legal deer species for .22lr

bicykillgaz

i rang my local fire arms department the other day to find out what there stand is now on fox's and if they was classed as vermin and could they be shot with my .22. she said i could send my ticket in with a letter explaining why i wanted it and they could possibly change my conditions to say fox or i could put in for .22-250 which they recommend as foxing rifle.

while i was on the phone her system was playing up and was taking its time to load so i read the conditions down the phone to her and the first one is a) for the killing of legal deer species (not sure thats the exact wording my tickets locked in my cabinate) which made me think surely if it capable of killing a small deer it is also capable of killing a fox?

so basically i was wondering how small these deer are i'm guessing there smaller than a fox, not that i intend on shooting them before anyone starts about knowing your quarry and you should only use cf's for deer.

England and Wales

For Muntjac and Chinese Water deer only- a rifle with a minimum calibre of not less than .220 inches and muzzle energy of not less than 1000 foot pounds and a bullet weight of not less than 50 grains may be used.

For all deer of any species - a minimum calibre of .240 and minimum muzzle energy of 1,700 foot pounds is the legal requirement.

:rolleyes:

Gaz it has been legal in Scotland for some years to shoot Roe deer with CENTREFIRE 22. It has been introduced into England to shoot muntjac and Chinese water deer with CENTREFIRE 22 Roe still need fullbore calibres to be used in England. It is not possible to use 22 rimfire on ANY deer species

They sometimes make mistakes at the firearms department, it's true! :rolleyes:

They once put on my dad's ticket that he could use his .22 Hornet to shoot Deer (we're in Scotland).

This is of course not possible, and the mistake was highlighted and rectified at the next renewal.

I wonder how it would stand if you were to be prosicuted due to a mistake on their behalf that you thought was genuine?

Cheers,

Mark.

They sometimes make mistakes at the firearms department, it's true! :rolleyes:

They once put on my dad's ticket that he could use his .22 Hornet to shoot Deer (we're in Scotland).

This is of course not possible, and the mistake was highlighted and rectified at the next renewal.

I wonder how it would stand if you were to be prosicuted due to a mistake on their behalf that you thought was genuine?

Cheers,

Mark.

they've had it back once already when i moved and had to change my address wouldn't they have checked it then? i would think i'd probably be shown a bit of mercy by any judge but i wouldn't want to find out to be honest. i thought it seemed weird that i could shoot some form of deer but not fox my dad had fox down for his .22lr and we was living in the same village but his was granted 3 years before me so probably changed since.

is it worth me ringing and asking them if its a mistake? when i read it down the phone to her she didn't make anything of it so i didn't want to bring it up and sound cocky so just left it.

it says on my ticket 'a) the lawful shooting of deer' which to me means there would have to be some sort of legal species or they'd just not put it on, unless it means for humane dispatch but surely that would come under condition c) the humane killing of animals. :rolleyes:

Since the Deer Act Amendment, you can "lawfully humanely despatch" ANY deer with (.22lr etc etc), the Deer Act 1991 and Amendments make clear the specific calibres etc etc that can be used for Stalking.

Your condition is a misprint/misunderstanding or simply a cock-up!

It does not matter what it says on your certificate, the Law of the land takes precidence AND, the Firearms authorities go to great length to tell you to check your certificate and make sure it is correct, once you sign it, (and it is not legally valid until you do), all responsibility for the incorrect entries and any of your subsequent actions are yours and NOT the firearms dept!!

In simple terms they can **** up your certificate big time...and it's your fault if you don't get it changed!!!

Edited by Dekers

Since the Deer Act Amendment, you can "lawfully humanely despatch" ANY deer with (.22lr etc etc), the Deer Act 1991 and Amendments make clear the specific calibres etc etc that can be used for Stalking.

Your condition is a misprint/misundersatanding or simply a cock-up!

It does not matter what it says on your certificate, the Law of the land takes precidence AND, the Firearms authorities go to great length to tell you to check your certificate and make sure it is correct, once you sign it, (and it is not legally valid until you do), all responsibility for the incorrect entries and any of your subsequent actions are yours and NOT the firearms dept!!

In simple terms they can **** up your certificate big time...and it's your fault if you don't get it changed!!!

as i said i've no intentions of using it on deer so thats not an issue and when i read it down the phone to her no alarm bells went off at her end but i'll ring and clear it up anyway

you can if you have one foot on the floor like when playing snooker, and I think your famous bike will have an exemption

what about if i get stunt pegs on the back and my lampman who will be riding has a foot on the foor but mine are both off the foor?

Edited by bicykillgaz

as i said i've no intentions of using it on deer so thats not an issue and when i read it down the phone to her no alarm bells went off at her end but i'll ring and clear it up anyway

It has been a matter of concern to me for many years that a great many people employed in Firearms departments have little or NO knowledge of Firearms legislation, many are simply pen pushers who type forms!

The phone was answered at mine a couple of years back by a very pleasant sounding lady, to whom I proceeded to explain my question and after some time she replied...I don't know, I'm an Agency temp, I'm only here for the week...is it any surprise Certificates get cocked up all the time???!!!

What gives me even more cause for concern is that I often have to pick up my FEO on legislation when he spouts off incorrectly...perhaps the subject of another thread!!

It has been a matter of concern to me for many years that a great many people employed in Firearms departments have little or NO knowledge of Firearms legislation, many are simply pen pushers who type forms!

The phone was answered at mine a couple of years back by a very pleasant sounding lady, to whom I proceeded to explain my question and after some time she replied...I don't know, I'm an Agency temp, I'm only here for the week...is it any surprise Certificates get cocked up all the time???!!!

What gives me even more cause for concern is that I often have to pick up my FEO on legislation when he spouts off incorrectly...perhaps the subject of another thread!!

when i moved and my new feo came to check the cabinate and have a general get to know each other chat he studied my ticket and never picked up on it either and that was after it been returned to have the adress changed so it's been missed twice

I think you are confusing your rifle conditions which state what you can use your rifle for with the expanding ammo conditions which state what expanding ammo may be used for provided your rifle conditions permit it.

The standard Expanding ammo conditions state.

The certificate holder may possess, purchase or acquire expanding ammunition etc..................and use only in connection with. (1) the lawful shooting of deer (2) the shooting of vermin etc. (3)the humane killing of animals (4)the shooting of animals for the protection of other animals or humans.

These conditions relate to the use of expanding ammo only and not to your rifle which as I said can only be used for the purposes detailed under your rifle conditions.

One should not confuse the two.

charlie