cold feet

berettaman

You can get Neoprene socks, but beware - warm for an hour or so, then once you start to sweat your feet cant breathe - sweat turns cold - so do your feet!

I suffer - I find the best route is natural leather boots with wool socks. If you have a rubber welly, try a thin pair of silk socks with wool over the top.

Neoprene is a great insulator, it's just the breathable bit...

Feet normally get cold because they get a bit sweaty or boots get damp then the moisture gets cold and you get cold feet. Try some army issue goretex boot liners, they are about £10 from the bay. Great for wicking away moisture and keeping your feet warm.

I also saw some heated boot liners on amazon or maplins site for around the same price. Now they are something I will be investing in, even if its just for a one day trial.

I'm a uk all weather scuba diver and find my extremeties suffer from the cold. If i'm diving early in the year and the water temps going to be in single figures, I'll hand my dry suit up in the airing cupboard and do the same with my undersuits. Taking a hot shower before suiting up will raise your core temp. My advice then if your feet suffer is to bring your wellies indoors the night before and get them warm before use, take a hot shower and if you still suffer, try some Weezle Underboot Socks or Xerotherm Arctic socks from Fourth Element, these are like sleeping bag material and will trap air around your tootsies. I'd wish i practiced what I preached though, the other week I couldn't shoot straight such was the pain from my toes...or at least that's the excuse I'm using!

Many moons ago I was advised to keep my boots (neoprene or not) in the dry and warm all the time, especially long before I intended to wear them.

Having (like most people) kept them in my damp and cold shed/garage, or in the back of my truck (equally cold and damp), I found the difference amazing.

If the boots start out dry and warm, they stay that way a lot longer.

Neoprene socks will never be as warm as decent pair of thick wool socks as long as your feet stay dry.

Firstly, as said above, ensure you're boots are warm before you put them on.

wear a good pair of four season knee length socks such as bridgedale, brasher or smart wool.

The difference between the expedition/4 season thickness and general hiking socks doesn't seem very noticeable when compared side by side in the shop but in practice it is very noticeable.

If you really suffer then use a pair or bridgedale liner socks as well.

It's essential that your foot wear allows an air gap around your feet which the socks fill. it also aids circulation.

If your boots are a snug fit your circulation will be impaired and there will not be adequate air to allow the socks to do their job. Nothing you buy will improve this situation other than another pair of boots.

Whatever foot wear you use spending £15-£20 on a decent pair of socks will mean that your feet will be as warm as is possible in those given boots. If it's still not enough then you need to consider a thermal boot such as a muck boot, grubbs stalker or a sythentic fleece lined boot such as le chameu vatna or laksen dunbar.

neoprene socks and porelle/sealskinz socks are designed to be used in a situation where the foot is likely to become wet due to the footwear not being waterproof. For example in a motorcross boot which is not water proof but is often used in water for crossing streams etc. They then work much better than a conventional sock which would be sopping wet and have much reduced thermal efficiency.

The neprene socks then work like a wetsuit by trapping a layer of water next to the skin and keeping it warm.

If you're feet are getting wet in a hunting situation you are using the wrong foot wear for the job.

If the neoprene lined wellies are supposed to keep your feet warm,has anyone made liners of the same stuff to go in other wellis :(

I have a spare pair of army issue neoprene socks (£10), designed to be worn over a good thick pair

of woollen socksand if it ever gets cold enough I'll be using them. Meantime I have neoprene lined

wellies or in less wet conditions thinsulate lined waterproof boots either way I say happily warm.

Thankyou for all your replies,you have given me something to think about ideally i would like to get away from wellies but as we are trudging over rough farm land you never know when you are going to hit a deepish wet spot,most of my problems arise sitting in the hide,winter more so the keeping still bit affects the tootsies in a big way,im thinking if i stick to the farm tracks as much as i can, then a normal pair of boots with the combination of socks on may be the answer for me :( .Trial and error i suppose :good:

I've always had problems with cold hands and feet.

I also have pretty sweaty feet so cotton socks end up damp-> cold.

For years I've been searching for decent socks that keep my feet warm but also

wick any sweat away.

This winter I discovered Icebreaker socks. They're not cheap at £13 / pair but

they are so good when I tried the first pair I bought I immediately bought another

two pairs. I have since bought more.

I've been standing ankle deep in snow for three hours in just cat boots with

a pair on and only at the end my feet started getting a wee bit cold.

They also don't make my feet sweat as much so have ended up buying

thinner ones and wear them ever day.

If money was no object I'd just dump all my other socks and buy 10

pairs of these!

Nial.

Edited by Nial