Beaters Day

Martin g

Well chaps, I've got my first beaters day this sat after my first season beating.. Will be shooting pheasant and duck, followed by a clean up day on Monday..Well chuffed to have been asked and a chance to christen my lanber..

What tips and pointers would you pros give i.e cart choice, how many should I purchase, how much lead should I give the birds as I know the speed up, not slow down like the clays. And what does it mean when you draw a peg number and after a drive they say move up say 3 ? :yes:

take 30 or 32 gram 6's and I tend to have about 100 in the cartridge bag and more in the truck just in case we get carried away, usually this is on squirrels :yes: They actually seem to travel slower than clays so don't over lead them. Peg wise if you say pull peg 1 then on the second drive add 3 to it and you'll be peg 4. Other than that safety is everything on a beaters day, be careful make sure you know where everyone is and be very aware of where your gun is pointing when loaded and just enjoy it

Hi

Well i use size 6 shot on the pheasants i think they are 32g, i would of thought 1 box would do you, but get a couple just to be safe.

Hitting them well point at the bird and as you push forward pull that trigger, just dont stop keep swinging.

Pegs well you drawer a position say stand 1 on your 2nd drive you would then move up a peg in your case you would move up 3 pegs and stand at stand 4

have a great time and make sure those guns do the beating job correctly :yes:

As the others have said, relax and enjoy the day, if you get excited or tense up not only will you miss you may well take a risky shot.

I have only done half a dozen or so and they do vary from shoot to shoot, so I can only comment on my personal experiences.

We move up 3 each drive, but if you walking one, standing one, the peg number doesn't apply to the walking drive.

Best bet is familiarise yourself with the people either side of you, then you shouldn't forget where you are supposed to be (unless they forget as well :yes: )

Don't think people who appear to be massively more experienced than you will show you up, or look down on you - everyone misses.

Sounds boring I know but if you have any doubts don't take the shot, no one will care if you don't, but they certainly will if you take a low or dangerous shot.

Take a bag full of 6's, 30 or 32grams that will cover anything - have fun and let us know how you got on.

cartridge choice is down to what you feel comfortable with.me personally and i'll get slated for this :good: .i use hull soveriegn fitasc 7's for both partridge and pheasent for duck i'd probably go down to 30/32g 5's as the feathers are tighter.

as for how many you'll need you'll be the best person to guess.how many birds does your shoot,shoot on a day?and how good a shot are you?.this would be how i'd judge how many i think i would need.

as for lead everyone see's lead different,what someone see's in feet someone else will see in inches.if i was you start at straight at them and build from there :good:

don't worry about moving up peg's either,just remember you you are stood inbertween.unless you end up at either end of the line and one of the other people will be at the other end.plus someone will keep you right :good:

most importantly BE SAFE,if your not sure don't shoot and ENJOY yourself

best of look

Russ

Many thanks for the info chaps. Been really helpfull.. Typical bags have been between the high 80's and 100 mark this season.. Beacause the beaters dont get paid on this shoot we are being rewarded with a full english followed by about 6 or 7 drives and evening meal at the end with a kitty behind bar.. :good:

Personally I use 30g 5's, as I found some of the guns using were bringing down but not killing them. No. 5 seem to kill them stone dead.

I would use 32g but I have an old Cogwells and Harrison with 2.5 inch chambers.

I think the +3 has been explained above.

Normal have 50 cartridges in my pocket (for 2 drives) and few more boxes in the car. normal don't shoot more than 10 on a drive.

nick

and evening meal at the end with a kitty behind bar.. :good:

That's the funny part, you may see some of the old boys for the first time without their hats on, and some of them get all scrubbed up with jackets and ties :good:

Unfortunately I can't remember much of latter part of Saturdays evening do after overdoing the refreshments a bit :good: (everyone else seemed to be driving)

As said 30g-32g No6 should be fine but if they a very high i would step up to No5's thats what i generally work but there will be some high,high game where i will be & i take a slab of 250 with 100 or so in cartridge bag. As for lead its down to you & your reaction time so just try go with the flow & i would deffo find out how much you move up on your peg coz on all the shoots i go to we move up 2 so if you are 1 you go to 3 next standing drive you have. Listen to the rule's & pep talk at the morning meeting for safty & no ground game etc. Just try take it in as it can be hard at first & dont let poachers or others get to you as there's always one.

Hi al4x

They actually seem to travel slower than clays so don't over lead them.

I get the first bit ( Look to travel slower than clays ) but,I'm a little confused as to what you mean by "Don't over lead them" :yes:

Would you mind eloborating a little on this.

Cheers

Swingit

Please remember some non toxic if there is a chance of any ducks.

I'm willing to bet, that there have been no non-tox cartridges in anyones pocket on the shoot's that included a duck drive, that i've attended this year :yes:

People seem to accept anything from 30g #5 to 28g #6... for shooting ducks, and then wonder why they seem to flap around wounded!

Last year I refused to even fire a cartridge on the duck drive, this year I will be taking the 12bore and some bismuth #3's

I'll be out on Saturday. I've declined to shoot preferring to work the dog. Going on previous experience dogs will be thin on the ground (amazing how many dogs areleft behind on Beater's Day) so I'll use it as a good training exercise for flushing and picking up. Ruby is only on her first season and hasn't done much pheasant picking so far.

Am I still reading in to this the wrong way ?

Is al4x suggesting you don't give a pheasant as much lead has you would a clay ?

Swingit

pretty much obviously its within reason but a lot of the time they aren't going as fast as a clay, obviously you do get very high fast birds which need more lead but the average one isn't as much as you'd think.