Quad bikes / ATVs

humperdingle

best advice is just buy a 4x4 anyway and show her who wears the trousers :good:

after that a quad is ideal but also hard to keep from being stolen, buy a cheap one and they are a nightmare to keep running as most have had a fairly hard life. Problem is by the time you buy a decent one you could have bought a cheap diesel 4x4 from ebay and kept it non road legal at the farm cheaper

Anybody have one? I'm on the alternative thinking that - Seeing as how the wife has vetoed a 4 x 4 - One of these little vehicles would be a great alternative. It could also probably be kept at my permission!

Advice? I'd be looking for a cheap Quad, so doesn't need to be large-engined or road-legal.

I am an expert!

1, Honda

2, Second hand Honda

3, 3rd hand Honda

I brought a 2005 Suzuki Eiger to use on a large estate for woodland/shoot work, two seasons ago. Really pleased with it, it can go into more places and do less ground damage than a 4x4, & fun to ride.

If you are used to off road biking it helps, or courses are available to help with safety - go easy and you will be ok. As one rider said," you come off more on X- country motor bikes more but it hurts more if you roll a quad.

I brought a good one as many are abused and can cost alot to sort out, take somebody who is well used to them to try out. :good:

The two posts above beat me to send.

Hondas are good but it always depend on condition - basicly the main Jap bike companies are the best, avoid chain drive models etc.

Edited by pigeon popper

I brought a 2005 Suzuki Eiger to use on a large estate for woodland/shoot work, two seasons ago. Really pleased with it, it can go into more places and do less ground damage than a 4x4, & fun to ride.

If you are used to off road biking it helps, or courses are available to help with safety - go easy and you will be ok. As one rider said," you come off more on X- country motor bikes more but it hurts more if you roll a quad.

I brought a good one as many are abused and can cost alot to sort out, take somebody who is well used to them to try out. :good:

The two posts above beat me to send.

Hondas are good but it always depend on condition - basicly the main Jap bike companies are the best, avoid chain drive models etc.

The ground covered would be field borders... No "Proper" off roading, so I wouldn't be expecting too many possibilities of rolling a quad... (Hopefully)

Also, a quad would be much easier to tuck away in the farmer's shed than a 4 x 4.

go for it mate bought mine two years ago i would say honda as well its the best thing ever you can go places you cant go with a 4x4 less damage to the ground for some reason the rabbits take less notice of the quad than they do the truck as well, Just one thing i would say is if you are getting one get a 4x4 model and not two wheel drive as you will find it handy at times!!!

The ground covered would be field borders... No "Proper" off roading, so I wouldn't be expecting too many possibilities of rolling a quad... (Hopefully)

Also, a quad would be much easier to tuck away in the farmer's shed than a 4 x 4.

only quote incidents I know of; one friend going too fast around a bend skidded into a tree and needed airlifting + alot of metal fitted into his leg.

Another well experienced lad on local estate died when his quad rolled, they appear stable but a hole in a bank is all it needs.

A 4x4 quad is usefull at times but I mainly drive in 4x2 so I can slide around corners - bit safer.

yep lock it well up, I have heard of a few quads all being nicked from local farms on the same day.

A 4x4 quad is usefull at times but I mainly drive in 4x2 so I can slide around corners - bit safer.

How about...................drive a bit slower!!?? :good:

Quads are a very useful tool but can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

I have 2, one that I use for spinning feed, a Honda.

And another which I use for all the other jobs, an Arctic Cat.

Both 4x4 as you would struggle to get to some places with a 2x4, especially with a load of grain on.

You can dissable 4 wheel drive for road use.

They are both good bikes but the Cat just has the edge over the Honda in my opinion.

Cheers,

Mark.

Artic Cat's seam a bit of a 'marmite' quad, from people who have them.

Why drive in 4x4 when it makes the steering feel heavy as most quads don't have a rear diff? as you only have to flick a switch when needed.

Sliding in 4x2 is a useful technique - doesn't need speed, but better for steering on slippy ground.

The ground I use my quad on is windy tracks - I made them around mature trees to stop off-roading types. and steep muddy banks .

Don't forget that Quad Bikes have (Or had) the Highest Death to rider ratio of any vehicle, they can be dangerous, due to the combernation of people not knowing how to ride them, not wearing helmates, and the rather serious issue that if flipped they will crush you.

Anyhow, they are very, very useful, but they are stolen so eaisly it is stupid. The only place I would keep an ATV these days is in a metal unit.

they are good fun, iv had one for 6 years and keep it in the shed at home,i ride it on all the farms i shoot.just for fun not shooting.its a

250cc.i would not keep it on any farm as said some one will take it.i bought it new and not done a lot of miles i only took it out one time last year, because a bad summer.

They have their place as a farmers tool to look up sheep etc, and I must admit in the past i have used one when lamping, however I remember it being bitterly cold, and pretty tricky to make sure everything was kept in check. For a shooting vehicle, I would much rather a 4x4, a small one , the likes of the sj410 would be perfect, and a darn site warmer in the winter with lots of handy places to store things. As for flying around on them, I have a moto-x bike for that and I find it to be alot more fun than quads which invariably seem pretty slow.

If you're new to quad bikes, I strongly recommend that you have a go on someone else's sporting quad to get some experience. Due to their much lower ground clearance, rear wheel drive only, and much less grip, they are a lot harder to get on two wheels than a utility bike. A farm quad will go up on two wheels if you push the speed (which you will) as the seating position does not allow for leaning into the corners. My cousin and I had many many near-incidents when we first started out. As others have said, they are very dangerous machines if you do not know what you are doing.

O, and buy Japanese :drinks:

Best bit of kit I have ever bought a Honda with selectable 4x4 goes places 2 tonne 4x4 can but without masses of land damage.

I tow it in 6x4 caged ifor willaims trailer and ride it off and then tow the trailer on the quad all my gear and dogs safe.

The quad comes into its own when ferreting as my dad and wife dont have to lump 20 rabbits three boxes and takes the strain off you.

Good for it you will never regret it.

All the very best OTH

I have a quad bike absolutley superb :good: get all your gear on and off, no carrying, no damage to the ground/crops like a 4x4, Im going to upgrade this year to a road legal one, My missus would let me have a 4x4, but it space at least I can get the quad in the garage.

Alan

Best makes:

- Honda

- Yamaha

If you don't know much about them they can be a pain in the backside, as they do break, but Honda's do survive better than yamaha's i've found.

Expensive to repair sometimes, but they are good fun, and are really versatile, theres not much chance of getting a quad stuck!

Nice! :drinks:

Am I right in thinking they only come in red though? :rolleyes:

If so where did you get the green plastics?

cheers,

Alex

what makes you think they only come in red :rolleyes: the dealers would have you think that as thats what Honda try to push in the UK in the USA you can even get Camo.... little ole UK gets sharfted

But not Pavman :rolleyes: