20g Subsonic

I'm afraid gamebore don't do 20g cartridges in white gold, they do 20g low noise but not in 6's your going to be very hard pushed to find that size (6) in a subsonic and 20g as well you could try hull cartridge they have loads subsonics (chevrons) etc in 20g but in 7.5s thats what most subsonics are in mostly for newcomers to clay shooting. just wondered why you want subsonics especially for pigeon shooting there want be much recoil in 20g anyway. try looking at www.justcartridges.com

Edited by mike.ginty

I have some shooting that is near an old folks home (the field goes up to the garden wall). This year it's going to be peas. So rather than bang away all day and create noise I've been thinking about subsonics - there has been some good articles on them in the "Sporting Gun". I don't think a 410 would suit and a 12 is quieter - but not quiet enough - hence a 20 (but with no cartridge choice!)

7's are okay if thet are coming into the pattern nicely, but a 28g load is a bit to light

I have some shooting that is near an old folks home (the field goes up to the garden wall). This year it's going to be peas. So rather than bang away all day and create noise I've been thinking about subsonics - there has been some good articles on them in the "Sporting Gun". I don't think a 410 would suit and a 12 is quieter - but not quiet enough - hence a 20 (but with no cartridge choice!)

7's are okay if thet are coming into the pattern nicely, but a 28g load is a bit to light

Why not buy the 30g 5s already mentioned or load your own like I do :lol:

will fireing 30 gram loads through the 20 bore not make it just as loud as the 12??

Edited by henry c

will fireing 30 gram loads through the 20 bore not make it just as loud as the 12??

No, providing they are subsonic shells they will be inaudible at less than 100meters.

Load size doesn't matter, its speed that does :no:

Not 100% on this but I remember reading that the difference in killing power between ordinary shells and subs

is only a matter of a few ft/lbs at 30yds and as far as I can tell the pattern from subs are pretty good too :(

There really is no need to knock yourself out trying to get 6#, just get 5#, they'll be fine :D

GH

I was just commenting on the fact that Big simmo was picking the 20 bore for being quieter.

Talking from experience of using these guns and a variety of subsonic ammo, they are really not inaudiable at this distance unless shooting from really thick cover, I think the statistics for silenced shotguns are slightly missleading. They are about half as quiet as the un silenced gun, and believe me I have done a great deal of testing with them.

The air pressure can also affect the noise, some days they are quieter than others.

Edited by henry c

I was just commenting on the fact that sitsinhedges was picking the 20 bore for being quieter.

Talking from experience of using these guns and a variety of subsonic ammo, they are really not inaudiable at this distance unless shooting from really thick cover, I think the statistics for silenced shotguns are slightly missleading. They are about half as quiet as the un silenced gun, and believe me I have done a great deal of testing with them.

The air pressure can also affect the noise, some days they are quieter than others.

was I :no:

My only criteria is that the .410 isn't man enough for realistic general shooting whereas a 20g with its 24 and 28g loads is, and 20s tend to be a bit lighter than 12s which helps when a moderator is added to the weight

Its much easier to carry a number of the far smaller 20g cartridges too :(

• 2 years later...
Guest cookoff013

i`d just like to throw in my tuppence of advice,

reload.

stick to 5s minimum in the 20gauge and 5s minimum in the 12gauge. as you are 20% down in power, (the speed) it certainly makes sense to increase the shotsize with subsonics. dont be overly concerned about the lack of pellets,

if you pattern them, you can get full patterns out of most chokes.

so increase your shotsize, it`ll have as much range as a #6 at 1400fps. so make it almost on par with your normal pigeon carts.

dont have a heart attack because there is a 5 in the shell either, if it makes you feel anybetter, write a 6 on the side of the shell.

• 2 years later...

I use eley hi flyer 28grams of 5shot. They travel at 1085ftps. Brilliant cartridge, had some really great days and some silly long kills with them! I got a mossberg 500 pump action 20 bore hushpower. Try them, quiet and a good killing cartridge.

Guest cookoff013

the biggest prolem with reloading and hushpowers is simple.

i load up a shell, bangs off at proof, thats a 28" unmolested barrel.

the same shells that are made and fired in a hushpower barrel bleeds off the Pressure / gasses. and does not reach the speeds. not entirely uncommon.

so in this instance adding more powder just produces more breech pressure but thats dependent on powder usage..etc.

• 4 weeks later...

the biggest prolem with reloading and hushpowers is simple.

i load up a shell, bangs off at proof, thats a 28" unmolested barrel.

the same shells that are made and fired in a hushpower barrel bleeds off the Pressure / gasses. and does not reach the speeds. not entirely uncommon.

so in this instance adding more powder just produces more breech pressure but thats dependent on powder usage..etc.

Hi Cookoff. Have you got any recipies for subsonic 20g? Preferably with 28 or 30 grams of shot, and preferably with Vectan powders and plastic wads which I have available.

Regarding the above: Have you seen any chonograph figures comparing Hushpower gun with non moderated barrels?

Cheers, ABD

Edited by aussie black duck

Guest cookoff013

Andy is the person for this. I do 12s

Its easy, get a recipe that's high in pressure but low in speed. Then knock off x amount of powder to just knock the fps off, I did that with both The loads I did. Those are the easyest and cleanest sub's.

I haven't compared fps from husshy an normal. But my hushpower loads are subsonic in a normally barrel. The problem with that is when people load to a chrono result, where as subsonics can go pear shaped quickly.

Guest cookoff013

I also suggest loading 4s for game. At 40yards Subsonic4s have just a little more energy than#6 that started at 1400fps.

I can also claim that both 2s and #4 subsonics can take game cleanly.

The 12gauge sub's I am looking into now use a fast powder and should be good.

Cook.

Pressure is the key. Pressure is always the key.

Guest cookoff013

here is a load from alliant that i would persue, heres how i`d do it...

find original data, that has both high pressure and low speed. it must be that relationship.

20gauge

• 2 3/4-in. Remington Plastic Shells (STS)
  • 1oz shot wt.
  • Rem 209P
  • WAA 20F1
  • herco17.5grain

1oz of lead shot

17.5 grains of herco

1155fps

11,500psi

now the first thing to look at is that pressure is high, thats like 500psi below the maximum. thats going to be a clean load anyway. so its a clean load for not much fps. so i would easily start by knocking off 1.5grain. that would be enough just to knock enough puff out that load. thats not far off 10% reduction in powder. i know it will pop, because the original pressure is high. and these powders can pop happily at slightly lower pressures. only this relationship will work.

if you have a load where it has low ish pressures and high speed, then its going to need to take a huge amount of powder away from the load, but WILL end up blocking the barrel or having erratic variation.

pressure is key, pressure is always the key.

If the hush power moderated gun bleeds of gasses through the ported barrels, would a slow non sub sonic cart become subsonic due to loss off pressure up the spout, hence the post that Eley VIP were quieter in his gun. As you say cook you get them proofed but don't achieve the same out of your gun.

Friend of mine has a ou 20 bore ported along the length of the barrels and a full length silencer like a drain pipe, he stopped buying subs for his as normal classic game carts were no louder after firing.

Figgy

Edited by figgy