breasting pigeons

hawkeye

Ok am just new to pigeon shooting and am getting a few, the problem is it takes me ages to cut the breast out, takes so long i tend to give my birds away what is the best way to breast them and how long does it take per bird.

All advice will be appreciated. :*) :*) :< :<

Edited by hawkeye

im in pretty much your shoes, ive never had a large enough number of woodies coming in to really care, but the way i do it is....

remove the feathers on the breast area, running from neck to base of legs, put finger on breast and find the bone, slice down one side of it, using the knife to feel for the rib cage and other gubbins, continue cutting untill your about 2inches down, making sure you dont cut into the ribcage, now you have got a cut, get your fingers under the skin, tear it off the breast and move your hand around in a kind of circular way so as to seperate the meat from the skin, then cut down the other side of the bone, once this is done pull back the skin (that you loosened earlier) and cut underneath the breast piece up untill you feel the ribcage (assuming its not been hit too hard) the breast should now be free apart from one tendon, which i remove about 1cm from where it becomes obvious.

then repeat the other side

this may well be the completely wrong technique, but ive just kinda worked it out as i go along.

i too would appreciate some pointers

Edited by dunganick

As per discussed in other topics, I use the "crab" method.

Kinda hard to decribe but its ih a John "somebodyorothers" (think batlley ) book

Pull off the wings with a twisting motion.

Take the pigeon laid on its back in your right hand, pluck a lump of feathers from aroud the bottom of the crop area, now rip the skin around the crop and pull out of the way.

Now into the hole where the neck is stick your 2 thumbs, and then pull your hands apart. this will split the pigeon into the breast bone and meat in one hand and the rest of the carcase in the other.

Now freeze in bags of 2 or 4. You now can use them in a caserole as such. We tend to add to pheasant caserole. Eat the pheasnt one day and the pigeon the next.

Or as mentioned above just carve of the breast meat with a fish filleting knife and fry in flour.

trev

• 3 weeks later...