28 gauge V's 410

rimfire4969

Whilst many started with a 410 most seem to have moved on to other gauges? It may be a gun for the expert ...

Look at the American Skeet averages where a straight in other gauges gets you in a 100+ gun shootoff, yet in 410 a 99 could get a top spot: and that is at 22 yards..

Apparently Sir Jackie Stewart uses one to straight the Gleneagles hi- tower consistently.

Yes it does the job, but it seems those who shoot consistently well with it can cope with the handicap and challenge... experienced shots: which may explain the frustration for us at the lower end of the scale?

Here's C. Bulls take on cartridges ..

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/ammo/1372...cartridges.html

The question may be more about what your 10 year old can handle in gun weight and size, than calibre.

With suitable cartridges, recoil and patterns etc can be balanced. A 10 yr old starter becomes an 11yr old fanatic very quickly with good tuition and encouragement. A 28 can grow up with him too.

• 2 weeks later...

i have just had the same problem by my son is a big 9 and breaks clays,he has started on a 28g but now shoots a cut down 28"browning citori white lightening 20g he has put through 150 carts in two days at practice and comp with 21/24 and 28 loads and he had no aches but if you are shooting game the 28g has a great pattern but the carts are more expensive ,i tried my lad on all gauges and 20 suited him its all about what suits the lad versus what you are shooting,what i love about the youngsters shooting is that their is no shortage of help and advice where ever you go,so it wont be long before you make your mind up GOOD LUCK

i would go for a 28 gauge every time. I shoot with one myself even on game days and there is nothing they wont kill that a 12 gauge will . a great gun light no recoil loads of fun. i bet you even have fun with it. :yes:

Spot on use one myself all the time it will kill as well as a 12 bore a few years back i had 2 right and lefts at Canadas all 4 stone dead the 28 has the same velocity as a 12 bore thows a tighter pattern so as long as you are on target it's a killer. the cartridges are not as dear ase they once were, 12 bore cartridge prices are catching up with the 28 bore i use mine for driven game days pigeons over the decoys and best of all rough shooting over my Cockers, rabbits woodcocks and phesants i used to shoot duck on the flight pond but non tox for 28,s are to dear so i i use a 12 bore now.