Freezing water Supplies

Fisherman Mike

Any one on here work for one of the major water utilities.?

If so what sort of consistant temperature readings are needed before mains supplies start freezing ?

I dont mean domestic supplies inside the house and I know obviously that water freezes at zero celcius but presumably if we are constantly getting air temeratures of -8 plus then this will be the next nail for joe public.

I only ask as ran a sample from my main this afternoon and with a digital thermometer it read 1.12 degrees c. :good:

Any one on here work for one of the major water utilities.?

If so what sort of consistant temperature readings are needed before mains supplies start freezing ?

I dont mean domestic supplies inside the house and I know obviously that water freezes at zero celcius but presumably if we are constantly getting air temeratures of -8 plus then this will be the next nail for joe public.

I only ask as ran a sample from my main this afternoon and with a digital thermometer it read 1.12 degrees c. :good:

Ground temperture at a certain level stays near enough the same all year round, dont worry.

Edited by The BFG

Well I got up this morning to find we had no water.

The pipes in the house are fine I spoke to the neighbour this morning who said his supply was ok, then in todays paper it said there were quite a few houses without water in our street, and we are still off.

So Ive only had one cuppa today and will have to go another day without a shave looking like a tramp, just off to my brothers now to use his bog and pinch his water.

Well I got up this morning to find we had no water.

The pipes in the house are fine I spoke to the neighbour this morning who said his supply was ok, then in todays paper it said there were quite a few houses without water in our street, and we are still off.

So Ive only had one cuppa today and will have to go another day without a shave looking like a tramp, just off to my brothers now to use his bog and pinch his water.

Always fill the kettle the night before, that way even if WW3 is kicking off and the reservoirs have been bombed by the Nigerians at least you can watch it all come down with a cuppa.

Well we are now on our second day with no water our house was built in the 50,s so current reg's regarding the depth of the pipes wouldn't apply. My house sits higher up than my neighbours and he had water yesterday I dont know if he still has today I haven't spoken to him yet, nor have we seen any sign of united utilities not that it bothers me much Ive got some water for me brew so I'm happy.

I unfortunately work for a 'water company'...just a small part of a large dysfunctional orginisation thats ensures what you pass today...you can drink again tomorrow.

The mains will not freeze up, the water is travelling at a rate of knots around the system, and the pipes are deep enough, it's when it gets to ground level the problems start when freezing weather.

Plus we do add a few tons of tasteless anti-freeze into the ring mains..............................only joking...........

But no matter how deep the pipes they must have to come up to near ground level at some point to connect to your house.

Many older houses would not have the current regs piping to there home so could and will have burst pipes.

Regards OTH

Good point OTH but water service pipes should be bridged or ducted UNDER the foundations to keep them the minimum 750mm below ground level.

Blackpowder

In 82-83 two workmates had frozen pipes - one's waterpipes in house went down cavity so they froze up and the other had incoming feed freeze - he got a load of straw and piled it up along pipe route and set fire to it - never heard if it worked.

As said earlier run taps for a while just to make sure any ice starting to build up is removed.

We need these cold spells now and again to find any problems -- I have just found the oldish plastic double glazed windows suffer condensation so they look like they will be replaced in new year.

Dave

Good point OTH but water service pipes should be bridged or ducted UNDER the foundations to keep them the minimum 750mm below ground level.

Blackpowder

Only in modern house Blackpower but the most important factor today is that modern houses most have central heating which leaks a very small amount of heat which helps to maintain plus temps which keeps the water from freezing .

Alll the best OTH