Show some compassion

Fisherman Mike

Off course you going to tell your farmesr that pigeons cause massive damage

I guess you would need to do the work that I do before you truely understand.

It's not me telling the farmers anything, it's them telling ME!

In any one winter I could have 50+ rape fields to shoot over and it's a hell of a job keeping all those farmers happy. It's the one thing that stops me from searching out new ground, you can only manage so much.

It's nice in the spring or summer when they phone me to tell me about pigeons on their fields but in the winter it's a pain in the ****! I can have up to half a dozen phone me in any one day when we have a bit of snow on the ground, and they all want me there ASAP.

I agree that the spring is the key time for rape growth, but as I've mentioned earlier, I've seen them hitting fields right trough April and on into the summer.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every year I know of fields in my area that are ploughed in and redrilled due to a failed rape crop.

Usually a combination of factors are involved, but they certainly include rabbit and pigeon damage.

One thing being involved with this Forum teaches you, is that matters involving pigeons can vary widely from region to region.

Hi guys

I've been reading this post with interest since the snow fall on Monday Evening in my part of the country.

I've heard all about the winters of old and pigeons falling out of the sky, but I believe they were in the days before the abundance of OSR.

Where I live the snow was 8 inch deep, but on our shoot in cheshire to my surprise only 4 inch.

My opinion is farming as changed and OSR is the savour of the wiley wood pigeon when we get freak weather like we are experiencing at the moment, simply because it is sewn at different times around the country, hence different hieghts of the stuff.

Not only that farmers now grow crops for animal fodder for cattle through the winter so there will always be some food somewhere for them.

The pigeons below were shot yesterday over a field of turnips grown just for that, they had obivously been enjoying themselves looking at two of thier crops.

PICT0370.jpg

The one in the middle was bigger than the others yet had an empty crop, but if you look closely you will see the fat content that the bird had been building up so was definately not suffering.

Basically what Im saying is the wood pigeon is a survivor and will always find food somewhere, yes show some compassion if you see suffering birds over the coming weeks, my other suggestion is only shoot what you need to shoot, and dont over do it.

Here they are ready for the oven, time for me to enjoy myself.

PICT0373.jpg

As I see it you have a simple choice.

If the birds are in good condition and worth eating or selling to a game dealer then carry on shooting. If the birds are in poor condition there is no point in shooting them. If you cant use the birds you might as well take up clay shooting.

However if they are causing serious dammage to a crop even if they are in poor condition then carry on shooting them. U are trying to protect a farmers crop first and formost.

If the birds are in good condition and worth eating or selling to a game dealer then carry on shooting. If the birds are in poor condition there is no point in shooting them. If you cant use the birds you might as well take up clay shooting.

However if they are causing serious dammage to a crop even if they are in poor condition then carry on shooting them. U are trying to protect a farmers crop first and formost.

even simpler choice - if the farmer wants it shot, shoot it, if not, leave it <_<

U are trying to protect a farmers crop first and formost.

Wrong..... Sorry anser I dont agree

In my humble opinion....

We are shooting pigeons because its good sport and we enjoy it.... crop protection is a secondary consideration always has been and always will be. There are a few who have a vested interest who might hide behind the crop protection banner but IMO thats total ******** and always will be.

If anyone feels they must shoot pigeon weekly even in this foul weather at least have the balls to own up to the fact that you are doing it for your sporting pleasure.

Cheers FM

In my humble opinion....

We are shooting pigeons because its good sport and we enjoy it.... crop protection is a secondary consideration always has been and always will be. There are a few who have a vested interest who might hide behind the crop protection banner but IMO thats total ******** and always will be.

If anyone feels they must shoot pigeon weekly even in this foul weather at least have the balls to own up to the fact that you are doing it for your sporting pleasure.

Cheers FM

<_<

have to completely disagree there. if youre shooting for sport, good for you, leave the pigeons alone. but plenty of people shoot for pest control first and foremost, so dont judge everyone by your standards.

Im not.... its the truth. If we didnt enjoy it we wouldnt do it would we <_<

Cheers.

FM

theres a difference between enjoying shooting and shooting for enjoyment.

maybe im in a very small minority, but i got into shooting because i love guns. i started shooting when i was 8, but didnt shoot my first rabbit til i was about 19. the first two years i had my 10/22 i put about 7000 rounds through it, but only shot about 8 rabbits - im happy enough setting a target out in a field and blazing away; in fact its only this year when my uncle asked me to sort out a major rabbit problem that i stopped treating my 10/22 as a toy, per se, and started using it like a proper hunting rifle.

yes, i enjoy shooting, but unless a farmer has asked me to sort out a problem for him i usually stick to targets, unless im taking a walk out with a friend to bag something for the pot, which happens very rarely.

as i said, im probably in a minority, but thats my view.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion and to express it, the only problem starts when people try to force their opinions on other people, claiming their opinion is wrong.

As long as you are not doing something illegal, then you are not doing anything wrong.

Clearly the snow is affecting regions of the country differently, this makes general statements meaningless.

The rape in my area is not covered by snow and hasn't been all Winter, the birds seem to still be preferring what berries are left and only a few are on the rape and even then that is for short periods.

What birds I have shot have all been quite fat and in good condition, but I am not shooting double figure numbers.

There is no shortage of birds, but they are constantly moving and not committing to any particular fields.

