28g cheapies

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I strongly suggest you do buy them, as many as you can ..............................

Then go to a clay ground and use them there just to get some great practice in :hmm:

but use heavier lead for wild birds such as No 6 size shot

For pigeons you need nothing less than a 3 1/2" 12 bore firing 52 grams of no.1 shot through extra full chokes and even then you should only fire at birds within 4 feet.

What ****!

Some of my best days decoying have been with 28 grams no 7.5. If you point the gun in the right direction they will do their bit.

For pigeons you need nothing less than a 3 1/2" 12 bore firing 52 grams of no.1 shot through extra full chokes and even then you should only fire at birds within 4 feet.

What ****!

Some of my best days decoying have been with 28 grams no 7.5. If you point the gun in the right direction they will do their bit.

fortune i think that 52g is a bit to light personally, no no i prefer to use a minimum of 56g! :welcomeani:

Point taken. Might have to blast off the pip squeek 52 grammers at some skeet then and stock up on some 56 grams. Eevn better might just take the .243 out and wait till they land. Even then I would limit it to 10 yards, pigeons are tough birds you know. Ive seen hundreds fly off with a 100 grain soft point in the head!

Point taken. Might have to blast off the pip squeek 52 grammers at some skeet then and stock up on some 56 grams. Eevn better might just take the .243 out and wait till they land. Even then I would limit it to 10 yards, pigeons are tough birds you know. Ive seen hundreds fly off with a 100 grain soft point in the head!

ok now you are just taking the **** :welcomeani:

And my question to you was "is every shot you take close?"

But you seem unable to answer it, maybe because you know deep down that 28gr of 7.5's are not a decent pigeon cartridge.

We weren't answering your question, we were replying to the OP.

Nevertheless all shots I take are in range of the cartridges I use and I don't use 7 1/2s as a preference but am aware that they can be used at reasonable ranges.

Interestingly everyone seems to be raving over the Mark Gilchrist video posted on this forum and strangely all those pigeon he is killing are being shot with 28gram 7 1/2s.

I am fully aware of the effective range of a 71/2 and also well aware that not every pigeon will be within that range and therefore would never recomend that anyone uses them.

A 32gr cartridge loaded with no.6 shot is capable of killing a pigeon out to the maximum range of a shotgun which is why they are the recomended cartridge by just about anyone who knows what they are talking about.

I am fully aware of the effective range of a 71/2 and also well aware that not every pigeon will be within that range and therefore would never recomend that anyone uses them.

A 32gr cartridge loaded with no.6 shot is capable of killing a pigeon out to the maximum range of a shotgun which is why they are the recomended cartridge by just about anyone who knows what they are talking about.

how many do you kill at these maximum ranges yourself then? and at what range is the maximum effective killing distance of a 28g 7.5? i assume you have done extensive patterning to come to all these conclusions?

No I haven't

I have never fired a shotgun at a pattern plate and that wouldn't show me anything anyway. It is quite easy to find out the striking energy of a given size pellet at any distance, just buy yourself an Eley diary. 7.5s at 40 yards do not carry the required energy to ensure a clean kill. But then you don't care about that do you and are only interested in buying and using cheap clay loads.

I have shot several birds at maximum ranges and killed them cleanly, only this evening I shot a drake wigeon on the saltings at about 35 yards with no.4 steel. If you get the shot in the right place and it has the energy it will result in a clean kill.

so how do you explain the pigeons i killed cleanly with eley olympic 28g 7.5s?? did i get a special batch or something?? you may get on to eley because they need to change that thingy you were talking about because they certainly carry killing energy beyond 40 yards. im afraid the more i am hearing from you it is showing your total lack of knowledge regarding cartridges and there capabilities. there is guys that kill pigeon with steel!!! and you are saying a 28g lead load aint up to the job. get a good shot to go out with you some day and give him a box of clay loads as you call them. i think you would have to eat your words

What ****!

:unsure:

No-one asked what the optimal cartridge was, you just introduced that to justify your griping.

The question was can they kill pigeons cleanly at close range and you know the answer is yes, so why keep digging a hole for yourself

Just admit you were wrong and hadn't bothered to read the first post properly before going off half cocked :unsure:

YAWN!

! ! ! ! ! ! !

How do I explain the ones you killed? they were nowhere near 40 yards.

You are really becoming boring now so this will be my last post on this subject. I obviously know nothing about shotguns or their capabilities and as the old saying goes "Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

I will bow out gracefully and leave you to give shooting a bad name by harping on about such absolute rubbish and injuring birds left right and centre.

The guys as you put it who kill pigeons with steel ought to have the shotgun certificates taken away as there is absolutely no need for it.

I would bet that a good shot with a box of clay loads would miss or think they have missed more birds at 40 yards than drop dead. But then again what do I know.

Edited by MC