long weekend

sbald

I really fancy visiting Pompei at some point but not sure you could fit that in a long weekend in Rome.

I'm taking the Mrs to the Canaries for a long weekend on Friday, not too far away and in the same time zone so won't mess my head up.

Where in the Canaries?

I am thinking of taking my wife away for a long weekend for her birthday at the end of June,

She is into history and I was thinking of Prague,Amsterdam or Rome.

Has anyone any ideas or tips as I cant make my mind up? :rolleyes:

Prague is very interesting historical wise, alot to see from in the form of the museum in the jewish ghetto plus loads of other curiosities.

Regards

Gran Canaria, found an all inclusive place that wasn't too bad and be nice to chill for 4 days and hopefully be a little warmer than here.

I lived in Teneriffe for some time and there it is now Carnival. It starts in Santa Cruz then spreads around the Island. Absolutely fantastic atmosphere.

Probably similar in Gran Canaria, if so make sure you wear fancy dress to feel at home. Traditionally the men dress as women. You can be a butch version ie obviously a man or as a lot of them do really get dolled up.

The history of this is in the days of Francis Drake and privateers they used to come ashore, rape the women and kidnap the boys and take them to sea.

The subterfuge was to avoid being kidnapped. Bit risky.

I lived in Teneriffe for some time and there it is now Carnival. It starts in Santa Cruz then spreads around the Island. Absolutely fantastic atmosphere.

Probably similar in Gran Canaria, if so make sure you wear fancy dress to feel at home. Traditionally the men dress as women. You can be a butch version ie obviously a man or as a lot of them do really get dolled up.

The history of this is in the days of Francis Drake and privateers they used to come ashore, rape the women and kidnap the boys and take them to sea.

The subterfuge was to avoid being kidnapped. Bit risky.

Think I'd rather go to sea

Rome is Brill, we went a few years ago for a long weekend, loads to see, good food and wine. Unusually we went in august as it was the only time off I could swing and it was quiet. We both said you could easily spend a week or more exploring there, never mind a long weekend.

Great fun at night getting sat down on a table outside in a piazza watching the world go by.

Try not to use the local taxis though. :good:

Rome is Brill, we went a few years ago for a long weekend, loads to see, good food and wine. Unusually we went in august as it was the only time off I could swing and it was quiet. We both said you could easily spend a week or more exploring there, never mind a long weekend.

Great fun at night getting sat down on a table outside in a piazza watching the world go by.

Try not to use the local taxis though. :o

I like Rome :good:

We went a good few years ago, for a few days (wasn't long enough). My wife wanted to go because of the Catholic thing and the Vatican and all that ballyhoo :P

I just kind of went along with it, but surprisingly, I wasn't bored and there was plenty of non-religious history there as well.

I recall the food being a bit pricey in restaurants, but the metro/underground was handy and cheap :/

We went in January :lol::P??? ??? ???:lol: :lol: but there wasn't a cloud in the sky, sunny every day, but ******* cold :good:

Edited by Chard

I like Rome :good:

We went a good few years ago, for a few days (wasn't long enough). My wife wanted to go because of the Catholic thing and the Vatican and all that ballyhoo :P

I just kind of went along with it, but surprisingly, I wasn't bored and there was plenty of non-religious history there as well.

I recall the food being a bit pricey in restaurants, but the metro/underground was handy and cheap :/

We went in January :lol::P??? ??? ???:lol: :lol: but there wasn't a cloud in the sky, sunny every day, but ******* cold :good:

I do remember the food being quite expensive Chard to be honest, I just tried to fill up with plonk beforehand and eat a bit less. :o

One thing that I really remember was how stunning some of the Italian females were. Which is good given it was a romantic weekend with my other half. :P