Cocker spaniel pup

TomV

Get him to look at you while you have his bowl of food. Lift it above his head (works when he's against a wall or cupboard so he can't walk backwards) and when he sits down to keep looking at the bowl, say sit. You can do this at every meal and just keep working on it. Soon enough he will sit when you ask him to.

For recall, just randomly get down and call him back to you and play with him. Make him think coming back to you is the best thing in the world.

The best advice has already been given. Just keep it playful and let them grow up in their own time before pushing them too hard.

The best thing I did with my cocker when she was really young was get her out with a tennis ball and let her play with that, running about doing turns and just generally getting her excited about running about with something in her mouth and in particular being out and about with me.

The most important thing is to bond with your pup so that they want to spend every second of every day with you. That way, when training starts properly, you'll get the attention you need from the dog and it'll work far better for you.

I can recommend Edward Martin's Cocker Spaniel Training Masterclass Pt1 DVD which has some great advice for the first few months of cocker pup training.

Available HERE

Good luck and enjoy!

great advice but surprised no-one has told you the most important thing u ever need for cocker ownership/training...........

choose the biggest hardest wall in your house,

using red paint, paint red circle bout size of dinner plate

above said circle write

HIT HEAD HERE

use this as often as you require when that little cocker pays no attention to what u have taught it,,,,,, then does what you want like its a ftch then just wags its tail and looks at you as if to say,,,u may be that stupid but i sure aint!!!!!!!........ :good::good:

let it be a pup and then enjoy the rest,,, wouldnt be with out mine even when she's doing me head in they are great little dogs........

I'm getting a cocker spaniel pup in a few weeks, does anyone have any good tips when dealing with a young pup. I'm wanting to get the pup trained to be a gun dog. What are the first steps?

You have got plenty of good advice here already, but it doesn't necessarily apply to all new dogs, every puppy is different and you will have to learn to read your dog in every way - either when it's playing or training, for feeding I personally allow my cocker to feed when it wants, I leave food with it all the time since it was 6 weeks old and he's now 3 years ols and in perfect condition, you need to build up a lot of trust between you and your pup when you are playing with it right through training it, I was luky, my pup was/is very smart - I had him retrieving (properly) pigeons from a hide at 7 months, I shot my pheasnts and woodcock over him at 10 months, I trained him on my whistle up to this season when I bought a 210.5 for him in windy conditions, within one days hunting he was on it like he'd been brought up on it, I really think training is all about the indivagle dog and how the trainer handles it.

f3

The best advice has already been given. Just keep it playful and let them grow up in their own time before pushing them too hard.

The best thing I did with my cocker when she was really young was get her out with a tennis ball and let her play with that, running about doing turns and just generally getting her excited about running about with something in her mouth and in particular being out and about with me.

The most important thing is to bond with your pup so that they want to spend every second of every day with you. That way, when training starts properly, you'll get the attention you need from the dog and it'll work far better for you.

I can recommend Edward Martin's Cocker Spaniel Training Masterclass Pt1 DVD which has some great advice for the first few months of cocker pup training.

Available HERE

Good luck and enjoy!

:good:;):P:lol:;):P 100%

love mine to bits..wouldnt have it anyother way....well !!!! apart from being woke up at 3 am EVERY NIGHT :yp: :yp:

:rolleyes::good::lol::good::P:P 100%

love mine to bits..wouldnt have it anyother way....well !!!! apart from being woke up at 3 am EVERY NIGHT :lol::lol:

Mine would die for me I have a 3yr dog, 7yr patterdale thats killed charlie for fun and 2 HWVs, but mi cockers mi boy.

Just remember this and you wont go for wrong.

You tell other dogs what to do and what not to do,

You negociate with a cocker, there that smart.

i fancy a cocker pup not only for shooting over but to work with the hawks,would they work with the birds ok or is a pointer better for bird work.any advice would be appreciated

I dont think they would be any good to go hawking with, at least mine would`nt be, you would be better off with a HPR, I have 2 HWVs they are the tops for usein with harris hawks etc, as the hpr says they will hunt, point and ret when its pointed your prey it flushes it out and you send the bird.

PS. The cocker would be to busy and upset the bird I think

Edited by abiteachuck

My cockers breeder uses her hawks over her cockers all the time. no problem at all. her dogs are used for picking up, beating and hawking as well as being companions. very versatile dogs with very big hearts. all she does with a new hawk is put the bird in a dog crate and leave it close to the dogs, this way the dogs get use to it. once one of her cockers got to close and the goshawk put it in its place. she has harris and goshawks

My cockers breeder uses her hawks over her cockers all the time. no problem at all. her dogs are used for picking up, beating and hawking as well as being companions. very versatile dogs with very big hearts. all she does with a new hawk is put the bird in a dog crate and leave it close to the dogs, this way the dogs get use to it. once one of her cockers got to close and the goshawk put it in its place. she has harris and goshawks

thats why i fancy a cocker so i could use it for beating,picking up and hawking instead of a pointer even though i like pointers to.