of some sort as my gun has no pad at all, just hard plastic. looking at PAST recoil shoulder pads, kick eez pads or Absorb all pads, leaning towards the past as then I can use it with any gun and I wont have to modify my existing stock. Does anyone have any experience with any of the above, particularly the PAST? Any advice is appreciated!

Atb, Swedish Chef :good:

Edited by swedish chef

If the gun does not fit it will kick you about more and 28G should not be to heavy on recoil. If the gun does fit and you add a recoil pad you will need to shorten the stock first or the gun will be to long.

It seems to fit well, the guy I know down my local gun shop fitted it with me and says it looks good in terms of fitment, fit was the first thing i was concerned with as I'm only 5"7, but the butt does feel quite sharp on my collarbone, which is why i reckon i need a pad of some sort? any ideas?

You should't have a sore or bruised arm, the gun should sit inside your shoulder muscle in your shoulder pocket - i.e. the recoil is taken on your chest - so your probably not mounting the gun just quite right.

I have a Trapdude Gooey recoil pad fitted to my Beretta and it does make a huge difference, but it was quite expensive and is a permanent fixture.

Try a few different cartridges/loads and adjust your gun mount slightly first and see how you get on.

When I first started I had a brand new Medalist and went straight out pigeon shooting, my arm was purple and yellow from bruising so much so that I could fire the second barrel.

Then I went to my local clay ground(Orston)and was pulled into shape by my now good friend Roly and have never had problem since.

I doubt it's the gun or the butt pad, get a lesson, it'll be well worth it. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

went out pigeon shooting today and fired a few cartridges with it wearing a thick jacket, didn't feel a thing, even from sitting! I'm certain the bruising on my arm was from bad stance when i was shooting from sitting, but the sore shoulder was remedied with padding straight away! I'm going to get myself a recoil pad of some sort for definate, apparently the stock is a little on the short side so the pad should remedy that issue as well! Now all i need to do is to figure out whether to get a PAST pad or a stock fitted pad, I'm going to also be buying some pigeon rounds too, any ideas on what a softer 30-32gr round is? looking at eley HB or clear pigeon as i cant afford the expensive stuff! :rolleyes:

When some-one sets up a gun on a novice, they will move the pupils feet around, place the gun correctly in the shoulder, help the shooter get their eye in the right place etc etc.

Gun fits now, thank you very much Sir ££££

Novice now goes out shooting, places the gun lower in the shoulder ( so had to drop the head and gets a bruised cheek), has their elbow low so the gun rolls out onto the shoulder bone and hurts, the pupil leans back a little digging in the butt toe not using the whole face of the butt pad to transfer recoil. They then compound the problem by buying FAST cartridges ( but on a budget so they are CHEAP fast carts). These have very explosive powder burns that create very fast pressure, wack back into the shoulder and scatter the shot pattern to bits. In a very short time there is a shooter that is badly bashed about.

So, the gun may fit, but mount and stance are incorrect so the gun fit is wasted, and the cartridges are compounding the problem.

Go get good lessons on stance, mount and technique.

Use quality cartridges with LESS lead and a smooth powder ( Express HVE 24g / Hull 21g etc)

More faster lead is never the answer, if you have good stance / mount / technique and gun control 21g / 24g will hit everything presented.

To me a static gun fit is only half the solution, if the shooter does not yet know how to use a fitted gun, that process is wasted. When-ever possible all my gun fits are dynamic, ie in association with a comprehensive lesson in how to use your now fitted gun.

Edited by clayman

Hi you could try fitting a recoil pad to your gun kick-eez are good and try using lighter cartridges i use lylevale express HV 21gm 7.5s any 21gm cartridge should give you a hell of alot less recoil just try a few out to see what suits you best a few good ones are hull cartridge comp x 21gm 7.5s or eley first lights 21gm any of these will significantly reduce reoil i don't notice any shooting difference between 21gm and 28gm cartridges apart from recoil. if you were desperate to stick to 28gm cartridges you could try hull cartridge chevron 28gm they a subsonic so have less reoil hope thats some help. i would try different carts before spending money fitting a recoil pad or a combination of reoil pad and 21gm carts i think would definitaly do it.