freelander

Blakloks

The simple answer is no, if you mean really off roading. It's really just a front wheel drive transverse engine car, with a viscous coupling to turn the rear wheels a little. However, It will tootle off the pavement and over some grassy fields and possibly go a little further than you think. But as mentioned, tyres make a huge difference.

Watch out for the exhaust at the rear, it's incredibly vunerable. A friend of mine with one ruined it just trying to get down a farm track to a driven shoot. At the field where I used to shooat at uni, there was a hill to climb at the corner of a field. It was nothing particularly serious, however if it wasn't bone dry the freelanders always had to be left at the bottom. discos, fourtracks, landcruisers, vitaras, etc generally got up with no problems.

It will get further than most jap 4x4s, but that mainly due to the driver.

lol classy reply. No low-range, no diff locks, centre diff with hydro rwd that is very prone to failure.

For gods sake steer clear of the early 1.8 petrol engines - their headgaskets were made of chocolate.

There is a group out there that off-roads these things around the country - I had to pull 2 of them out of the muck on Salisbury Plain two years ago with my old Fronty.

definately stay clear with regard to engine problems.

I looked into buying one a year ago I eventually went for an xtrail. When I told my local garage who we have used the last 6 years, that we going to get a Freelander he said "thank **** you didnt get one of

them there a piece of C***"

or words to that effect.

However Ive been hearing good things about the Freelander 2

I had the older style....yes it was a 1.8 K-series, and I had 58,000 miles of happy motoring, it was a great vehicle, and I can tell you with pirelli scorpions it performed very well offroad.... I sold it and about 10k miles later the guy had a head gasket go which was replaced with the modified version and it was fine after that.

post-10812-1264687478.jpg

I've had two, first was X reg K-series, had that for maybe a year with no trouble before deciding I wanted the new TD4 with auto box. I had a few niggles with that car, but for the most part it was fine.

Off road it was far more capable than I thought it might be. I got rid to get a Discovery, as the main thing that really bugged me about the Freelander was the lack of room inside. The inner trim was so bulbous as to remove way too much of the available space.

I have one (well, it's my mums), a 99 1.9 diesel, and it has its good points and its bad points

good

can be taken apart with an allen key and a hammer (very important with land rovers)

adequate off road (pulling horse boxes out of wet muddy fields)

very very comfy front seats

gutsy low down power

The back half of the roof can be taken off (3 dr), as well as the sun roof (would probably be a good lamping vehicle)

The back window goes down, which can be very handy

fair sized boot (get two bales of straw in no bother, with the seats folded forward, another 2)

bad

It's very hard to get into the back of the 3dr

electrics can be temperamental (door locks especially)

flat out, it'll only do about 80-85, cruising speed 60 ish

ground clearance isn't anything special

the 4wd wont be up to serious use

weird interior

Edited by shot shot

:yes: ive had my freelander 1.8 petrol for three years no probs 22 quid for a back box,it's on a/t tyres never let me down in any field,not just through the farm gates,i use mine for my hobby not as an hobby as most 4x4 owners like to be laid underneath the fookers all weekend,so if your a normal person who go's shooting in fields and not salisbury plain or needs winches to get you to your hide then it should serve you well :good: Edited by bandit man