28g cheapies

Why not just 6's though. Why not just spend the extra couple of pence and show some respect to your quarry!! :unsure:

So now you are saying I don't respect my quarry? I have full respect for all quarry I shoot and I think 6's are just overkill to be honest; I only shoot birds at sensible distances and I would say I shoot the majority of birds I fire at.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whereabouts in the above posts does it say 7 1/2's wont do the job at all. I have made it quite clear that they are not capable past 40 yards, I will repeat it incase you missed it again, 7 1/2's are not capable past 40 yards.

Come on benelli, keep up! You are a grown man (I presume) have some respect!

how do you know thery are not capable beyond 30 yards? have you tried them then? fitasc sporting is noted for having 70 yarder clays sometimes, even 8o on occasion, and the max load allowed is 28g. they do the job ok dont they?? in olympic trap where the clay is going away from the shooter at a hell of a rate, and going away targets require more energy to break them, 24g is the load allowed for these. and scores are increasing all the time. and the range that them clays are broken, if a pigeon flew across at the same range many talking about the 6s would not knock a feather out of them! so dont tell me they wont kill anything at 40 yards when i have done it

you wouldnt just be jumping on the bandwagon here ed because you think its the slightly more popular choice now would you?? you have said yourself that you are inexperienced. unless you have tried the 7.5s and know they are inferior to the 6s i cannot take your posts seriously. and of course i respect anything i shoot. although im not to sure about the word respect really being appropiate though to be honest. we all use that word, but im not sure its correct. the heavy shot guys must be very apologetic and remorseful when they do eventually wound a pigeon, as they did not show that one the utmost respect did they??

Well now you come to mention it i have used 7.5's and i think they are useless. Why use 7.5's when there are many more heavier loads out there? Its like going out with a .22 to shoot a fox. It maybe up to the job but why not use a .223.

Well now you come to mention it i have used 7.5's and i think they are useless. Why use 7.5's when there are many more heavier loads out there? Its like going out with a .22 to shoot a fox. It maybe up to the job but why not use a .223.

your opinion ed, you are entitled to it. many however do not think they are rubbish. i would conclude from that though that you are perhaps a shooter of limited ability

So now you are saying I don't respect my quarry? I have full respect for all quarry I shoot and I think 6's are just overkill to be honest; I only shoot birds at sensible distances and I would say I shoot the majority of birds I fire at.

How can 6's be over kill? I would much rather it be dead to be honest. Stick to clay shooting you only have to hit them with one pellet and there dead.

I'm sorry but if you 7 1/2's are useless then you mustn't be shooting very well. I have shot foxes in the past, while out shooting woodcock with 7 1/2's and I bet I am not the only one to do so. Although obviously it wouldn't be my choice of shell for foxes but I have had opportunities inside 30 yards. I just think shooting anything more than 7 1/2's while decoying is overkill. Just out of interest if you guys are wanting to shoot pigeons beyond the 30yard mark then where does your decoy pattern end? When decoying pigeons should be well within 30 yards.

How can 6's be over kill? I would much rather it be dead to be honest. Stick to clay shooting you only have to hit them with one pellet and there dead.

I don't shoot clays and never have. Don't try and advise me what to do, I can guarantee over a spread of decoys I will kill a lot more pigeons than I miss with a 7 1/2

how do you know thery are not capable beyond 30 yards? have you tried them then? fitasc sporting is noted for having 70 yarder clays sometimes, even 8o on occasion, and the max load allowed is 28g. they do the job ok dont they?? in olympic trap where the clay is going away from the shooter at a hell of a rate, and going away targets require more energy to break them, 24g is the load allowed for these. and scores are increasing all the time. and the range that them clays are broken, if a pigeon flew across at the same range many talking about the 6s would not knock a feather out of them! so dont tell me they wont kill anything at 40 yards when i have done it

Oh right, you are talking about clay shooting. How can you compare an inanimate object against a living breathing creature.

You are either not reading my posts properly or it isn't sinking in.

We are going back to one of your previous posts about smoking clays at 60 yards. I think you need to do some range finding research, and come back to me when you want to talk about shooting real pigeons, they are much harder to kill than clays!!

I'm sorry but if you 7 1/2's are useless then you mustn't be shooting very well. I have shot foxes in the past, while out shooting woodcock with 7 1/2's and I bet I am not the only one to do so. Although obviously it wouldn't be my choice of shell for foxes but I have had opportunities inside 30 yards. I just think shooting anything more than 7 1/2's while decoying is overkill. Just out of interest if you guys are wanting to shoot pigeons beyond the 30yard mark then where does your decoy pattern end? When decoying pigeons should be well within 30 yards.

Explain to me what you mean by overkill? Dead is dead. Winged is not dead

your opinion ed, you are entitled to it. many however do not think they are rubbish. i would conclude from that though that you are perhaps a shooter of limited ability

I have not once claimed to be the best shot in the world. However i would rather what ever i am shooting at to be dead.

Oh right, you are talking about clay shooting. How can you compare an inanimate object against a living breathing creature.

You are either not reading my posts properly or it isn't sinking in.