Since the snow the most I have shot in one session (8), was when standing under some trees covered in ivy, opposite a rape field.

Most of my outings are pigeon scaring at the moment, not pigeon shooting. <_<

Cheers.

FM

[/quote

Plus, I cant recall thousands of farmers having a keen interest when the last General Licence was being drawn up by Defra, thousands of shooters and the BASC yes indeed, but good old Farmer Giles couldnt care less, if the Licence hadnt been construed in such a way to include the continuance of Pigeon Shooting then he would have just bought in more gas guns and whirly scarers. I seem to recall it was the CEO of the BASC who lobbied for the Terms of the GL to be clarified and not anyone from the NFU !

Perhaps someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers.

FM.

Cheers.

FM

Plus, I cant recall thousands of farmers having a keen interest when the last General Licence was being drawn up by Defra, thousands of shooters and the BASC yes indeed, but good old Farmer Giles couldnt care less, if the Licence hadnt been construed in such a way to include the continuance of Pigeon Shooting then he would have just bought in more gas guns and whirly scarers. I seem to recall it was the CEO of the BASC who lobbied for the Terms of the GL to be clarified and not anyone from the NFU !

Perhaps someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers.

FM.

i think im missing the point here. are you trying to say that pigeons shoudl only be shot for sport, and not pest control? as for gas guns, some of the biggest bags ive had this year has been when a gas gun was in use, after a few days the pigeons and crows get used to it, so thats not a great argument. as for the NFU, etc, not lobbying for clarification of the gl, well surely thats what BASC, etc, are for anyway?

but youre right in a way, most farmers i know/meet couldnt care less whats on the general licence, but if they have a problem they want it sorted. ive had to explain to two farmers in the past what i can and cannot legally shoot.

In my humble opinion....

Cheers FM

Agree there is not one person on here who shoots pigeons for pest control solely ,pleasure yes some for money .

Not one person on here who would go out and shoot pigeons who does not get enjoyment from it.

Pest control is a good reason to do it but it is secondary for most if not all pigeon shooters.

Thats why shooters pay guides money to source and provide pigeon shooting not because they want to control pigeon numbers ,thats why we have french shooters here.

It cost money to shoot alot at the moment with cartridges so high so why do it if you dont pleasure from it.

All the best OTH

I think the truth in 6 months time we could well be talking like the warreners after mxy was introducted into uk .

Regards OTH

Farming decisions are made with thoughts of years ahead, sometimes generations ahead. Who would ever plant a tree if they could only, selfishly, see 6 months ahead?

Rabbits recovered slowly because of the large (99.99%)proportion that were wiped out and the slow evolution of their immune system to myxi.

Surely you know about the evolution of drug resistant bugs because of the mis-use of antibiotics on livestock farms, and third-world countries.

Research has shown that the pigeons that are shot, would have died this winter anyway, but they can do a lot of damage whilst starving to death.

When I wanted pigeons shot on a kale crop, if someone said "Wait until the numbers build up so that I can have a good day" I got somebody else (from in town) to do it.

Edited by rjimmer

Pest control is a good reason to do it but it is secondary for most if not all pigeon shooters.

But pest control is the only reason you are allowed to do it.

I don't think I've shot one pigeon for at least 10 years. I don't grow anything that they eat at present

But I get a lot of satisfaction out of trapping magpies and crows, and shooting foxes.

Edited by rjimmer

I dont think many say that pigeon shooting is there job .

But it is far from a income it just helps and I am not french .

You boys seem very protective of the smoke screen of pest control.

Kind regards OTH

my views on shooting have already been stated, but i would question the use of the term "smoke screen", firstly, because some people actually DO shoot for pest control, and not use it as a cover for a few jolly's, and secondly, bear in mind this a public forum, if you want to shoot for sport then thats ok, but remember it sort of fly's in the face of the general licence - dont give the anti's any more ammo to use against us ;)

Farming decisions are made with thoughts of years ahead, sometimes generations ahead. Who would ever plant a tree if they could only, selfishly, see 6 months ahead?

Rabbits recovered slowly because of the large (99.99%)proportion that were wiped out and the slow evolution of their immune system to myxi.

Surely you know about the evolution of drug resistant bugs because of the mis-use of antibiotics on livestock farms, and third-world countries.

Research has shown that the pigeons that are shot, would have died this winter anyway, but they can do a lot of damage whilst starving to death.

When I wanted pigeons shot on a kale crop, if someone said "Wait until the numbers build up so that I can have a good day" I got somebody else (from in town) to do it.

As far as I am aware its not often that any pigeons becomes immune to 32 grams of lead shot .

I dont think I am being selfish by airing my views of what the future of our sport Yes SPORT hold.

Its not me who is only thinking of todays bags .

And after reading some of the comments after posting this it very hard to have meaningful conversation with some in a adult polite way without childish comments.

I dont think anybdoy is trying push there views on anybody as clearly some of use have a completely diffrent outlook.

I try to respect others which if some could on here it would be a start no wonder the world is in the poo .

Kind regards OTH

Edited by Over the hill

my views on shooting have already been stated, but i would question the use of the term "smoke screen", firstly, because some people actually DO shoot for pest control, and not use it as a cover for a few jolly's, and secondly, bear in mind this a public forum, if you want to shoot for sport then thats ok, but remember it sort of fly's in the face of the general licence - dont give the anti's any more ammo to use against us ;)

top man B.

But you cant educate pork mate.