28g cheapies

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I am saying is simple, 7 1/2's are not capable past 40 yards. They are as cheap as **** for a reason, to make clay shooting more affordable. That is what I got told in my local RFD. 5's and 6's are what I have always been told to use on live quarry, for this simple reason-they hit harder and carry energy further. :unsure:

I load my own carts and use size 6 or 7.5 shot and to be perfectly honest with 21.6 of red dot or 22.2 of vectan AS behind it, the result on pigeon and crow is indistinguishable? yes I get runners but have them with size 5 proper pigeon (fantastic carts) I honestly hand on heart cannot say 7.5 are less effective than 6 (perhaps the phrase hit em up front has something to do with it) again honestly it aint worth falling out over both WILL do the job.

KW

so the thousandas of people that shoot driven game this year. an the special brand cartridges, like the Vip and the high phesant, Mc i ask you why are these strictly game cartridges avaible in 28gram 7.5 how many partridge an pigeon an phesants do you think are shot with this cartridge weight and size ? Okay just admit you have bein soft an dont put the gun in the right place an have to you use a bigger load? and we will learn from your mistake.

According to both Hull and Eleys websites they do not load a 28gr 7.5 game load. So for you to ask why these strictly game cartridges are available in this load my answer would have to be that they aren't.

Yeah go on benelliboy,

Take Floating Chamber on about cartridge performance, that is a ripping apart I would pay to watch.

What I am saying is simple, 7 1/2's are not capable past 40 yards. They are as cheap as **** for a reason, to make clay shooting more affordable. That is what I got told in my local RFD. 5's and 6's are what I have always been told to use on live quarry, for this simple reason-they hit harder and carry energy further. :unsure:

A voice of reason for a change :angry:

ah thats good. maybe you will enlighten us all then and bring this healthy debate to its conclusion?? or are you going to refer to people as being pieces of old fruit like some demented pensioner???

Junior! I already have. Get a life old fruit!

Edit: Oops, methinks I'm next in line for a worrying pm! :unsure:

Edited by Floating Chamber

According to both Hull and Eleys websites they do not load a 28gr 7.5 game load. So for you to ask why these strictly game cartridges are available in this load my answer would have to be that they aren't.

Yeah go on benelliboy,

Take Floating Chamber on about cartridge performance, that is a ripping apart I would pay to watch.

you need back up mc then? at least you admit it. no i wont lower myself anymore. you brought nothing to back up anything you said mc, not one thing at all.

*** is with making sarky comments about peoples spelling mistakes, grow up :unsure:

Grammar, actually!

We owe it to our quarry to use the appropriate tools. If we read the instructions on the box and in the books, (and these instructions have evolved over hundreds of years), we would be better and wiser sportsmen.

I am too long in the tooth to argue with inexperienced, 'experts'. I do not suffer fools.

Edited by Floating Chamber

not being funny but I don't shoot at stuff more than I set up for in my kill zone, 30 yards being the max, those who have shot with me will know the term "NOT YET" I am rarely the first to make a bang and dont my shoot buddies know about it should they miss!!! why oh why are we talking 40 yards plus? let them come in to you, will find your kill to shot ratio improves miraculously.

KW

I think you all smell.

I've used some clay loads on pigeons. I've also used a lot of game loads. I've found that 28g 7 1/2 gave fewer runners than 32g 5 over decoys, most likely due to more pellets thus denser shot pattern.

However, they most consistantly die nicely with 30g or 32g 6's.

Lo and behold! This is what Eley, Gamebore and Hull load their dedicated pigeon cartridges with.

I've also used 30g 6 on clays, and a few 32g 5, and the clays are despatched quickly.

I once shot a hare, dead, at 62 yards, with a .410 in 1962. But I was young (15) and inexperienced. I had 'balling*' on my side but did not know what it meant. It was a very lucky shot and unlucky for the hare. I was soon put right by an experienced shot who threatened to bend the puny gun over my head. 'Have respect!' he said. I still cringe today!

Use the correct shells for the job and don't give shooting a bad name.

