chrome dipping shotgun barrels

cghjxfjxf

hi guys just going to throw this out there, i,ve had a bit of an idea to i,m prove the look of my bettinsoli 12g o/u,pretty much decided i,d like to chrome or nickle plate the barrels instead of haveing the traditional blueing as a finish why ? something differant and why not just wondering weather anyone has come accross this before i,m sure someones decided that they wanted there gun to look shiney lol.i no the process of dipping a metal object in a tank to acheive a uniform coating but any ideas on how i would go about blanking the barrels off without damageing the bores,same as i say just an idea i,m banding around at the mo so any suggestions would be welcome cheers happy shooting :oops:

Edited by cghjxfjxf

hi guys just going to throw this out there, i,ve had a bit of an idea to i,m prove the look of my bettinsoli 12g o/u,pretty much decided i,d like to chrome or nickle plate the barrels instead of haveing the traditional blueing as a finish why ? something differant and why not just wondering weather anyone has come accross this before i,m sure someones decided that they wanted there gun to look shiney lol.i no the process of dipping a metal object in a tank to acheive a uniform coating but any ideas on how i would go about blanking the barrels off without damageing the bores,same as i say just an idea i,m banding around at the mo so any suggestions would be welcome cheers happy shooting :oops:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :yes:

"YOUR MAD,DONT DO IT".......Thats a lovley gun as it is mate. :rolleyes:

You would be lucky if it goes back together once it has been chrome plated,i have a lot of my light fittings plated and sometimes it is a struggle putting them back together,screws and threads are a nightmare.

If you want a good finish then it would have to be polished in every little nook and cranny,blocking the bores would not be a problem ( just use a cork in both ends )

theres a ruger allweather that has the `target gray` barrels and looks fine for it ,tho its more a marine-cote finish .. i had a semi hammerless sxs that i bought in the `white` so that was all high polish and without engraving,i just put clear lacquer on and man it got some attention .specially as it had almost red brindle wood on it....very striking

if you want to chrome/nickle/anodize/brass/gold plate you do it n enjoy... just look at the weird n wonderful FT guns... why not do stuff to a clay gun? i shoot now at a club where 1 fella has 1 of the 1990s berettas that look like thier tie-dyed hes happy n so he should be cos hes not 1 of the sheep that end up picking the wrong gun up off the rack and are happy blending in to the heard...

stand out from the crowd n do it.

steve

theres a ruger allweather that has the `target gray` barrels and looks fine for it ,tho its more a marine-cote finish .. i had a semi hammerless sxs that i bought in the `white` so that was all high polish and without engraving,i just put clear lacquer on and man it got some attention .specially as it had almost red brindle wood on it....very striking

if you want to chrome/nickle/anodize/brass/gold plate you do it n enjoy... just look at the weird n wonderful FT guns... why not do stuff to a clay gun? i shoot now at a club where 1 fella has 1 of the 1990s berettas that look like thier tie-dyed hes happy n so he should be cos hes not 1 of the sheep that end up picking the wrong gun up off the rack and are happy blending in to the heard...

stand out from the crowd n do it.

steve

well i can,t afford a proper gun yet for clays so the betty does for that, i want to personalise it and don,t mind spending a few quid on it,as for the adonised pink comment lol that has been thought about for my wife lol,ive got a couple other guns that i can use for rough shooting if i do the betty this will be just for clays and nothing else.my main concern woz blocking the barrels up i thought chrome plateing was done under heat so won,t cork perish in the tank. :blush:

It is not a DIY project, in order to get the chrome to throw correctly a jig needs to be made

to get an even current density if you are determined a 'mould shop' technician will know what

to do and have the correct kit to prevent chrome flashing into the barrels and messing up your

choking and chambers knuckles etc it is time consuming and therefore expensive .

There is a process called electroless nickel plating which causes deposition

by chemical reaction and requires less preparation (no jig) but is a less common process.

I've been out of the industry for a very long time but I would suggest that unless it is

being done in say China it will cost more to do than trading it in for a gun that was made that way

with chromed steel barrels.

422272_L1.jpg

Edited by Delbert

Why not Anodised Pink :)

Please god don't let my wife see this :good:

The idea of a pink shot gun would be right up her street. Killing, but in a girley way.

Why not go the whole hog and have a 'hallo kitty' etched on the butt at the same time

You could try contacting these people......http://www.stainlessplating.co.uk/PROCESSES.htm for a chat.

I would take a very rough guess at approx £100 but it really depends upon how much preparation is required and what finish you want. Bead blasting first or similar would give a much matter finish to the plating.

The biggest practical problem might be whether it is legal or not to leave your barrels with them?

well thanks for all the comments guys i,ll let you no how i get on if i do it i,ll post piks i,m going to get the stock redone buy a chap off here and i,ll just have to see about the barrels i really want a 686e black but can,t stretch to that at the mo so don,t mind spending a couple hundred quid on the betty it wos my first gun so i,ll never part with it want to get it in as new condition.

• 2 weeks later...

id get them polished rather than plated ..... if u plate them and u do get rust on them at some point it will be ruined and need redoing all over again + it will add extra weight plating always does .... at least if u polish them u could just do a local repair on any future rust :hmm:

dont try it on your russian purdey because it will already have chrome bores and you will knacker it good style

explain to the platers where you want the chrome deposits and they will wax off where it is not needed

do you want the barrels hard chroming or are you wanting it to look flash ?

when i first started shooting i saw a bloke at nottingham and disctrict clay ground with chrome barrels :o

apparrently one of the guys who shoot's there does all this type of stuff,i did know his name but i've not been clay shooting for a few years now :o

would the chrome not reflect sunlight and shine possibly scaring birds off!

the guns going to be used for clays not rough shooting so should,nt think it,ll scares

the clays off lol unless something has drastically changed since last time i went its purely for aesthetic reasons tart up wot i got because i can,t afford what i,d like and want to be individual instead of a drone lol

A nice set of chrome barrels is just what you need to put every pigeon in the area off your decoys!!

You could get your teeth done at the same time for the full gangster effect and then paint the stock and fore end high gloss black!!

LOL Also make sure u wear a welding mask on them real sunny days because the refelction of the sun off that barrel could result in you moving real quick to try to get away from light and you blowing your shooting partners head off LOL.

On a serious note chrome plating i think adds a bit more metal to the outer surface of what ever it is thats is being done and dosent like being rubbered against other objects very offten before it starts peeling off like paint. Well unless it was a real cheap chrome plating job i see somewhere. It would the nuts on a gun that would only be a show piece but as a usable object i dunno