Zeroing Scopes - Having a nightmate!

robmiller

Hi

This is how I zero mine.

I put it on the kitchen bench looking out of the winow with the bolt removed

Looking down inside the barrel I sight it up about 30 yards away with a mark on the wall.

Make sure you dont move the gun then adjust the cross hairs on your scope to align the mark on the wall.

This should put your shots on the board then you just have to fine tune it.

I have a Simmons bore sighter that I have never used that you are welcome to borrrow .

Hope this helps

Having an absolute mare zeroing new scopes on the HMR.

Have been shooting a large area and scope hasnt even got it on the board. Tried a few things and really struggling.

Is there anyone up here that could possible give me a hand? Am off on thursday?

Cheers

Rob

What range are you trying to zero at ?

If it is close i would guess the scope is not aligned suggesting mounts.

What I did with mine was: There is an old delapedated barn on my shoot. Two walls have fell down

the tin roof is rusty and touching the floor on one corner. I guess it is 30' x 15'. The roof is well rusty too. So I sighted on the centre, an old bolt or something. Easy see what was going on then. A foot to the left and low. Turned the turrets lots and lots to sort it. Find something big to aim at.

Hi Rob,

What I do with a new scope is, turn your cross hair adjusters in one direction until you come to the stop, then turn them back the other way counting the clicks until you come to the stop again, then turn them back agian until you reach half way counting the clicks, IE if the clicks from end to end is 300 then turn it back 150 clicks, and you should be in the middle, thus your cross hairs should be parallel with the barrel.

You shouldn't be far off now, just minor adjustment.

Bob.

as asked, what range are you trying to zero at? Never try to get a new scope on a new gun onto paper at 100 yards to start. I start mine at 20-25 yards to get them on paper. I don't shoot for groups at that range, just one shot, move the crosshairs. Once it is zero'd there (takes 3-5 shots to be close) I'll give it 3 shots at the same setting to be sure then back off. Depending on the gun, I'll either back out to 50 or 100 and shoot 3. That is enough to get you confidently close to where you want to be. Could I do it with fewer rounds? Yeah, but what's the fun in that?

Are you turning the ***** the correct way? And, is the scope mounted with the elevation turrets on the top and the windage turrets on the right side (as opposed to the elevation on the left side and windage on the top)? I've seen both things drive a person nuts until they realized what they were doing.

Thanks,

Rick

As all above, the most commen thing to drive you nuts is a loose moderator.

I start my zero at about 5 feet to make sure it is not really out then work out to the range you want it zero at.

I have had one SandB scope that really drove me crazy, took it back and it was replaced due to fault on the scope

Doc

yup its a nightmare to start if you're off the paper get closer or as said prop the gun and take the bolt out and look through the barrel get it on the paper and then adjust the scope onto the paper, then you can start shooting

Edited by al4x

hi as the guys said make sure the up is up and down is down. the easeist way is to bore sight the gun, that means placing a target on a board at say 30 meters. take out the bolt, look through the the bore (keeping the rifle dead still) till you see the target in the bore. (still not moving the rifle) then zero sights in to that target. if your rifle has not moved then you must be on the board. I have a C Z rifle with a scope, but the scope on that is off center. if you put a line down from the scope centre to the barrel it does not come to the barrel centre. i know that so i can get a 3 bullet group on a five peny at 75 meters . it drives my club mates mad lol.

be lucky John

If you're having problems, just zero it at 20 yards. It's nearly impossible to muck that up and if it doesn't hold zero at 20 yards, either the sound mod doesn't agree with the bullet or you've not set the mounts properly.

Edited by harfordwmj