We are going back to one of your previous posts about smoking clays at 60 yards. I think you need to do some range finding research, and come back to me when you want to talk about shooting real pigeons, they are much harder to kill than clays!!

you are so predictable. you didnt read where i said about the energy required to kill a going away clay, it is more than enough to kill a pigeon. the pigeon only has a few feathers on it you know, you would know if u ever plucked any. you make them sound like some kind of terminators or something. the thing i dont get though is that more than myself have come on here and said they use 7.5s, yet you only single me out. why is this?? we cannot all be wrong or are we? is it all a big lie, no one here actually kills pigeons with 7.5s. it just seems to me to be a case of shooters like yourself just being in a comfort zone where they have what they believe to be the correct cartridge for pigeon burned into there minds. and god have mercy who doesnt adher to popular shooting trends

Explain to me what you mean by overkill? Dead is dead. Winged is not dead

As I like to eat the meat I shoot (because unlike you have suggested I do respect my quarry) I don't want to damage the meat by using a shot size which 'I think' is too large. Like I said this is my opinion, if you went into the poll I created you will note that I said there is probably no right or wrong answer, it is whatever works best for you and for decoying pigeons in the summer I have got good results using 7 1/2's. I don't think you are in any position to criticise the shot size I use as a) you have never shot with myself and saw the results & :unsure: you don't know how good a shot I am.

Answer me this guys; do you think 28g 7 1/2's are sufficient for shooting rabbits over ferrets? For everyone that says no then ask Glensman from on here about the day I took him out ferreting and shot every rabbit I fired at using this load.

you are so predictable. you didnt read where i said about the energy required to kill a going away clay, it is more than enough to kill a pigeon. the pigeon only has a few feathers on it you know, you would know if u ever plucked any. you make them sound like some kind of terminators or something. the thing i dont get though is that more than myself have come on here and said they use 7.5s, yet you only single me out. why is this?? we cannot all be wrong or are we? is it all a big lie, no one here actually kills pigeons with 7.5s. it just seems to me to be a case of shooters like yourself just being in a comfort zone where they have what they believe to be the correct cartridge for pigeon burned into there minds. and god have mercy who doesnt adher to popular shooting trends

I must be wrong aswell Benelli :unsure: . All those pigeons I shoot with 7 1/2's must be playing dead.

As I like to eat the meat I shoot (because unlike you have suggested I do respect my quarry) I don't want to damage the meat by using a shot size which 'I think' is too large. Like I said this is my opinion, if you went into the poll I created you will note that I said there is probably no right or wrong answer, it is whatever works best for you and for decoying pigeons in the summer I have got good results using 7 1/2's. I don't think you are in any position to criticise the shot size I use as a) you have never shot with myself and saw the results & :unsure: you don't know how good a shot I am.

Answer me this guys; do you think 28g 7 1/2's are sufficient for shooting rabbits over ferrets? For everyone that says no then ask Glensman from on here about the day I took him out ferreting and shot every rabbit I fired at using this load.

Yeah and i am only saying i would rather use 30/32g 6's. Maybe a little extra meat damage but still perfectly good to eat.

Benelli, stick to shooting clays because you seem to know about them.

How anyone can liken a clay pigeon to the real thing is beyond me. When you say what you did about FITASC and it being like shooting pigeons staggers me.

They have absolutely nothing in common.

We could keep going around like this all night, but it will be a waste of time.

I stick to my guns, 7 1/2's are not capable past 40 yards, if you want to carry on shooting them and 60 yards, please feel free, I won't lose sleep.

I can rest easy knowing what I use is the right tool for the job. :unsure:

fitasc sporting is noted for having 70 yarder clays sometimes, even 8o on occasion, and the max load allowed is 28g. they do the job ok dont they??

Most of us on here can break clays at that range and yes clays take very little energy to break, but you cannot compare that to killing pigeons cleanly!

There are those of us here that could undoubtably hit pigeons at those ranges, including MC, hes a bloody good shoot, but none of them would die!!!!

The main bulk of the energy in a 28g no 7 is gone after 30 yards and will no longer have the energy to penetrate and hit vital organs in the pigeon required to kill it effectivley past a decoy pattern,

And you seriously expect us to believe that you never take a shot out past your decoys??? whatever!

What Mc and the others are saying is that the heavier loads were designed to kill game more effectively, clay loads were designed to break clays which require very little energy to break, so show your prey some respect and use loads that were actually designed for the job.

You also need to grow up and show some respect to your fellow shooters, you admit yourself that you dont know MC, hes a very good shot on game and clays and I would certainly rather shoot with some one like him who does things properly and takes our sport seriously than someone like you who professes to shoot lots of pigeons with inadequate shells and then protests a wee bit too much when you get criticised for it, like you know its wrong but now you have made your statements you have to stick to it to stop yourself looking stupid. :unsure:

if seven and a half shot is wrong for pigeon why do eley and such like load sevens as a game cartridge.heres some figures from just carts size 7 1/2 2.3mm 400 pellets per oz 7s 2.4 mm 340 pellets per oz 6.5 2.5mm 310 pellets per oz 6s 2.5 mm 270 pellets per oz so is it the distance of the shot that is taken with 7 1/2 ie 30 or 40 yards that is in question or the impact of the pellets and the pattern

No, it's not all in your head, it's common sense, the more lead you get in the air, the more chance you have of a clean kill.

I wouldn't use 28 gram loads for pigeons, they're just not sufficient to guarantee a clean kill at reasonable ranges.

I use 32gram 6's.

Cat.

There you go straight from the horses mouth, someone mentioned aa class earlier, Cat has shot for England and is reminicscant of a robot when shooting, if anyone could smash pigeons with 71/2 its him....but nope....HE DOES IT PROPERLY!!!! :unsure: