First time out with my own gun

smiiithy

This morning I was lucky enough to have a friend go with me and collect my first shotgun from the RFD. We went down the local clay ground and I bought us 50 sporting clays. I had a great morning trying out the Classic Doubles and got on with it well, I think it will suit me very much with a bit more practice. I also enjoyed trying his Beretta Silver Pigeon V. I have a bruise on my right arm where I think I have miss-mounted my gun once or twice <_<

Following that I had a nice relaxed afternoon by myself (a rare luxury) and went for a few pints of ale and a bite to eat before going to get my hair cut ready for a night on the town. Popped in to see a local farmer who tells me he's put rape seed down and will be needing some assistance on the woodies around the turn of the year :mad:

<_< Yes please, I`ll have a few days like that. :mad:

The Classic doubles is a very good gun. They were not around for long, took over from Winchester. (Japan)

I love anything Winchester, I have a Winchester 6500 mk2, it`s as good as any gun on the market today but handles even better. :mad:

:P Not keen on the newest ones though, they feel like a piece of 4x2 and a couple of old water pipes stuck on it. :hmm:

Mine is a Japanese made one (stamped on barrel) and seems to be a very nice solid build, worth every penny and very glad I haven't spent the money on anything more modern as they just don't compare. Yes I was down at Steve Smiths this morning between 10 and 11. I was in the black Clio and wearing a green Barbour style jacket and green tweed cap and my friend was wearing a Beretta cap. It was quite busy down there so not sure if I passed you :devil:

I think I'll have to have a few more days like this :blink:

Edited by smiiithy

Yes that's the one in the pics, very nice wood, the oil finish appeals to me a lot more than a lot of the much more expensive shotguns I've seen in the gun shops.

Lee you can have it back for £200 on top of what I paid for it? :devil:

I didn't start well - rushing every shot, trying to hit every clay the second it came out the trap. But when I settled down and got a bit more patient I started hitting them. Having shot rifles from the age of 13 in the cadets and TA the temptation to aim at the clay and not ahead and to close one eye is all too great, shotguns are something that are going to take a little getting used to. We were on the stand with 6 or 7 sporting traps and some of them were quite challenging but I'm perfectly satisfied with the gun. I'm sure with a bit more practice and a little bit of coaching from some of our kind and more experienced forum members I'll be shooting well :blink:

Edited by smiiithy