blue wee

hendersons

While out shooting today i spotted on a number of occaisions blue snow where it would appear something had been urinating. The patches had all the required things for me to be fairly certain e.g. melted bit in middle few splash marks around abouts. was quite a lot of tracks around (fox, deer and rabbit)

does anybody know which animal does this just to satisfy my curiosity realy

nick

While out shooting today i spotted on a number of occaisions blue snow where it would appear something had been urinating. The patches had all the required things for me to be fairly certain e.g. melted bit in middle few splash marks around abouts. was quite a lot of tracks around (fox, deer and rabbit)

does anybody know which animal does this just to satisfy my curiosity realy

nick

Bottle it and sell it as screenwash :good: BB

going out again tommorow if the girlfriend ill lend me her new camera will take a photo then we can start the big blue wee debate

:good: not sure she will though last time i borrowed her old camera i ended up in a river hence new camera

just a thought is it possible rabbits would eat rat poison and would this dye wee

nick

the redish wee stains are rabbits,some are are darker than others,apparently,redder when coming into season. :lol:

just found this,might explain it :good:

The gist of it, is this: Our native rabbits (the eastern cottontail) have been browsing on an alien shrub (European buckthorn). The buckthorn contains a chemical that passes out with the urine, which comes out yellowish to brownish, but after exposure to sunlight, turns a lovely blue color. This effect is visible, of course, because the urine in question is suspended in snow. You would think that the cottontails are eating the berries of the buckthorn, because they are purplish, but according to the second reference above, the effect occurs after the rabbits eat other parts of the plant. Buckthorn holds its leaves long after most native deciduous plants, and in winter cottontails subsist largely on bark and twigs. The second reference also emphasizes that buckthorn is not a favored browse plant of North American herbivores, and that they have to be driven to feed on it out of desperation. I'm not sure about that; my workplace has enough Norway maple saplings to sustain a cottontail factory farm.

Urinary system Rabbit kidneys are unipapillate. Urine is the major route of excretion for calcium. Serum calcium levels in rabbits are not maintained within a narrow range, but are dependent largely on dietary intake, with excess excreted via the kidney. Rabbit urine is often thick and creamy due to the presence of calcium carbonate crystals. It can also vary in colour from pale creamy yellow through to dark red (often mistaken for haematuria by owners), due to the presence of porphyrin pigments thought to be derived from the diet.

Edited by codling99

I suspect that it was dropped by a bird. They have been eating what they can get and some berries could result in blues/purples. I have something similar on the side of my car that I think was dropped from the sky by birds.

Interesting though. The snow has revealed all kinds of things to us - like the route the rabbits take to the mother-in-law's allotment. We had no idea that they were coming from quite so far away! Similarly we have never had a problem with foxes around the hens (good fencing etc) - but it's now clear that Charlie does indeed visit regularly and circles the hen house every night - just waiting for a mistake.

We saw some massive bird foot prints too - I still need to check what they were made by. Looked somebody had been messing around pressing 'arrow shapes' into the snow as if directing the traffic. Each toe of the bird's foot looked to be a good 4" long. Heron?

Steve