Another wasted 5 hours

shawi72uk

Same in the Cwmbran area went out yesterday not a pigeon to be seen, :rolleyes: tried shooting over rape the other day nothing, tried shooting in the Berch Tree forest nothing, even standing in an open field just hoping one flies over but nothing :) .... running out of ideas slowly to bring the little ******* in.

As already asked, what crop are you shooting on, then people on here can tell you from experience when and if the birds feed on that particular type of crop. Also depends what other food sources are around your land.

Keep watching the fields, and if you see birds start to hit, make a judgement whether you feel if you leave it another day or two, will those numbers build up, or will the food source dwindle within a couple of days and you should maybe take what you can straight away. Be where the birds want to be, rather than set up and hope they will come to you.

On watching the land, try to see if you can see any flight lines, even if they are heading to another area; If you can set up under or very close to that flight line, you may be able to decoy them down.

Ultimately, there are no guarantees in pigeon shooting. And this time of year they are grouping together, so you could see a couple of thousand on your field, one shot and they vanish for the day!!

Don't give up, it's never a wasted day, unless you could have done something better, but I can't think of anything !!

I've noticed that woodies seem to be on the sugar beet at the mo around my way, not that I've got any permissions as yet to shoot them but it don't stop me from noticing. And it's not just the pigeons that are being elusive. I've recently got a couple of small permissions to deal with rabbits. I've been told there are loads around, sometimes 20 or more on the back lawn in the wee hours. No matter where I hide up I don't seem to get diddly squat pass my way. Before I call it a day, I'll generally have a little mooch around to see where they are so I can plan my next visit to suit but have yet to count more than 7 in any evening.

I was out 1st thing this morning set up the hide placed the sillosocks in a huge V pattern- everything by the book as it were :)

A flock of around 60 birds came over the horizon and completely ignored my deeks- in fact they flew right over the top on my hide- I managed to bag 2 out of the three shots I put up- didnt see another bird all morning- but these are the breaks- I was shooting over Rape and yesterday I watched scores of birds hitting the corner of the field where I set my hide today- and today NOTHING :rolleyes: They were on a mission to some other food source <_< and it goes to show you can take a deek to a flight line and they ignore them lol

Life goes on and theres always next weekend or maybe tomorrow :rolleyes:

Les <_<

I'm finding the same also,

Will come and eat the rape but a few shots fired and they are long gone for most of the day it seems.

Must have something else to eat, not sure what or where it is though. :good:

I've been finding roost shooting as good as anything at the moment.

Not that you can bag many this way, and they are very high in our woods.

But feels good when you shoot the odd one. :rolleyes:

Chris

:rolleyes: Another 5 hour day and **** all should i keep going or leave it a few weeks for the pigeons to come of the berries ? :good:

Cheers

You have my sympathy, been there and stopped doing it. Just be ready to move when a hard frost is forcast together with a fine sunny morning, they will be hungry for the first few hours and descend on the nearest available rape.

Get your permission/possible hide positions sorted then wait, as said do your recces, time is never wasted just cruising and looking through the bins.

Good luck, Rob.

If you can find what they want to be on & you can get a few mates together to cover the other fields especially on rape, you can have some success, the birds are on the rape here at long last & we had 4 different hides out at first light this morning, as we were setting up the deeks the sky darkened with pigeon from the nearby woods 2-3 K :rolleyes:

The shooting was steady all day and we accounted for 188 birds between us.

SS