Home Beer Brewing Advice - only 1.9%

agusta

I know there are a few home brewers here, just need a bit of advice :P

I've just brewed some Coopers Ale (20 litres), its now ready for the pressure barrel, checked the SG and it works out at 1.9% alcohol. I would like it a bit stronger :oops: should I add more sugar, if so how much, I have around 500g left.

Cheers

Edited by agusta

You could add more sugar, to raise the level of alcohol. Not vital, but I would be tempted to pitch a fresh sachet of yeast aswell. You will then need to leave it to fferment out again in the fermenter, not in the pressure barrel (unless you want a bomb on your hands!).

Out of interest, how much sugar did you add in the first place, what temperature did you ferment at and what were your starting and finishing hydrometer readings?

ZB

You could add more sugar, to raise the level of alcohol. Not vital, but I would be tempted to pitch a fresh sachet of yeast aswell. You will then need to leave it to fferment out again in the fermenter, not in the pressure barrel (unless you want a bomb on your hands!).

Out of interest, how much sugar did you add in the first place, what temperature did you ferment at and what were your starting and finishing hydrometer readings?

ZB

I added 1kg of sugar, my start reading was 1.040 end reading today was 1.025 ...... looking at it I may have calculated the % wrong, dont you subtract the two readings, its been a while since I've done this :P

I added the 500g of sugar, its now in the barrel, is that safe or should I unscrew the top for a few days?

I added 1kg of sugar, my start reading was 1.040 end reading today was 1.025 ...... looking at it I may have calculated the % wrong, dont you subtract the two readings, its been a while since I've done this :P

I added the 500g of sugar, its now in the barrel, is that safe or should I unscrew the top for a few days?

From memory, and it's a long time since I brewed, at 1.025 the brew was far from ready for barrelling, it was still fermenting. If not making bubbles, etc., perhaps you let it get too cold. Adding further sugar is only going to make matters worse, assuming it doesn't end up killing the yeast depending upon quantity of wort and type of yeast used. I agree with what's already been said, consider chucking in more yeast otherwise, at worst, you're going to end up with a very sweet beer.

I'd strongly suggest NOT fixing the top unless you have a very reliable safety valve!

I'd think that the brew's going to need re-barrelling once again once fermentation is actually complete.

Good luck.

1025 is nowhere near fermented out, you need to wait until it is down to about 1010.

You have got a stuck fermentation by the sound of it, and need to rouse the yeast. Give the tank a good shake to get air into the beer, and give consideration to pitching more yeast.

That is going to be some pokey beer once it is done with that much sugar in it :P

ZB

1040 to 1015 give you an ABV of approx 3.4%.

If it had gone all the way down to 1010 it would have been 4.08%

With the extra sugar you are either looking at something over 6% if the yeast does it's thing, or a lot of mid strength, very sweet beer.

ZB