Shot size

jordan

using a reasonaby tight choke 3/4 or full, i was successful at driven fox with 36g BB, or No.2 36g . Others who i shoot with have used minin magnum in 40g, again shot size anything below 3 will do! I have found the ssg 9 ball round a load of rubbish, poor pattern out past 20 yards! They reccomend 35 yard max but a confident, good shot can obtain clean kills at 45 yards if hit in the head/chest area!

you wont go wrong with 36g BB! HTH

P.S. i got got a clean kill last night with 1/4 choke using 32g no.6 but this was a good head shot, lots of folk have shot foxes with them too whilst out pheasant shooting but it's not recommended and i can tell you they ain't up to the job past 25/30 yards in most instances!

The first question is, at what range do you expect to shoot at them ?

I would never shoot at a fox over 30 yards away, with a double barreled 12 gauge shotgun.

At that range I would be confident using 30 gms No 5, or 6 shot.

Its a lot about personal choice.

Be wary of using heavy loads of large shot sizes, in anything but a very sound gun.

Conversely, I would not use them in a "good" gun.

I have a love affair with winchester XX magnums in 2`s and they kill(at 50m) in my gun/choke combo,and that inspires confidence for me,and me only.

I can only say that you should beg borrow or buy allsorts of types of heavy loads and try them in YOUR gun/choke combo(at 40m) and then see what happens.

I have to say I haven`t been able to get these cartridges for a couple of years now and so I have to use my 2nd bests and I will never use these over 40m.

Hi Jordan, I've been out foxing a couple of times a week over the last 3 months and I've tried many different shot sizes and weights over different ranges. I found 5s and 6s work ok up to about 20 yards but didn't always kill outright and a second shot is often needed. SGs very good up to 20 yards but pattern poorly

and I would not take on shots past this. AAA 36gm very good to 25 but also pattern poorly at range. 42 gm 1s good up to 30 and my favourite load so far is

3" 50 gm BB which easily out perform anything else that I've tried out to 40 yards.

I always try to get the head in the centre of the pattern and seldom need a second shot. I personaly consider 40 yards long range for foxes. In my experience so far no shot size kills cleanly and consistantly past 30 yards other than BBs or 1s ( I haven't tried 2s yet) AAA and SG will kill well past that but its luck to get a pellet in the head with such poor patterns. 3/4 and full choke work for me with BB and 1s

Hope this helps.

regards

Ajax

• 2 weeks later...

Bit unusual as we rarely see foxes close enough to have a go at but just the other day while walking up pheasants on a disused railway line charlie popped his head out of the blackthorn about 10 yards ahead of yours truly before darting back down the bank towards my oppo. Shouted to him to look out and charlie doubled back and stopped out of my line of sight, my mate says he can see him but its not a safe shot so I moved down the line to get out of the way. Charlie decides to do a runner and comes up the bank again to my right giving me a lovely clear shot at 10 yards, 32 grams of No.6, of which he must have had the benefit of most and he's dead as muton without as much as a flicker !!.

Is that the railway line on the other side of the tove at the bottom of Sponne School playing field. If it is that's where i tried to shoot my first rabbit with a little Gamo cadet delta .177 air rifle about 13 years ago. Didn't get to take the shot cos a dog ran out of the bushes. That same evening me a friend saw a big black cat like thing going over a fence into the TBS yard. ( is it still there. TBS that is, not the catty thing ? )

Jim.

Is that the railway line on the other side of the tove at the bottom of Sponne School playing field. If it is that's where i tried to shoot my first rabbit with a little Gamo cadet delta .177 air rifle about 13 years ago. Didn't get to take the shot cos a dog ran out of the bushes. That same evening me a friend saw a big black cat like thing going over a fence into the TBS yard. ( is it still there. TBS that is, not the catty thing ? )

Jim.

Not there Jim, too near the houses and where the kids play to be shooting these days, TBS is still there and its still like visiting a different planet when you go in to buy anything. Goodness knows what those guys are on but it must be serious **** !.

Haven't seen the catty thing either :devil: