Hard times for the buzzards

Alpha Mule

This morning I spotted one of the local buzzards walking around in one of the open fields (used for horse grazing) mooching for stuff to eat.

I've never seen a buzzard do this before (OK I don't have much experience of this), but it has me worried for them. We have a regular pair and another one or two during the summers.

I have noticed that our rabbits have evaporated to the point of non-existance on the farm and some of the locals have mentioned that mixi has devastated their areas too.

Do I need to get down to Tesco and buy a £3 chicken for them? If I could find a rabbit to shoot on a further off permission I have, I'd happily donate it if required, but haven't seen much of anything lately.

There's a pair been nesting & breeding up the road from us for a few years - they regularly scrounge around the surrounding area.

Like Frenchieboy says, chuck them the odd bunny or tree rat. I know they're not the gamekeeper's friend but they do their job in the big circle :hmm:

I'm happy enough to see buzzards, but foxes irritate me (double standard?) I've seen loads of foxes around lately, more so than I have in the last 6~7 years.

We have loads of Tawney owls around too.

I'd quite happily reduce the fox numbers, but the FAC is proving troublesome (The farmer is saying that he is worried that the FEO will think he is giving permission to all and sundry :lol: (as is finding the cash for a rifle) and the MIL is just plain obstinate (bordering on bonkers (Doesn't like me killing stuff with a rifle, but used to get out on the horse for the local hunts every chance she could (we even have a fox head trophy stuck on the wall!)))

Anyway, rant over.

The buzzards are welcome to grub around and I'll keep my pennies for beer instead :hmm:

Thanks for the input.

Alpha Mule, I'm not finding fault but I don't think it is fair for us to make a comparison between Foxes and Buzzards. While Buzzards are basically scavengers and quite lazy hunters, only "chasing" down prey in extreme circumstances and only a threat to young pheasants and other game birds throughout the breeding season the Fox is a completely different charactor and will happily take any game birds or poultry he can get his teeth into at any time of the year and needs to be "controlled"!

Please don't take this as a "pop" at you personally, it is just my own personal thoughts and opinion!