lamping on a full moon

codling99

me and rizla went out lamping last night,absolutely freezing,windy and really light :good: . been busting to christen my new tikka .222. was quiet slow going on first farm,after spotting one fox that didnt want to play ball and was adamant on sitting in front of a house :good: . second farm was a bit better with a bunnie or two in the bag.on to third farm,dead for most of farm untill we decided to rest up a min and have a call,well with in seconds of calling a fox came flying towards us and stopped about 8 yds away,which rizla missed ,only to hit it at 120 odd yds once i stopped it again. was gonna go home when i decided to check out a field at bottom of farm which meant driving round to it,worth the drive,spotted 2 foxes in field,one in hedge and one in center that ran off when lamp hit it.thought last chance ,so walked down field to see if i could get the one in hedge,wwas a bit awkward because i coudlnt really see exactly where he was sitting,and wont shoot unless i know exactly where it is. got to about 70 yds when i could see it cleanly,well its head anyway,body was curled up in grass we later found.perfect head shot from off the bipod,bit graphic but did the job,this years dog and vixen accounted for,job done. :lol:

31122009077.jpg

31122009076.jpg

Good result,I too was out last night usually have plenty of luck on a full moon as I think they get over confident being able to see so much more,covered the first 2 lambing farms(600 acres in total) nothing,on to the next still nothing even though there were several fresh born lambs,on again and after 3 more farms decided to call it a night,not one pair of eyes after covering 1300 acres,unreal cant think where they have gone.

Loads of bunnies out mind which could of proved a very expensive night out with me having my 223 and my mate with his 243,better have a session with the rimmy soon.

Only thing I have killed today being several thousand cluster flies in 2 homes, people intend to celebrate the newyear's arrival in!

Happy newyear and may your hunting be fruitfull through out 2010.

Keith

Did the foxes complain that you used a .222 in stead of a .22 250 :yp: :)

Good luck with your .222. I think they are great and enough gun for the job. I am changing my .222 Steyr Pro Hunter Mountian M2 for a .222 Steyr Pro Varmint. I gave a lot of thought about upping calibre but stuck with what works for me. Most fox are shot within 150yrs and many between 80-100yrs.

Those Winchester soft points will do the job. Keep all your brass. The .222 is a nice we round to reload; I use Winchester brass (old use cases from my early days). I use 50g ballistic Hornada bullet heads and Federal primers and varget powder and get great results by my standard.