semi

miroku man

I'm thinking of buying a new semi 12g camo, dont know which is best for me but like the look and features of the SX3, the AL391, etc.

I'd like a 28" barrel, 14 3/4 stock, fairly straight, idealy section1.

Anyone got anything to say about this type of gun, and its suitability, relyability, how it handles in the hide, etc?

Its a Robinson R44 Raven II and its for sale if you want to make an offer :good: only flown 420 hours out of 2200

I'm thinking of buying a new semi 12g camo, dont know which is best for me but like the look and features of the SX3, the AL391, etc.

Anyone got anything to say about this type of gun, and its suitability, relyability, how it handles in the hide, etc?

What you want to shoot may help answers .... eg Wildfowling on the marshes might need a 3.1/2 chamber (SX3) but inland pigeon and ducks maybe only a 3 inch is required. MC will give some sound advice on the wildfowling.

If it is just pigeon .... get a beretta either 390 or 391 if your budget will stand it or if not then a 303 or 302 etc. These last 2 I think have 2.3/4 chambers.

No doubt the Benelli fans will be along soon!

Thanks for your replies, the gun will be used for some general shooting of wildfowl, pest control, but will also need to be good for pigeon too. My budget probably wont stretch to a new 391 so I'm keen to hear about the sx3 as this is more competative on price. both take 3" shells I think.

The gun will probably be the only semi I ever buy and will need to take the riggours of all conditions and perform relyably.

I'm also in the market for a hushpower .410 pump, which I have some experience of. have you used one of these?

If you're looking at going Section 1 then I think the AL391's will be limiting. Xtrema2 is the way to go for Section 1 in my opinion.

With the Beretta self loaders you get various shims etc to alter drop and cast to suit you exactly.

Edited by Browning

Thanks for your replies, the gun will be used for some general shooting of wildfowl, pest control, but will also need to be good for pigeon too. My budget probably wont stretch to a new 391 so I'm keen to hear about the sx3 as this is more competative on price. both take 3" shells I think.

The gun will probably be the only semi I ever buy and will need to take the riggours of all conditions and perform relyably.

I'm also in the market for a hushpower .410 pump, which I have some experience of. have you used one of these?

That rules out a section 1 gun then,

To be honest if you want a gun for wildfowling then you want a 3 1/2" chambered one. I have a beretta extrema 1 and it has been faultless throughout its life. I use it religiously on the marsh and also as a rough/pigeon gun.

You may not need the 3 1/2" cartridges but al least you will know that there isn't a 12 bore cartridge you cannot use, mine cycles 21gr to 66gr without an issue. At least as well if you get a Extrema/SX3 or browning gold etc you will know as well that it is safe to use any cartridge up to and including High performance steel.

Id second the comments about the 391, i have one and its been a cracking gun. I use it for pretty much everything. As someone else on here said, there are a lot about now at a good price, if you can get away with only using 3inch cartridges.

With reagrds to the .410 hushpower pump, i also have one of these. It really depends on what you want to use it for. I find mine is quite hard to aim at things like rabbits due to the silencer on the end being bigger than the barrel - so i prefer my air rifle for rabbiting. For other things like pigeons, its fine. They have a full choke, so you have to be pretty accurate. The build quality of the mossberg seems indestructable, but they are a very long gun when you take into account the silencer on it. Also the "click click" of the pump action seems very loud when your lamping on a quiet night! Appart from that, i love mine, although i dont really use it enough to justify having it, its got a place in the cabinet.

Well if noone else is going to turn this into a Extrema 2 Vs Benelli M2 Vs SX3 argument thread, i might aswell :blush:

Get an M2 every other shotgun is a paint-stirring stick by comparison!! :good:

Awaiting the recoil-shy lady boys responses now . . . . :good:

DSC01810.jpg

Mark

Edited by Breastman

Hello me old mate, :good: I have a urika 2 that I use for just about everything including tuition.

However if you can get hold of one get the Extrema, it will do all you want to do and the kick off recoil reducer is great.

You can buy a new semi with 3 1/2 inch chambers now for less than £500, most of them made in turkey but they have some great write ups on them and some very satisfied owners plus they come in camo. :good:

Or you could just smack a bit of green and brown paint on the old Miroku mk70 G5. :blush::good: