My 1st rough shoot

jasper3

I had a phone call from a friend . "do you fancy a bit of rough shooting" now !!! do bars poo in the woods :oops:

got picked up saturday morning at 6am and got taken the 70 miles down the road

we were on the permission of my mates mate...and what a cracking fella he turned out to be

armed with no 5 and 6 shot we were after pheasant, wood pigeon, woodcock,rabbit and grey squirrel

we entered the 1st field and I got to see my 1st woodcock ever...what a beautiful bird.... I missed it :huh: never mind

we then went to another field were a pheasant was shot by my mate.. we walked down to the woods and I had my 2nd shot :o and got my 1st grey squirrel..

as the day went on I missed about 5 woodcocks... now!! ive not come across a clay that flies like these fella's :no::no:

I am still very much a novice

as dusk was drawing nearer , the pigeon's were coming into roost.. I shot my 1st pigeon before he landed...well pleased as it was a clean kill

then after another 10 mins my 2nd came.. another good shot...I was buzzing :o

the next day we went out with my mates mate mate (work that one out) :o he had a couple of ferrets and took us to his permission for some rabbits

we worked out a good safe way of shooting and then the fun started.....

it was fantastic to see the ferret working..in one hole and out the other bolting rabbits in all directions .... I felt a little uptight, never shooting like this before I was really worried about my area of shot..maybe a bit over cautious..but not a bad thing

anyway..I missed 3 rabbits...my mate said "relax" we can all see you take your safety serious and we are not worried by you....

we had a cup of coffee and a sandwich

back to another edge..the ferret was down..I was in a real good position were i didn't need to worry about anything or one...

all of a sudden buggs came running out... "Bang" instant drop 5 mins later ..the same thing...another 10mins passed "Bang" my 3rd killed instantly

we headed back to the woods , the same place as the day before..I had another two squirrels and two more pigeons... :oops:

now!!! I know its not a lot to report but... i had a great time and learnt soooooooooooo much.

now for the results of the kill

the 3 squirrels went to the ferrets..and i have been told , they really enjoyed them

I took home 2 rabbits and gave the 3rd to the ferret man

1 rabbit was given to my two dogs..we eat the other

the 4 pigeons are just about to be eaten done in a red wine and redberry sauce served with roast pots and veg

I know its not a lot to report..but Boy!!!! did i enjoy it :good:

and nothing went to waste.

jasp

Glad you enjoyed yoursef mate. IMO you were partaking in 2 of the best sports; rough shooting and shooting rabbits over ferrets. The possible reason you may have missed the woodcock was firing 5's or 6's at them :yes: , I never use anymore than 7's at them as there is not much to them. Anyway well done and I'm sure you'll not forget it for a while.