Cockers vs Springer

Lloyd90

I have both cockers and springers and you can't really define their characteristics to just bold statements like 'soft' or 'headstrong' - so much is defined by the breeding lines.

See as many as you can working and go for whichever one feels right for you - either breed can do pretty much anything you ask of them if trained properly. They all have their own individual characters - especially cockers who sometimes seem to think that they are people!

• 3 weeks later...
:drinks:

Your dog is the spitting image of my Spaniel Jasper :lol: except it's clean :o

You have quoted me incorrectly! I would never advise getting a Sprocker.

I make no appolgies but I have no time for Sprockers or any other cross.

There are more than enough good pedigree dogs looking for good homes without adding Heinz57 to the mix!

Springer here.

Am on my second and fourth if you include family ones.

My Springer is up for anything, ploughs through all kinds of undergrowth like it isnt there. Retrieves for fun, and will do it all day long......

....and then there is the swimming. This dog cant stay out of the water, loves it, be it the sea, ponds or rivers. She even dives under water to search the bottom. Have seen her putting her head into deep puddles to sniff the bottom!!

Her only fault, which isnt really her fault, but mine as I left it so long, is she is a little gun timid. Not shy, just gets a bit soft while in a hide. As soon as there is something to retrieve, she's on it. I'm hoping she get conditioned to it the more she comes out. She's 5yrs old and retrieved a pricked pigeon on her first outing, no probs.

I really don't understand the "sprocker, best of both worlds" argument,

can anybody explain what the good parts are from each individual breed that combine to make sprockers the best of both? :good:

My personal choice is the cocker, I don't have anything against springers (we foster for a springer rescue), I just like cockers more!

Im a cocker man too. i do like springer's but there not for me.

Edward Martin summed it up nicely.

'a Cocker is a little person, no two the same. a Springer is, just a springer.'

i have the go head for the next cocker. just waiting for the breeder i bought from last time, to see what she is turning out. i do have one on order but not sure about the size. got asked if i would use my dog on a 3 yr old bitch but wife's not to happy about it as she thinks it will spoil him so waiting and watching at the moment.

ATB

Phil.

Having owned both I must admit that I could never go back to a springer after owning a cocker. Their personality is just amazing. Some people may find that trait as being an odd one to state as a 'plus' to owning a cocker, but for something that will live with you for 10+ years it certainly makes for a well rounded pet and worker. The way they behave at times is extremely human like, and the facial expressions say it all. More animated in a way than a springer.

I tend to work a lot of tight cover, where I firmly believe that the little cocker has the upper hand. Never had a problem with the largest of pheasants on the retrieve either - they are determined little *******.

As for training; they're a very different character to the spinger, but I enjoyed that and enjoyed the training process a lot more. They will test you like any other dog, but I can't say that it was any harder to train than the springer.

All-in-all it would be a cocker every time for me.

I can, however, see circumstances where people may prefer a springer. But, again, a cocker suits what I do perfectly. Horses for courses, perhaps.

Snipe.

I have a Springer and a Sprocker,

I've been fairly lucky as they seem to complement each other, Springer is fearless, will face any cover and works himself into the ground whereas my Sprocker is steadier, a little more picky with the cover he faces but is an excellent bird finder/retriever. I know some people arent keen on crossing pure breeds but i've seen a lot of Sprockers on the shoots i've been on over the last couple of seasons and many of them are cracking dogs.

A tough one to call and much depends on personal preference i guess.

I really don't understand the "sprocker, best of both worlds" argument,

can anybody explain what the good parts are from each individual breed that combine to make sprockers the best of both? :rolleyes:

Me neither. I think it's at best an aspiration.

For my money there is no such thing as a 'springer' or 'cocker' in the way people talk about. There are so many variancies in each breed that you can't predict how a dog will turn out. You usually end up with the dog that you deserve no matter what breed you chose.

I love my cocker bitch, she works all day and retrieves well. She is very steady and a pleasure to handle. The only fault I would have with a cocker is if you are looking to pick up regularly. Mine will retrieve pheasants to hand out rough shooting and when we are picking up but you can see her tiring as the day goes on. The shoots I go on tend to kill 250 - 350 bird bags and when you take into account the weight of a good cock pheasant pro rata to the weight of a cocker it is no mean feat for them to have to do all day. Partridges, no problem and I use mine pigeon shooting always. I shoot large numbers of pigeons and she will run all day picking them up. She hunts cover really well and will work the thickest brambles, tending to duck her way under them as opposed to jumping over.

I guess if I could have a dog the size of the cocker with the strength of a springer that would be the ultimate dog for me, but above all the cocker fits on your lap better in the evenings, :good:

Think a mate of mine knows someone having a litter of Cocker pups in April. Hes picking up a dog I think so I might go n take a look to see if theres a bitch in the litter :rolleyes: Could end up with one if its not too pricey, he knows the bloke and says his cockers are top class working dogs and work brilliantly :blink:

Me neither. I think it's at best an aspiration.

For my money there is no such thing as a 'springer' or 'cocker' in the way people talk about. There are so many variancies in each breed that you can't predict how a dog will turn out. You usually end up with the dog that you deserve no matter what breed you chose.

I love my cocker bitch, she works all day and retrieves well. She is very steady and a pleasure to handle. The only fault I would have with a cocker is if you are looking to pick up regularly. Mine will retrieve pheasants to hand out rough shooting and when we are picking up but you can see her tiring as the day goes on. The shoots I go on tend to kill 250 - 350 bird bags and when you take into account the weight of a good cock pheasant pro rata to the weight of a cocker it is no mean feat for them to have to do all day. Partridges, no problem and I use mine pigeon shooting always. I shoot large numbers of pigeons and she will run all day picking them up. She hunts cover really well and will work the thickest brambles, tending to duck her way under them as opposed to jumping over.

I guess if I could have a dog the size of the cocker with the strength of a springer that would be the ultimate dog for me, but above all the cocker fits on your lap better in the evenings, :rolleyes:

i think these two posta say it all really and i couldnt agree more.

two main points.

you get out what you put in with any dog and a cocker fits on the lap better at the end of a long day.

i cant wait till my next pup comes along. have to find the right one first.hehe. oh and get it past the wife as we do really really need another..lol.