*balling: simply put, cold welding of pellets into a solid mass.

I think you all smell.

I've used some clay loads on pigeons. I've also used a lot of game loads. I've found that 28g 7 1/2 gave fewer runners than 32g 5 over decoys, most likely due to more pellets thus denser shot pattern.

However, they most consistantly die nicely with 30g or 32g 6's.

Lo and behold! This is what Eley, Gamebore and Hull load their dedicated pigeon cartridges with.

I've also used 30g 6 on clays, and a few 32g 5, and the clays are despatched quickly.

So your telling me you have shot at clays with 5's :unsure: You could easily chip at a clay with such a large shot size :angry:

clays have feelings to you know.

I agree that you should have respect for your quarry and use 5/6s when possible. :unsure:

However the Olympics is a very fast punchy cartridge originally made to shoot Olympic trap in the Olympics of course.

It does have the ability to kill pigeons at 40yds but only if your good enough to use 3/4 + full choke in the gun.

I am an AA class shot and can shoot pigeons out at 40yds without any problems . I used Olympics years ago when they where called Olympic Traps shooting pigeons with Jon Batley and the late great Major Archie Coats who use to often use 7 1/2s Eleys and they do work because they have a plastic wad to keep the shot together longer so more lead penetrates the bird. But do you want to risk getting a ticking off from the farmer about the amount of plastic out there and risk loosing your shooting rights ? :blink: Unless your sure you can hit them at that range WITH THE NESSASARY TIGHT CHOKES then its just not right.

If your going to use them with open chokes then stick to 25yds. or you will get runners. :angry:

You do not want a walker watching you from the hedge as they do, seeing you shooting but only injuring pigeons because you will soon have the police helicopter out and the anti`s etc,etc believe me, any excuse will do. :blush:

So your telling me you have shot at clays with 5's :unsure: You could easily chip at a clay with such a large shot size :angry:

clays have feelings to you know.

Good input!

Kdubya, I agree, within 30 yards 7 1/2's will do the job. But there is someone on here who is saying they shoot longer ranges than that, I only like to shoot at the height of the tops of trees, which in good old blighty is ABOUT 15-20 yards. Anyone who is using smaller than 6's for long ranges is either inexperienced or just has no respect for what they are shooting.

Come on boys, we all know what we are doing, why risk injuring something when there is a better chance of getting clean kills?

I once shot a hare, dead, at 62 yards, with a .410 in 1962. But I was young (15) and inexperienced. I had 'balling*' on my side but did not know what it meant. It was a very lucky shot and unlucky for the hare. I was soon put right by an experienced shot who threatened to bend the puny gun over my head. 'Have respect!' he said. I still cringe today!

Use the correct shells for the job and don't give shooting a bad name.

*balling: simply put, cold welding of pellets into a solid mass.

Is the balling a result of hot gases fusing the lead, or is it down to poor quality control at the cartridge factory?

(I'm not trying to stir up an argument, I am genuinly interested in this on!)

I'm with the 7 1/2 28g brigade when it comes to shooting pigeons over decoys and yes they won't kill effectively beyond 30 yards but if everyone's fieldcraft and decoy pattern are good enough then shots shouldn't need to be taken beyond this range. I am no expert when it comes to ballistics but I know from experience that 7 1/2 28g is good enough for me. If you are a good enough shot and your decoy pattern is good enough to pull the birds in then 7 1/2's are strong enough.

Good input!

Kdubya, I agree, within 30 yards 7 1/2's will do the job. But there is someone on here who is saying they shoot longer ranges than that, I only like to shoot at the height of the tops of trees, which in good old blighty is ABOUT 15-20 yards. Anyone who is using smaller than 6's for long ranges is either inexperienced or just has no respect for what they are shooting.

Come on boys, we all know what we are doing, why risk injuring something when there is a better chance of getting clean kills?

so now you are saying they are effective up to a point is that right? and that is because you have seen that i am not the only one to use them isnt that correct. and now you are backtracking in some ridiculous attempt to save face on here. read coachs post regarding arhcie coats, i guess he didnt know what he was doing either did he?? everybody will inevitably wound pigeons when shooting with a shotgun, regardless of cartridge. a kill of ratio of 1 to3 is regarded as being ok. with you guys logic it should be alot higher given that you are shooting proper pigeon cartridges as you put them. is that not correct. what happened to the one you winged at 30 yards over the decoys with your clear pigeons or similar cartridges?? yes thats right you have guessed it, you didnt put the pattern on it dead centre, or in otherwords, bad marksmanship. and coach i just happen to be AA shot as well for the record. i also have patterned a hell of alot of shells in my time, and know exactly what my cartridge and the particular choke i have in for the job, is capable of doing. i will say no more on this issue, as i believe it is flogging a dead horse.

I'm with the 7 1/2 28g brigade when it comes to shooting pigeons over decoys and yes they won't kill effectively beyond 30 yards but if everyone's fieldcraft and decoy pattern are good enough then shots shouldn't need to be taken beyond this range. I am no expert when it comes to ballistics but I know from experience that 7 1/2 28g is good enough for me. If you are a good enough shot and your decoy pattern is good enough to pull the birds in then 7 1/2's are strong enough.

Why not just 6's though. Why not just spend the extra couple of pence and show some respect to your quarry!! :unsure:

ok quick question i have been offered some eley olympic's for £120 per thou and was wondering whether they would be of any use on close decoying pigeons or shall i stick to the bigger stuff, because at a price like that it would be nice :unsure:

Going back to the original question i see no mention of pigeon 40yards away wearing kevlar jackets.

I see a mention of close decoying pigeon to which i answer 28g of 7.5 is plently man enough to kill cleanly. In fact i regularly use 24g of 7.5 out of a skeet choke myself (20 gauge) on pigeon fully within the kill zone for me that is usually 15-30 yards out with the landing gear down. In fact i have 3 times this year had two with one barrel stone dead in the air.

If birds are not decoying well and skirting the pattern then i either pull the second barrel with 28g of 6 or let them be until i have reloaded both barrels and maybe up choked.

It is horses for courses and about respect for the quarry. I have noticed no difference in the number of runners and tbh the quality of meat on CLOSE decoyed birds using 24g 7.5 is a whole lot better then something hit with 28g 6. Of course i am taking the 20 gauge standpoint here.

However when i do take a 12 gauge pigeon shooting it is a sxs and i for one can do without the headache and knocking about achieved using 100 or more 32g carts so i stick to 28g as well. Maybe if i were tooled up with a semi or a heavy o/u i would shoot 32-36g 5s or 6s at everything, but i still wouldn't be shooting at stuff 40-50 yards away as i am aware i dont have the ability necessary to kill cleanly at that range even if the cartridge and gun combination can.

So in essence choose your cartridge combination according to the way the birds are presenting and don't try to shoot beyond your own ability.

I don't like this guy, he has no respect for his quarry. Real pigeons are not made of clay, have the decency to shoot properly.

7 1/2's just dont carry the energy enough past 40 yards, if it can be done faultlessly, I want to see it!

Whereabouts in the above posts does it say 7 1/2's wont do the job at all. I have made it quite clear that they are not capable past 40 yards, I will repeat it incase you missed it again, 7 1/2's are not capable past 40 yards.

Come on benelli, keep up! You are a grown man (I presume) have some respect!

Why not just 6's though. Why not just spend the extra couple of pence and show some respect to your quarry!! :unsure:

you wouldnt just be jumping on the bandwagon here ed because you think its the slightly more popular choice now would you?? you have said yourself that you are inexperienced. unless you have tried the 7.5s and know they are inferior to the 6s i cannot take your posts seriously. and of course i respect anything i shoot. although im not to sure about the word respect really being appropiate though to be honest. we all use that word, but im not sure its correct. the heavy shot guys must be very apologetic and remorseful when they do eventually wound a pigeon, as they did not show that one the utmost respect did they??