Reluctant Sale English Springer Spanial

shawi72uk

This dog is 4 months old and an absolute star i was told this by dave at bottlingwood gundogs but the trainer said i need to be harder with him which im finding hard to do so i made the decision to let him go to someone who can be harder with him and train him better than i can <_< The bloodline and background of this dog is second to none and he fully vacinated and micro chipped and lives outside £200.00 no offers cost me £350 only 2 and a bit months ago

Steve

post-17326-1267550155.jpg

Edited by shawi72uk

Nice looking dog mate, but you don't have to be hard hard with them, you could try going down the reward training, you have got to be firm with that method. I did one for a friend who was in the same prediciment as you, firm friendly and a pocket full of *** bits and treats. Don't give up on the little fellow but if you do it looks like you are going to spend an aweful lot of money on buying a fully trained one, so stick with him,he deserves it good luck, Cheers Martin.

Im keeping him lads and dont worry i'm letting him be a pup he is my right hand man (dog) all this started from the trainer not in a bad way but saying he was a stubborn dog and i may have better luck with a softer dog as a novice

Steve

but who said it was going to easy ?

My first springer was very headstrong, but I have never had to be hard with him. I have to say that if a trainer told me I had to be then I would be looking for another trainer.

By using a combination of rewards and tone of voice I have got a dog that does what I want him to do. OK he is not the best but he is far from the worst. The hardest thing I have ever done is throw his lead at him. Not to hit him but just to make him realise you can still get to him even if he is out of arms reach.

Im keeping him lads and dont worry i'm letting him be a pup he is my right hand man (dog) all this started from the trainer not in a bad way but saying he was a stubborn dog and i may have better luck with a softer dog as a novice

Steve

but who said it was going to easy ?

I'm glad to hear that mate, you have a lovely looking dog there. Unless you plan to use the dog for field trials then you won't necessarily need to be firm with him. The pup I have at the minute is 9 months old (my first dog that I trained myself) and many times I felt like throwing the towel in, but she has been amazing this year and I plan to make her better over the off season. Good luck mate :good:

Great to see you keeping the pup. :good:

Get some lessons from a good trainer if it's your first.

I had probs with my first , went to a great trainer (for me not the dog :-) and she's improving already.

It's worth the effort and patience.

Good luck

This dog is 4 months old and an absolute star i was told this by dave at bottlingwood gundogs but the trainer said i need to be harder with him which im finding hard to do so i made the decision to let him go to someone who can be harder with him and train him better than i can :good: The bloodline and background of this dog is second to none and he fully vacinated and micro chipped and lives outside £200.00 no offers cost me £350 only 2 and a bit months ago

Steve

If you are convinced you can't manage with him and have to sell him than do so. However

I am not convinced that at 4 months he has shown any traits that would detract from training

at your own pace it is IMO far too early to tell . I have still much work to do with Ace and he is

my fourth ESS 2 years old and I have limited time to concentrate on training.

ESS are little beggars up to the end of their first year and

provided you keep pecking away repeating lessons and keeping them interested

they get the idea some days it is heart breaking but it does

finally work out .Failing that sending him away for training with a pro is an option especially

with the firey ones.Pro's can be hard on a dog because they want results fast it works

with a robust dog but those with different temperament can be spoiled by the rough and ready

approach. I know a dog from one of the best trainers in Wales that showed great promise as

trials dog but in the final cut he became very timid and was passed on to shooting pal.

PM me if you change your mind and want a chat.

Derek

has the trainer suggested having his nuts off as that will make a difference. Its a predicament and obviously you have to be prepared for the work and the hard knocks that come with it, there will be lots with a springer. What element of hard is your trainer talking about, is it being consistent and not letting the dog get away with anything or more than that?

Its a hard road and will be for the forseeable future and you will want to tear your hair out at times but keep at it keep going to training as much for you as the dog and make sure it gets enough exercise.

I was told something similar with my Cocker at 8 months old. I actually think the trainer was trying to get me and the dog to run before we could both walk. I stopped going and took things at my own pace and let the dog grow up a bit. So far it seems to be going well.

Have patience!!!

My little bitch is about 9 months now and has had limited training....most at home through the winter. She sits/stays to whistle, retrieves (or not if I decide to get it myself), walks well on a lead, turns on a sixpence at the call of her name etc. but i'm in no hurry as she's spot on/advanced for her age. Because her training has been short and often and done in a playful manner she's more than ready for some more serious stuff now the nights are drawing out. She's a real quick learner and very keen, I put this down to not trying too hard too soon, difficult if your keen to get cracking but it pays not to rush :good: I guess Roobs was about 6 months before doing anything too taxing.