Baited foxes from last night.

sako751sg

post-18885-1267447291.jpg post-18885-1267447307.jpg

post-18885-1267447326.jpg post-18885-1267447341.jpg

post-18885-1267447361.jpg post-18885-1267447388.jpg

Was forecast a clear night last night so went to the Ma in laws to try for a fox at the baited areas.I have had 6 there since Boxing day and the bait has been going near enough every night so i thought it would be a sure thing.The last 3 times i have shot there,i have saw a pair cross the field about 50 yards the other side of the bait without stopping,and unbelievably they have never went near it.I kept thinking they probably had been going to the bait later on in the night and presumed that at least one of them had been in the six that i had shot.However,last Thursday it was quite clear so i sat all night and once again two foxes crossed at the same place,about 15 mins apart,and once again i knew it was the same foxes with one appearing very big compared to the other.Bearing this in mind,yesterday i ripped up a pigeon and spread it on the path they usually use,in the hope that at least it would stop them long enough to get a shot off.The moon appeared at 7.30 and it was like daylight.At half nine,a fox appeared from the opposite direction to where the 2 come at about 100 yards,and started sniffing at the bait.I stuck one up the .17hmr,and when he stopped i fired.On the hit the fox hunched and ran about 30yards(im presuming the shot was back a bit) and stopped so i gave him another one to which his tail went vertical and he spun round about 3 times.I watched him go into cover and thought he would go down quickly.I decided to give him a half hour and check,but about 25 mins later the usual two started crossing the field at the usual place,this time together.They were about 150ish so i grabbed the .243,and put the illuminated ret on the vixen,making sure i at least got her.When they came to the pigeon,the vixen stopped so i nailed her and the dog only ran about 20 yards to another bit of doo and i dropped him too.I went out straight away and found splash marks at both hits with the first fox,but a follow up produced nothing,even with copious amounts of claret in the snow and Rab having a good look..The dog in the pair was a cracker,very dark and big.

In the morning i shot a hoodie with the .17 at the bait,and then went to follow the blood trail again.I thought maybe Rab hadnt followed the foxes route,but in daylight i could see that he had followed the blood about 200yards where he had went into a thick wood,and although i worked Rab in it for a good 30 mins it never produced anything.Its a very thick wood with a lot of trees down and im hoping that hes lying dead in there and Rab couldnt get the fox out.I hate not retrieving something,but im sure he wouldnt have lived that long,and also hope.On checking the bait i found that there were fresh marks from when i was obviously sleeping,which was after 3am so i know there is at least another one cutting about.Hope its nay too long and boring folks.

post-18885-1267447554.jpg

post-18885-1267447570.jpg

post-18885-1267447585.jpg

post-18885-1267447603.jpg

The view from the bedroom where the 3 were shot.Also a look from where the 2 foxes were back up to the hoose.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="480" height="385">

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="480" height="385">

A couple of clips from last night,not very good in the dark.

Like it. Does the baiting thing work in summer as well?

All year round fella,but its better with the snow or a good frost for picking them up with the scope and binos.I feed it all year round and probably shoot it twice a month,using a good moon instead of a lamp.Outstanding for when the cubs are out feeding too,as the old ones must take them there for an easy feed,and they hang about and dont tend to run at the shot.In the summer i sometimes rig up a lamp,so that i pick the fox up with the moon,and then a quick flick with the lamp for the shot.

nice shooting looks like you're getting on well with the new gun. Have to say we had one run on Friday having been rolled over with a .223 sounded like a good hit as well so happens to everyone at times. Personally I reckon it won't have gone far just really annoying when they do it.

Nice job seems the way forward might have to start baiting myself

You should Craig.Pick a spot with good views and bait at different arcs that provide a good safe shot,and sit in the jeep in comfort.Its cuts out much of the guesswork of shooting foxes when you know they are regular to the bait.

nice shooting looks like you're getting on well with the new gun. Have to say we had one run on Friday having been rolled over with a .223 sounded like a good hit as well so happens to everyone at times. Personally I reckon it won't have gone far just really annoying when they do it.

Love the new rifle,but hate not finding the body for confirmation.Although you get a bit of leeway with the bigger calibre,if i had hit the engine room last night the fox would have been there.More to do with my placement than the failure of the bullet.Ive seen them run with much bigger calibres and the fox is a very hardy animal.

Cheers all for comments.

Good result my friend! It's a shame that you could not find the runner but like you said it is doubtful that he will have survived for long. I am however surprised that Rab could not find it thought, he seems such a great little worker! On the subject of Rab, it's nice to see the little chap putting in an appearance for the photo shoot with a mouth full of Charlie"!

Good read and top result. Glad your coping OK in all the snow up there :good:

We are coping fella,but a lot of the wildlife must be struggling.Thats nearly 2 months solid and that way too much.

Good result my friend! It's a shame that you could not find the runner but like you said it is doubtful that he will have survived for long. I am however surprised that Rab could not find it thought, he seems such a great little worker! On the subject of Rab, it's nice to see the little chap putting in an appearance for the photo shoot with a mouth full of Charlie"!

Rab usually does find them,and i can only think we the fallen trees and how thick it is that he maybe couldnt carry the fox out.He took his first fox back too me when he was 10 months old and hasnt stopped since.Great wee dog.

what reticle's on your nxs sako? just that im shopping for an np1 rr and dont know anyone that's used one

Its the DD.Does the job fine for me.Ive never bothered with the ladder style as i dial the scope in for ranges up to 350yards.Cant help you with the NP1 im afraid.

nice read , i read my mates book a few month ago cant just remember the title but its all about foxing and the book was £30, in it its says they shot a fox with a .243 it was a runner when they found it the bullet had taken its heart completley out, and it was 55yrs from the hit so you never know even with a perfect shot.

keith

Edited by abiteachuck

As always great read mate and good result. I have never tried baiting myself. What do you use?

Usually breasted pheasants ripped into pieces and dug in so the fox has to stick around a wee while to get to the bait.I also have a butchered roe carcass all year round in one bit,obviously have to put a fresh one every month or so,and this keeps them coming for a pick as its staked down.At the moment im using pigeons,but once the bucks come in it will mostly be gralloch but rabbit puds or anything will do.The thing is to bait an area,and when it starts going just keeping feeding until it is being eaten every night,and then you are usually sure of a fox or two when you decide to hit them.

Usually breasted pheasants ripped into pieces and dug in so the fox has to stick around a wee while to get to the bait.I also have a butchered roe carcass all year round in one bit,obviously have to put a fresh one every month or so,and this keeps them coming for a pick as its staked down.At the moment im using pigeons,but once the bucks come in it will mostly be gralloch but rabbit puds or anything will do.The thing is to bait an area,and when it starts going just keeping feeding until it is being eaten every night,and then you are usually sure of a fox or two when you decide to hit them.

Thanks for the advice, I'll probably do it next season when I have game carcasses and also rabbit guts etc.