anyone else seen lots of pigeons

shawn9914

hi all,

just been out to check some of my permision today not shot since rape was harvested had a bit of a rest. i was pleasantly suprised to find lots of pigeons feeding on the rape in various fields. this time last year the fields were bird free mainly in my area. has anyone else noticed this and has anyone had any decent days over rape yet.

cheers shawn

Fields I have been watchin in the last couple of weeks there has been little activity on rape though i believe that is because there is lots of drilling still going on in surrounding areas another point is the rape is anything from 6 inches to one foot high in places,another point to remeber is when they do start feeding on rape they will make large patches very quickly. Where I am shooting at the moment one corner of one field is being eaten by rabbits thus keeping the rape down so pigeons can land in one corner and work their way across the field in question.

Fields I have been watchin in the last couple of weeks there has been little activity on rape though i believe that is because there is lots of drilling still going on in surrounding areas another point is the rape is anything from 6 inches to one foot high in places,another point to remeber is when they do start feeding on rape they will make large patches very quickly. Where I am shooting at the moment one corner of one field is being eaten by rabbits thus keeping the rape down so pigeons can land in one corner and work their way across the field in question.

got the exact same thing here? rabbits going for rape big style? I had'nt realised they even liked the stuff looks like I could have a few fur and feather days?

cheers KW

Lot's of Pigeons on the rape already in my area, (South Herts), although really big acreages have been drilled this year, and much of it is already virtually knee high..!!

I cannot recall them hitting the rape this early in the Winter season, it must be because there are no acorns or beechmast about..??

A big bag will need a lot of planning, just like a Military operation..!!, with all fields covered, so we bat them around like a ping pong ball..!!

Double H

Hi again

Went out yesterday and had a look at three rapes fields which I have been looking after the best I can for the months ahead back to yesterday spoke to the farmer who had just lifted a field of sugar beet and said there had been a lot of pigeons on it the previous days he was not wrong I had a look set up about one and by 4.30pm just before dusk I had bagged 17 woodies should have had more they got so close to me i shot straight past them, anyway good day will be back on that field on Sat.