Dog Walkers While Shooting.

Pilky

While sat in a pigeon hide this afternoon on an area of land where i have permissions from the local estate, a dog walker walked straight upto my hide. When i infomred her that she was on private property the first thing she said was "right to roam". The estate has signs up at all access areas for this land stating "No Public Access, Private Property". She then questioned my right to be there etc etc.

Where do i stand with this right to roam ****:angry:?

Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

Cheers

Pilko.

I had someones terrier run straight through my pattern a fortnight ago no owner to be seen barking its head off right or wrong after 5 minutes of watching it go mental in front of us had to let a few shots off to scare it away. The owner followed another 5 minutes later straight across the rape! Told him he was trespassing and had just walked into the middle of a shoot he looked a little terrified and left but I'm guessing that's not usually the case

Years ago me, my dad and the farmer were shooting when we suddenly saw someone come into the field about 50 yards away with their young son who was probably about 5. When asked what the hell he thought he was doing as he was trespassing (the foot path is a couple of fields away), he said he heard gun shots whilst out walking and thought he would come and have a look to see what was going on. It was then pointed out to him that walking towards gun shots when no one knows you are there is not the smartest thing he has ever done, especially with a young kid in tow.

Years ago me, my dad and the farmer were shooting when we suddenly saw someone come into the field about 50 yards away with their young son who was probably about 5. When asked what the hell he thought he was doing as he was trespassing (the foot path is a couple of fields away), he said he heard gun shots whilst out walking and thought he would come and have a look to see what was going on. It was then pointed out to him that walking towards gun shots when no one knows you are there is not the smartest thing he has ever done, especially with a young kid in tow.

Priceless! Potential Darwin Award winner in the making

Ramblers/Dog walkers etc come in all shapes and sizes with all sorts of attitudes, I have had a multitude of debates with them over the years from pleasant, interesting and humerous to rude and threatening.

It comes with the territory and every situation needs dealing with on it's own merits.

Just be careful how you handle your gun in their presence!

Ramblers/Dog walkers etc come in all shapes and sizes with all sorts of attitudes, I have had a multitude of debates with them over the years from pleasant, interesting and humerous to rude and threatening.

It comes with the territory and every situation needs dealing with on it's own merits.

Just be careful how you handle your gun in their presence!

+ 1 here,

I've had the same, you base your replys on the merits of the encounter - some people just haven't got a clue about the laws on access etc.

I stalk a lot and when lowland stalking you come across a person in the low light in the wrong place - l just remind them that they are lucky to cross me with my years of experience, a lesser aware shot might have blown a hole in them from 200yards off and thought no more of it till they came to collect! - That generally works -

A good one for persistant dog walkers is to say - 'at 200yards your dog looks like a fox, at 250yards l wouldn't think twice about shooting it on private land thinking its a fox (has to be right colour etc..) then watch them leave with dog on lead.....

- If someone quote me from the rights to roam, l'd tell them to read them first before quoting them to me as they obviously dont know what they are talking about. The right to roam is given on common land or public highways. These include bridleways and footpaths, circular bike routes, red routes and obviosuly roads!

Tom