452 varmint in .17hmr

sharpshot

The stock is slightly different shape, and the drip on the stock fits the hand nicer than the American (The left hand American doesn't have the palm swell anyway, but not sure about the right hand)

And the barrel is fatter and heavier. It's not a target gun either :oops: But will be slightly heavier to lug around.

thanks george not too bothered about the weight as i mainly shoot from the truck. whats the accuracy like on them?

There is no difference at all accuracy wise in day to day shooting, the only difference is weight!

I like them light for the field, and would never consider a heavy barrel for this application, simply down to personal choice, others like them heavier!! :good:

I have one, and think it's a cracking piece of kit. It's my usual pick for going after rabbits in the daytime. I don't find the weight to be a problem. I can walk for hours with it on my back, my local gunsmith who only really sells hunting rifles said that he sells most in the varmint model, as people find them to be a little steadier. I don't know if this is true or not, but i'm happy as larry with mine. With the bipod on i've found I very rarely miss (although I don't shoot at tremendous distances).

I'd highly reccomend one.

if there is no difference really in the barrels other than the weight then why bother making them thicker ?

thanks for all your replys. think im sold picking one up new at £430.

any recomendations on the mod got a sak on .22lr

Same reason as some cars are red and others blue, some have 4 doors and others 2, etc etc...because we all like different things!!!

The heavier barrels are likely to have the edge for target shooting because of balance and stability and heat transfer (but you will probably need to be of Olympic standard to notice any difference), and the lighter barrels are easier to carry and shoot in my book, and, if you use a bipod or lean on a fence post, tree etc then jobs a goodun. :good:

When I was looking for my CZ 452, a gun dealer told me the varmint was more accurate because the stock is slightly longer!!!!!

When I asked how the stock lengh could make a difference, he said its because its easier to shoot off bags (whatever that means!)

So I went to another dealer he just laughed and managed to sell me a 452 american and I love it.

When I was looking for my CZ 452, a gun dealer told me the varmint was more accurate because the stock is slightly longer!!!!!

When I asked how the stock lengh could make a difference, he said its because its easier to shoot off bags (whatever that means!)

So I went to another dealer he just laughed and managed to sell me a 452 american and I love it.

you made the better choice with the 2nd dealer..no wonder he laughed,as he knew it was nonsense. :good:

best try and stick with him,as you will know he will not give you wrong information.

al

thanks george not too bothered about the weight as i mainly shoot from the truck. whats the accuracy like on them?

I can't comment on the accuracy of the "American" as I have never used one. I have a 17HMR Varmint with a 20 inch barrel and can not fault the accuracy, if I miss then it's down to me and not the rifle! To give you an idea I have just been out yesterday to check the zeroing on my HMR and here's the results. The first and second shots needed a little "tweeking" but the other 3 shots speak for them selves accuracy wise. This zeroing target was set at 100 yards and I was firing from the prone position without a bipod!

post-17172-1264931703.jpg

i too have an american with the heavy 20 inch barrel.i fiteed a beookes trigger kit.i had it out yesterday evening and was giving sub inch groups at 120 ms.

CZ don't make a Varmint (heavy Barrel) American..do you have some sort of custom???

The whole point of the American is that it is light and fits in with American needs!! :blink:

if there is no difference really in the barrels other than the weight then why bother making them thicker ?

Got the Sirocco SM11 on mine, which looks quite neat on it and gives good sound reduction :bye2:

A lot of people on here say the SAK is more than good enough, and is a similar price to the sirocco, but the sirocco looks better I fink :angry:

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Much prefer the Sak to the Wildcat Cub or SM11.

I use a DM80 but the Whisper is OK too.

CZ don't make a Varmint (heavy Barrel) American..do you have some sort of custom???

The whole point of the American is that it is light and fits in with American needs!! :angry:

I have a Cz Varmint with a 20" heavy barrel ( not Ammerican though - they have a much slimmer barrel) Varmint = Heavy barrelled rifle is my understanding :angry:

Les :bye2:

i too have an american with the heavy 20 inch barrel.i fiteed a beookes trigger kit.i had it out yesterday evening and was giving sub inch groups at 120 ms.

The whole point of the American is that it is light and fits in with American needs!! :angry:

I have a Cz Varmint with a 20" heavy barrel ( not Ammerican though - they have a much slimmer barrel) Varmint = Heavy barrelled rifle is my understanding :yp:

Les :bye2:

:angry::yes::hmm::sick::sick:

Edited by Dekers

Isn't the difference that the varmint is fully free floating and the others aren't? Certainly the screw arrangement is different on the varmint when you strip them when compared to all the other 452's.

The american, style, silhouette all have a small metal stub that fits into the stock in front of the trigger and magazine mech, that holds the barrel to the action just in front of the magazine. The varmint doesn't; instead the little stub has been moved to the rear, behind the trigger to leave the barrel completely free floating. That and the heavier barrel is supposed to increase accuracy I have been told (possibly incorrectly).

Take one apart side by side and you'll see what I mean.

When is the 455 out? I (probably incorrectly :drinks:) thought it was being made cheaper than the 452?

Personally, I'd go for the American version in HMR :lol:

It's out now...but I think a word with Edgar Bros is required to get an idea when we may see some in the UK!!

When is the 455 out? I (probably incorrectly :drinks:) thought it was being made cheaper than the 452?

Personally, I'd go for the American version in HMR :lol:

I have the Silhouette in .22lr and HMR and the American in .22WMR...perfectly happy with them all, but I would have got a Silhouette .22WMR if they did one...but I could still get the stock and swap it over, not tried it but I'm sure it would fit.

So..choice of models does obviously get personal, and it depends what model is offered in which calibre...all mine are 452's ....and my lad has the Style in .22lr :o

The extra weight of the varmint barrel is there for a reason and it is for accuracy of multple shots. A varmint rifle usually has a heavier barrel. A varmint rifle is not a carry, calling, or stalking riflle: which the american might be slanted towards. The designation commonly adopted for a varmint rifle is one that is for multiple shots in a fixed location. A fixed location of varmints like a prairie dog town.

The heavier barrel does not heat up as quickly, a cool barrel retains its accuracy over multiple shots. The same purpose of why one would float a barrel. As the barrel heats up, a floated barrel is less likely to have its accuracy affected by coming in contact with the stock.

So if you are taking single shots, not really an accuracy issue. If taking multiple shots on single location, then a varmint barrel will affect the accuracy.

More important on calibers like 22-250, than a 22lr. I hope this might help a little bit of why. A simpler way is that 20th shot will be on the 1st shot in a heavier barrel. On a lighter barrel it will start to drift away, until the barrel has cooled down.