How many Magpies are shot by PW Members?

George1990

Magpies are my nemesis. Hate them. Used to have Linnets and Spotted Flycatchers and all sort in the garden. Now just magpies.

After years of never being able to get them - even with matchboxes and a decoy - I managed to get two last week. Don't know about you, but I hate 'em!

One with the air rifle (VERY pleased with) and one with the HMR. Normally, I put my hand up to the window to open it and they're gone, no matter how careful. This time he was far too busy rummaging in the horse pooh :good: :good:

I'll start it with 2

they were a big problem on the golf course were i worked,if you tried walking with a gun you could not get within a hundred yards of them.could get a couple in the evening when they came in to roost but the best way was early mornings when cutting the greens.they have no fear of a man on a machine.could get within twenty yards or so no problem,had the shotgun on my knee and could get half a dozen no problem.we had a lot of old hawthorn hedges that were farm bounderies many years ago and these used to support a lot of bird life but the maggies wiped most of them out taking eggs and chicks.

12 - but now they are getting very smart - I only have to look out my back door and they disapear and they stay just out of range of my air-rifle.

I am buying myself a 20g Hushpower for Christmas, so i'm going to camp in the hedgerow and have dedicated war against them. Since I started my own campaign the songbirds in the hedgerows near my house have increased in numbers big time so i'm well pleased.

My next attack is against the many crows around the farm which backs on to my garden, but I can bring out the heavy guns for those as they are further away from the houses.

If you count using the larsen earlier this year I have disposed of 48 and my neighbour another 32. Out of this we have shot less than 20 so you can see which is more effective considering the larsen were only operational for around 2 months earlier this year.

Quite agree!

Why waste time trying to shoot them when Larsen traps are so efficient time-wise.

The best I have ever done with traps was 300 magpies and 90 crows in 2 months.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...